1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our offense during crunch time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by howo13579, Apr 13, 2013.

?

What should our offense be like?

1. Harden ISO and trying to draw foul by extending his arms.

16 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Run plays for Harden using screens and ball movements.

119 vote(s)
    88.1%
  1. howo13579

howo13579 Member

Some of you might think this is knee jerk thread but I think it's a legit question if we want to get far in the playoffs. We have lost many close games this season because our offense became stagnant down the stretch. Last night vs Memphis, Harden ISO last 5 possessions. I can't complain the last one. He was open and took a high percentage shot. However the others were basically waste of possessions. Refs tend to swallow their whistle at the end especially if the contacts were initiated by offensive players. In the playoffs, games are more physical and I don't think Harden will get calls as easy. Should we run multiple plays or Harden ISO all the way the last few possessions?

2. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

it doesn't matter because it's mchale's decision. and you know what that is, unfortunately. but then again, even if he wanted to do something else, he can't because drawing up plays requires a thought process..

3. FearTheBeardJH

I prefer ISO, all the great ones have done it that way.

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Well, you can have a bit of both. But certainly Harden has to be responsible and actually look to score. None of the crap we saw last night, where he throws one fake and if they don't buy it he loses his dribble and gets stuck.

5. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I think the reasoning behind ISOs during crunch time is because there is less room for turnovers that way.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No way for Harden to learn to be a star unless he gets to be in these situations often despite failing.

7. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Trap Poll. I am not voting on it.:p

8. conquistador#11

apparently our coach doesn't like it. "Ball got sticky." really? I didn't notice. Make it unsticky! you're the coach.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The refs don't call fouls in crunch time. They're less apt to do that anyway, but especially with Harden. It's almost like they feel guilty for giving him so many free throw opportunities during the course of the game that they just decide they're not gonna do it in the last minute of the game, no matter how badly he gets fouled.

I think ball movement is the way to go in the final minute because you're not gonna gt a foul call. That said, I'd feel much more comfortable going that route if we were'nt the wort turnover team in the NBA.

10. verysimplejason

Vary the offense. If Harden can overpower/go past his defender, then ISO. If not, screens/ball movement/PnR. The key is being unpredictable or else defense can key in on Harden.

11. gengar

gengar Member

Is there any poll option that doesn't have Harden as the focal point in it? I'd rather we have free ball movement - non ISO that lets everyone score - so that it's not obvious and our shot-taker doesn't get double-teamed

12. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Zone defense is like the antidote for iso.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/q_with_daryl_morey_pril_5_2012_04_03.html

[rquoter]
    JCF: We’ve talked so much over the last few years about having that star come crunch time and all the mythology behind that. This team in particular though seems to fare pretty well and execute at an above average rate in clutch situations, even without having that traditional “closer.”

DM: I think the reality is that no one is any good at crunch time. I think if you’ve got a guy who can create his own shot then you’re better off than not.

I think the biggest misnomer people have … I’ve seen a lot of things like, ‘You should run a play. You should just do your normal things.’ Well, the reason why teams go with a particular isolation play, even though that often has a low efficiency because it’s just hard to score for anybody, I don’t care how good you are, is not because teams think that’s optimal for scoring, it’s because it’s optimal for controlling the amount of time the other team has after the play. If you’re just running a set and a team jumps it or tries to disrupt it, it can really change the timing of when your shot goes off and it’s a massive, massive difference how many ticks are left when the other team gets the ball.

So a lot of what people want to criticize coaches for which is ‘Don’t they know that guy is bad in isolation; don’t they know this?’ – it’s really because they’re not, in my opinion, thinking about the big picture which is controlling the clock the other way in terms of when your opponent gets the ball back. Even three seconds with an advance of the ball is a huge difference versus only having one second. The efficiency drop based on you controlling the clock the other way is a massive difference.[/rquoter]

2 people like this.
  14. visible

visible Member

at least feel like 90% of our close games were Iso harden this season. And 90% of them failed. you would think they have learned this is no going to work. keep dreaming.

Harden is not Kobe or LBJ or melo. even not curry's level. yet.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Here are team cluch-time stats:

http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamClut...ode=Totals&sortField=NET_RATING&sortOrder=DES

In games where we are ahead of behind by less than or equal to 5 points with 5 minutes remaining in regulation, our net +/- the rest of the way is +7.5 per 100 possessions. We rank 12th out of the 30 teams.

When we are behind or tied, by less than or equal to 5 points with 5 minutes remaining in regulation, our net +/- is -4.1, which puts us 16th.

When we are ahead or tied, it is +25.4 (!), which puts us 2nd.

16. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

#1 goal should be to make the shot, just like playground basketball. Can't rely on whistles.

17. hustle_town

hustle_town Rookie

For the last shot, harden iso, or lin iso, preferably harden, but you have to start expecting doubles on him.

As for that 4th quarter last night (memphis D is one of the best in the league, given) they really missed parsons on the floor. Because outside of harden and to a lesser extent, Lin, nobody had the balls to put up his own shot. Probably smart considering everybody would wonder, wtf is beverley/jones/asik/etc taking a (self created) shot in crunch time. Perhaps it was how Mchale wanted it in the 4th, but considering his rather erratic 4th quarter lineups all season, it was probably guys not wanting to be that guy jacking up a marginal shot.

The offense was also slowed by a lot of bad calls and bad non-calls, so take that for what you will.

At the end of the day, the sooner parsons is back on the floor, the better, and yeah the offense looked stagnant, but i think it was more the parsons issue and memphis d and bad officiating, than what they were actually running.

18. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Only when the rules mandated man-to-man defense. Today's rules you can put multiple defenders on one player.

19. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

If Denver's wins this year, there will be a change in NBA strategy as teams will try to copy their style.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am one of the five who voted iso. wow, i am surprised.