1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our next 5 oppenents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gr8-1, Jan 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

1/13: BOS (20-15) 7:30
    1/15: PHO (23-14) 7:30
    1/17: LAL (16-20) ESPN 8:30
    1/20: @ SAS (22-14) 2:30
    1/21: @ DAL (30-5) 7: 37

Combined record: 111-68. I think best case is a 3-2 record out of that. However, if there's ever a time that we'll have a 5 game winning streak, this looks like a very realistic stretch.

2. jh3lau

jh3lau Member

unlikely with yao 's injured today.

hope he can take a few games off to get him enough rest

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ouch! Brutal stretch there! Glad at least 3 of them are at home. Those next 5 games will REALLY tell us what kind of team we have!

Chris

4. cmellon

cmellon Member

I just hope Yao gets healthy quickly.

Rockets has to focus 1 game at a time. Very tough opponents ahead. The true test has begun.

I am going to be very happy if we can have 3-2.

5. cmellon

cmellon Member

What do you think the starting lineup will look like on the next game versus Celtics?

We know Rice, MoT, and Ming are all injured tonight.

Hopefully Ming recovers and is ready for Monday's game since doctors say it's mild and does not require X-Ray.

Posey/Griffin/Ming/Francis/Mobley starting lineup will really KICK ASS :D :D I can't wait to watch it.

6. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

can you guys answer this question for me...who the hell does these schedules?..i mean they let us have a 3-day break before going into san antonio..and the play dallas the next day..why can't they give us a 1-day break before going into san antonio and another 1-day break going into dallas...we for SURE gonna lose to Dallas..no doubt about that

7. cmellon

cmellon Member

In contrary, I think Rockets will be fine against Dallas.

Dallas does not really have an answer for Yao. Actually the next five teams don't have physical and dirty players, do they?

Yao has problems with physical and dirty play. Otherwise, he proves to be playing well.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Or is Yao enough to fight against a better Dallas zone and execution?

We need to bring our A-game and play as we should play in order to win...

9. prlen

prlen Member

No yao/rice/tayler all back
    1/13: BOS (20-15) 7:30 45% 55%
    1/15: PHO (23-14) 7:30 50% 60%
    1/17: LAL (16-20) 30% 45%
    1/20: @ SAS (22-14) 2:30 30% 50%
    1/21: @ DAL (30-5) 7: 37 30% 60%

so.....
    1.8win or 2.7win

10. Sane

Sane Member

The team we saw against the Nuggets can not beat the Mavs.

Realistically, we'll go 2-3. But that's OK, because this is really a BRUTAL stretch.

Boston, contenders in the East
    Phoenix, surprise team in the West
    Lakers, Champions
    San Antonio, contenders
    Mavs, best record in the league

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If we're going 2-3, one of them better be against Boston. Contender in the East would mean 8th seed in the west.

12. rocketsmetalspd

I have a feeling the Rockets will win all these games. I hope Boki gets some pt and Rice sits out the next two games. :D

13. Sane

Sane Member

You know, I browse the board so much. I just read 1000 times more than I post, and something I noticed is that every game is tagged as "this game will show what we're made of". If it's a bad, mediocre, or contending team, we always have questions. We always wonder where our team is going.

Unfortunately, I feel this team won't find it's identity all season, and it will all boil down to a playoff series where the true players will show their colors, and whoever folds will be gone in the offseason.

It's sad that we won't find our identity, but it's great that we have the pillars in place (Ming, Griffin, and Francis).

14. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Boston and Phoenix are not difficult games at all. Both of these teams will be coming on a back-to-back from a tough game in San Antonio. (again, that didn't help with Golden State, but that game was a fluke, I think)

For Boston this will be their third game of the Texas trip, and they are desperatlely lacking depth. Pierce and Walker are playing big minutes, they have GOT to be tired coming to the laptop.

Phoenix also lacks depth, plus I think the absence of Penny will really hurt them. Joe Johnson is talented and Jacobsen is serviceable, but neither has penny's experience.

If Rockets put up a decent effort they should start this 5 game stretch 2-0. Lakers-Spurs-Dallas is as brutal as it gets, but I think we go 1-2 there, so 3-2 for the stretch.

15. carayip

carayip Member

Heart says:
    Boston: Win
    Phoenix: Win
    LA: Win
    SA: Win
    Dallas: Win

Head says:
    Phoenix: Win
    LA: Loss
    SA: Loss
    Dallas: Loss

And that's assumed that Yao, Rice and Mo will be healthy to play. Otherwise without them, we may just easily go 0-5. :(

16. Sane

Sane Member

Completely slipped my ming that Penny's out. We may actually go 3-2 if we find the discipline to beat Boston, and the rhythym to beat one of the last 3.

17. Bullardbomber

Bullardbomber New Member

Even without Yao for the first two and a return of MoT uncertain...

Boston - Win
    Phoenix - Win
    Los Angeles - Loss
    San Antonio - Win
    Dallas - Loss

Perhaps the addition minutes for Posey will keep the Rockets defense aggressively effective...

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Obviously the key to Boston is the Walker/Pierce vs Posey/Griffin matchup. We break even there (i.e. hold those two to under 45) and Steve can hang with Delk, we win going away. I think the Rockets can definitely score on Boston.

19. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Phoenix: Loss
    Los Angeles: Win
    San Antonio: Loss
    Dallas: Loss

20. AGBee

AGBee Member

Hehe, got Ming on the mind?