1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Friend Cuttino retiring?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Codman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ashes

Ashes Member

That's sad news. I wish him the best.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

LOL no there was not.

He was still a good player and a fun guy to watch.

3. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Um, sorry but you're wrong. For a couple of years his first step was up there with anyone in the league. I'm not saying he was the best finisher, but his first step was EXTREMELY quick. Combine that with his good mid-range shooting, and you've got a pretty good player on your hands.

For the record though, how much your first step matters is fairly debatable. Joe Dumars (you know the guy that did a pretty decent job defending Jordan), said Tim Breaux had one of the quickest first steps he'd ever seen. Too bad, Timmy couldn't shoot worth a lick, among other things.
    He did reverse dunk on Deke one time though. :)

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I loved that team with Cat and Steve...........

We were underdogs, but we played with guts.........
    I miss that...........

5. Precision340

Precision340 Member

my prayers are with Cat!! hope all is well.. one of my many fav Rockets

6. killer instinct

Maybe one day his health will require him to be a team player......... probably not.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No he didn't
    HE TOOK LESS MONEY to stay with the Rockets
    [Rockets prompt rewarded his loyalty with a trade to Orlando
    . . . kind of the anti-Boozer]

Rocket River

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The contract he got from the Clippers was a nice payoff for plenty of hard work.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was always a team player, and a very, very underrated defender......

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cat had THE BEST STEP BACK JUMPER I have seen
    It was IMO his signature shot

Rocket River

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

how I so hoped we could've kept Cuttino.. in the Tracy trade..

12. parmesh

parmesh Member

Damn what sad news! The Cat was a very good player in his time here. He came from nowhere to the NBA (2nd round!) and his story is pretty impressive. Pretty darn good shooter and defender, gave us many great times! It's sad to see him go like this. I wish all the best for his health!

13. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I was a big fan of Cat. I used to love when he took those step back mid range jumpers.

One of the few players I continued to root for after he left.

Good Luck, Cat.

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

always loved cuttino's game. and any man who meows at halftime (when hot/in heat!) in the locker room has my undying respect! lol!

cat, to me, was the big loss in the tmac trade. he was ALL HEART, DEFENSE, AND EFFORT. he banged samantha, defenders, opposing point guards, and anyone who doubted his skills!

take care of yourself cat. ur a lifetime rocket in my book.

15. verse

verse Contributing Member

the more I think about it, it's truly ironic how as much as I didn't/don't like steve, I love(d) the cat. and they're best friends

I guess for me it comes down to maximizing your talent. no one...NO ONE...can doubt that cat maxed out every drop of his abilities. came into the L unheralded with a questionable j. developed a deadly shot, a lightning quick/long first step, and some serious defense.

I could excuse his occasional heat checks, cause that's part of being a scorer. that happens. I could excuse him being a slot machine. dude would not go right . he was nascaresque. didn't matter though. he kept bringing it. every game. no one ever doubted his love and dedication to the game.

he is and always will be, one of my favorite all time rockets. right there with madmax.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Cuttino was my second favorite rocket after Dream. I loved his game and always thought he was the better player between Francis and him. I just remember the year he averaged over 20 points a game on two bum ankles.

I thought we gave up too much to get McGrady. If somehow we would have kept Cat, we would have had no problems getting past the first round.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

thats terrible Cat was and still is one of my favorite players in the league.

i used to go to a few clipper games every year out here in LA to see him play and hear their old PA announcer go "CUTTINO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBLLLEEEEY!!!" It would send chills down my spine.

Loved the alley oops him and steve would have on the fast break....

the guy played hard when he was here in houston I hope him all the best and hopefully he will get to suit up for the knicks this year.

He deserved that larger contract he got from the clippers he was totally underpaid for what he produced on the court from his days in Houston. Not saying he was starving but in today's sports world of athletes trying to get the most $ possible he took less to stay somewhere he wanted to be.

18. BEN*

BEN* Member

Best wishes to him.

I was a Cat fan myself. :cool:

19. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

If the Cat was a horse, having an enlarged heart would be a good thing:

http://horsesonly.com/crossroads/xfactor/heart-1.htm

Today, the normal weight of a horse’s heart is 8.5 pounds. Even though Secretariat’s heart was not weighed at autopsy, Dr. Thomas Swerczek, head pathologist at the University of Kentucky, estimated it at 22 pounds after finding the second-largest heart in Sham (Secretariat’s Triple Crown rival) and weighing it at 18 pounds.

"I have done thousands of autopsies, and I had noticed differences in heart size in horses before we did Secretariat," Swerczek said. "I had picked up the difference in the male and female hearts and noticed that some were bigger than others.

"But I didn’t pay much attention until Secretariat came along. He was completely out of everybody else’s league. Looking back at what he had done, it was easy to put a connection to it. The heart was what made him able to do what he did. It explained how he was able to do what he did in the Belmont Stakes – a mile and a half race (Secretariat won by 31 lengths in track-record time). You would have to have a large heart to do what he did. It would be impossible for a horse with a small heart to do that."

20. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

aah..those days with Mobley and Francis..probably im going to see some of their plays at youtube..