1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our fate lies in Dwight's hands

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket2008, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Our team is starting to gell a little bit, we are exceeding expectations given our injuries, TJ is back, D-Mo finally blossomed, we have a deep bench, Ariza anchoring our defense and back to form, and ow yeah: we have our MVP!

While I want to be optimistic, most of our opponents in the playoffs have star caliber PGs and big men who will have our PFs for breakfast. While we can live with Beverley's ineptitude, given he still hustles and can get under guys skin and fire our guys up, I'm not so sure we can overcome our big man issue.

Think of Dirk, Tyson, Blake, DJ, Duncan, Ibaka, Bogut, Z-Bo, Gasol, Lopez & Aldridge. See our defense against the Nets' Lopez and you will understand my fear of these guys going off. On the other end, having a big who can make them work and commit fouls would help. This is where the return of Dwight comes in.

He is the one guy who can put us over the top since Harden and company will do their thing. He is the sole big man, who can scare the opponent from getting into the paint and make them pay. D-Mo and TJ, while very solid, the latter a great shot bocker and the other a good position rotating defender, picturing last year Aldridge for a whole series without Dwight would be scary.

Dwight is battling health issues so banking on him might be very risky, but to me, he holds the key. If he can accept that defensive role, COMMIT to that pick and roll offense and live with limited post up touches, we can be scary. So if he's healthy enough and can take some pressure off our bigs on D and on Harden on O, that would make it so much easier for us come play-off time.

The question remains of course: will Dwight commit to winning and sacrifice for the team or will he try to replicate his success last year with little pick and roll while demanding post touches? I hope he does and the whole team should expect he does, McHale should demand he does, because we need to get the most out of our talent and the big guy's skills.

If Dwight refuses to commit to the team, we are not contenders and will probably never be while he's here. I will lose all the respect I have left for him and will forever see him for the loser he is already (by many) perceived to be.

What you guys think?

2. a711

a711 Member

Isn't this what every thread is already about?

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Thank you Captain Obvious.

4. bongman

bongman Member

Wouldn't that be a given if you are the highest paid player on the roster?

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Any teams fate lies on its 20m salary for a single player

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Like DMo said, don't go into the forest if you don't want to bang the wolves.

7. bro2044

bro2044 Member

H e was still the best and most consistent player in last years playoffs for us. When he returns, I have no doubt we will see his game rise.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Forget DMo, Dwight Howard is the real x-factor. But the future is really in Dwight's knee, not in his hands. His hands are fine.

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The hands do the scoring and blocking

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Please name one thing that shows Dwight isn't committed to this team.

11. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Rocket2008 this is completely dead on accurate as an assessment.

I take issue only with your last issue, Dwight Howard's willingness to commit.
    If you look at last years playoffs, who was our real MVP ? We all know.
    Last year who appeared to give his all every time on the court and changed so many outcomes ? DH

Game Changer. he has been in this league long enough to know it takes a complete team, each playing their role.
    With the addition of both Terry and Smith, I believe the advice and counsel needed to keep him focused and on point os on the floor with him.

I fully expect Dwight Howard to be a DEFENSIVE BEAST in the playoffs. And that my friend, is exactly what you are aiming at in so many words.

Go Rockets !

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dear diary,

13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Our fate lies in his knees.

14. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

FIVE STAR THREAD

15. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Not willing to commit to pick and roll offense, even last year's playoffs when the few times we did, it was a thing of beauty and they could not stop it.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I think Dwight needs to play a Deandre Jordan role. Anytime he scores in the post just seems like extra (unless it's like how easily he was scoring in the playoffs last year)

18. WNBA

WNBA Member

the fate lies in when and how morey trade howard

19. jbasket

jbasket Member

Thing of beauty? The only thing that was consistent was the offense running through Dwight. Not sure what you were watching there. I don't blame him for wanting to establish the only consistent formula from last year's playoffs.

Look, y'all really need to stop focusing on Howard's post game when he was clearly injured and extrapolating that towards his whole time here. Teams were doubling Howard at the beginning of the year in the post when he was healthy. I wonder why.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Our fate is subject to the mercy of only one man ... one man only The Beard. Howard is replaceable.