1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Current Roster and Where We're Going...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tofu--, Jun 28, 2008.

1. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I know that there's threads about trades and another thread about our possible rotation for next year, but bear with me here.

This has been bothering me since last season, and the problem seems to steadily become more pronounced after I think about it.

Let's take a look at the amount of people we currently have signed and/or will likely sign:

PG: Rafer Alston, Bobby Jackson, Steve Francis, Aaron Brooks
    SG: Tracy Mcgrady, Luther Head
    SF: Shane Battier
    PF: Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Mike Harris (free agent), Chuck Hayes, Steve Novak
    C: Yao Ming, Dikembe Mutumbo, Loren Woods

We have to take into account the two draft picks that we will very likely sign (Donte Greene and Joey Dorsey) for next season, along with the possibility of picking up someone in summer camp (i.e. Gerald Green, given that many of us speculate on some sort of wink-wink deal and Morey's obvious interest in the kid).

I know that we're going to be making trades. Looking at our current roster, there's certainly a great deal of excess, particularly in the point guard and power forward positions, that needs to be cut. However, if we think about it, who do we have, really, that we would be willing to part with?

How I see it is:

Won't Be Traded:
    Yao Ming, Tracy Mcgrady, Luis Scola, Carl Landry (about to be resigned), Dikembe Mutumbo (last season)

Maybe, but somewhat unlikely:
    Shane Battier, Rafer Alston, Bobby Jackson, Steve Francis, Aaron Brooks, Steve Novak

Plausible trade fodder:
    Luther Head, Mike Harris, Chuck Hayes, Loren Woods

We can assume that Mike Harris will likely not be resigned, so that still leaves us with too many people and too few roster spaces, along with a seemingly limited number of people that could be traded.

I say that there aren't that many to be traded because I'm just trying to reason out who is dispensable to the team. Rafer Alston seems like he's here to stay, particularly after last season, while Bobby Jackson knows Adelman's system and I'm not quite sure we're dumping him ASAP (at least not until we're closer to the trade deadline). Steve Francis and Aaron Brooks didn't play much last year and Aaron Brooks for sure will be staying for longer, so I don't see any of our guards being realistically moved anytime soon.

This leads us to Shane Battier. Like many, I can see and recognize Shane Battier as the biggest trading piece we got, but to be honest, I'm one of those that really appreciate Battier's skillset and wouldn't want to see him go. I also am unsure just how much Morey wants to keep him, but given what I've heard, he wanted Shane to begin with and if that's the case I don't see Battier leaving for quite some time either.

Novak has gotten increasing minutes with Adelman and I also don't think he'll instantly be packaged away.

This leaves us with very little maneuverability in terms of roster space this summer. I don't quite know how we can just pick up free agents or make trades without giving up key pieces of our team-- so exactly who are we going to wait on and develop and who are we really going to part with, given our current roster situation and the strengths/weaknesses we need to address?

I certainly do trust Morey and our organization to do what's right. However, at the same time, I'd love to hear what other people think because I'm uncertain where we can go from here.

2. apocclass

apocclass Member

we NEED a third all-star caliber player if we actually want to contend for a title.
    i've really grown to like battier, but if we have to trade him to get a better player i'm all for it.

this team as it is right now, cannot win a title.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We have already seen Battier's limitations when it comes to trading him as part of a package to get Rush and Outlaw during this draft,both good role players one with pro and the other with college experience.Portland wanted Batum with him for Rush and Webster. Shane is a good glue guy but it should be obvious by now he can't get us that elusive 3rd all star caliber player. A guy with upside like Yi had greater trading value partly because of his marketability and youth for Richard Jefferson.

Unless someone is desperate enough to take our expiring contracts plus Shane/Luis/or Landry/and or a developing Greene/Dorsey and a future 1st round pick we won't get a star.The resulting situation will be 3 stars without much depth in a tough Western Conference provided if Yao/Tracy are able to maintain their health. There is no guarantee that we will be able to emulate the Celtics.

I don't see anyone wanting to come to the Rockets for the MLE despite our hard working squad who went on a 22 game winning streak partly because of a relatively easy schedule.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

:rolleyes:

If I hear the 'easy schedule' crap one more time [how come only 1 other team has ever done it Einstein???]

I think the 'hard working squad' who won 55 games last year might be exactly what would interest someone in coming to the Rockets for the MLE.
    Chance to play for a title and be a big part of it.

Mind you, I think we have more talent than you're suggesting - sadly it just so happens that our top scorer couldn't play in the playoffs. Hard to win a championship when you're the best defensive team, but rely on 2 people to score - and one of them isn't there...

In reply to the original post:
    I certainly don't think we need an All-Star. What we're looking for is a 6'6-6'8 2/3 who can create their own shot. Someone who could score 15-18ppg if needed.

The second need is clearly a starting quality PG. But only if it doesn't significantly weaken us in another area (get the PG and then need to find a new SF or something...)

The last need is a backup C who can do either or both of: hit the 15' jumper, score in the post.

We need to use the full MLE to fill the first need - trades are probably the only ways to work on 2 + 3.

5. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I see what your saying, it is really getting increasingly hard to get players we want because of:
    1. Our cap space is very limited as well as being very near the LT threshold
    2. We don't have a high pick to package for a player like the celtics did with allen

I reckin we are really going to test our luck and hopefully we get a bonzi situation where no one signed him so we get him for cheap

Give us some magic Mr. Morey

6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly believe that the new bigman that was just aquired via draft will be utilized much more than expected. I don't expect Mutumbo to be playing much until very much later in the season just like this previous season. If Dorsey proves to be the enforcer that I've seen in the clips... well I think we can relieve ourselves from a couple of our power forwards. I think that Dorsey has a knack at defensive help. If he has the hustle that we need then there is no reason why we can't let either Scola or Landry go. If Landry has surely improved his game this offseason by adding some outside shooting touches and gaining some bulk i can see Scola being used as trade bait in bringing us a star calliber pg or at least someone that is much more consistently better than Raefer. The offseason has just started ::shrug:: and I am sure there is going to be some interesting trades and aquisitions before november. I am sure many of you have heard morey adressing the issue of getting us scorers. I think a back up for Mcgrady/batman is on the works. I don't know how huge of a name the player will be but I guarantee this player will allow mcgrady to play some time at the three and sit on the bench for much needed rest. We do not need either him or yao logging extensive minutes until the very end of our season and playoffs where it is crucial. I see this roster changing a good deal.

7. kwng

kwng Member

Bobby Jackson is going to be traded as we got him for his expiring contract

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

don't you mean, "this team without Yao Ming in the playoffs, cannot win a title."?

9. wingz0

wingz0 Member

The only thing for sure is that one of our PFs will go.

And realistically, it has to be Chuck Hayes. 2 reasons why:

One, Scola is definitely not going. He's a helluva productive given his salary, and he can chip in with points and rebounds when needed, and actually has a little bit of a post game.

Two, Carl Landry is all probability, is not going anywhere. Many of you say Dorsey has certain similar characteristics as Landry, in that both of them are athletic finishers, but Landry has something that Dorsey doesn't: Range. In fact, he might have a more consistent jumper than Scola.

Given how much our 2 PFs were producing last year, we're almost certain to see them back again and improved this year. What I see is a rotation of Yao/Scola/Landry/Dorsey at the frontline, with Yao taking most of hte minutes at C and Dorsey filling in, along with whatever minutes leftover from Scola/Landry at the PF spot. That gives us a very solid rotation.

Somehow, I think Francis might go too. He's a 2 million expiring, and packaged with Bjax, could look attractive for teams wanting to shed payroll down the road. Don't be surprised if Brooks is included as well, to get a stud PG who'll push Rafer to the bench.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Oh please may it be so! However, despite the fact that I think Rafer would be an ideal bench player, I don't think he would accept that role.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I think we're slowly phasing out the JVG guys like Rafer, Battier, Head, Hayes and Deke and slowly trying to incorporate more dynamic talent as opposed to these one dimensional players we're used to seeing.

If you look at Morey's moves since taking over: Scola, Landry, Brooks, Francis, Mike James, Gerald Green, allowing Bonzi to come back

This draft: Green, Dorsey

It's obvious he's trying to infuse dynamic talent into this group. Whether some of those moves did/will pay off is a different discussion. The point is those guys are all great athletes and the majority of them are good offensive players.

I think this is a noticeable trend and the direction this team will continue to follow.

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

To me, it just feels like the big trade deadline move will be for Vince Carter. I'm not sure I like it...that's just what it feels like.

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I cant see SF3 being traded, its like deke, where the sentimental value is more than the actual value of the player.

Head could actually net something, he have a low contract, a good 3p shooter and it expires next season.

With the addition of the two rookies, it could be the end for hayes and novak, as dorsey and greene plays the same way, and have way higher athleticism.

Along with harris and woods who should not get their contract renew, and Bjax as well.

That is 6 spots in roster that needs to be fill.

Diop who is looking good, will not fit financially as the Mavs is rumoured to offer him the full MLE.
    Pietrus is attracting a couple of offers, and i'm sure euro teams are knocking on his door.
    Barnes have suffer a dipped last season, and cover at the 3 spot is not really the pressing need.

FA is not looking at all interesting, as rox cant fit in the first tier player financially, and the better 2nd tier players does not really fits the rox.

Looks like the only way rox can get better is via trade, and that is up the magic of morey.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

some of us might value battier A LOT, but i rarely hear any team wanting to try to get him. does anyone know his value?

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

We all tend to overvalue our players, but Battier can only get us Martell Webster. He was worth less than Travis Outlaw, thursday night.

On the other hand, some crazy trades have shown you can get alot more for expiring contracts(Kwame for Gasol) or players leaving the league(V-span for Scola). The more expiring contracts in the deal, the better for some teams.

16. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Business is business. The only reason that Deke is still heavily favoured on our team is because at his age, his production is still amazing. Heck, his production is amazing for a back-up center PERIOD.

If Francis stinks it up again, he's gone. I see no love lost there.

Novak will stick around for 1 more year at least, that's what Morey himself said.

You're right though, in the sense that this year's FA crop is looking troublesome for us, mainly because we don't have much to play with. So I really expect any significant moves for us to come from S&T deals rather than straight up signings.

Pietrus looks good on paper. He's not consistent, but he has shown sustained flashes of good, heady play. Full MLE for him is a little risky though, plus we'd probably need to dip into the MLE to re-sign Landry.

One player that I'd really really love management to get, and I've been preaching it for the past couple of seasons, is Corey Maggette. He has his share of injury problems, but as a dependable 20-a-game scorer, he's overlooked way too often given his up-and-down relationship with Dunleavy on the Clips. It's a long shot to get him, and most likely would involve Shane going over.

A slightly more realistic shot, though, might be Gerald Wallace, given the recent rumours. He's someone I'd be willing to part with Shane Battier for, though I still have doubts about his inability to spread the floor the way Shane does.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ies/MYSA062808.4D.BKNspurs.horry.3feaa55.html

Full MLE on Michael Finley. His the model 2/3 that i would really like in a rox jersey, ability to put the ball at the floor, shoot the 3 and play good d. He may be old, but still plays in all 82 games last season at 27 minutes.

He will be able to get a chunk of minutes off tmac, without hurting the team too much, and that alone is worth more than the MLE.

18. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Pass on Finley.

He's done. Showed as much in the playoffs. No legs left, has a decent jumper, but really, not much at this point.

We need productive veterans, not over-the-hill has-beens. And for full MLE? Definitely not.

19. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Just to add, I'd probably look at him for the LLE, but even then, only for spelling Tmac for 5 min stretches max. I don't think Finley can create for himself anymore at this point.

20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I would cream my pants if we could get Carter.