1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Barkley, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Barkley

Barkley Member

I really think our bench is one of the main changes that we made this offseason.

We all know no bench hurted us a lot, especially against Utah in the playoffs. When Yao and Tracy played we did ok, but the problems started when they went to the bench. Luther, Juwan couldn't do anythin' against Gireck's shootin, Millsap's dunks, and Harpring's plays. I think that is what really hurted us last playoffs, but that's not the key.

This year we signed Mike James, Steve Francis, Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks. We also resigned Mutombo and Wells. And I really think it's important.

Now Mike James, Bonzi Wells can easily carry the team when our superstars are on the bench, and it takes the pressure off Yao and McGrady a little bit. Now we have a good bench, especially with Bonzi, who's now healthly and happy. Mike James is also good. I know he first thinks about shoot, than about the pass and that's why he shouldn't play in the startin' five. We need his scorin' mentality off the bench more, cause he can create shoots for himself.

Scola's gonna be really good. We know he can, cause he used to do it. It was just his first game in the NBA with Lakers so I give him a credit. Wait and you'll see he'll be a great player. He can score points, he can rebound but he is also a great passer.

I think our bench has improved a lot. I think we can now match up against teams like Utah, Mavs, Suns, Spurs (Teams which have a really good bench).

So what do you guys think about our bench? I know it's only the first season game behind us. But what do you think? Good, bad? Why?

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

our team is the same as last year, but with James, Wells and Scola coming off the bench we will be a force...

3. dragonz

dragonz Member

seriously, the first quarter in lakers game was lame, until scola and james came in changed tempo, I hate the way our starters played in the opening mins, they just looked like lost. reminds me alot about last year.

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

It was only first game, you know, everythin' is new so that's not a big deal to have a slow start like we did in the 1st quater.

But the good think is that bench carried us

5. davidghall

davidghall Member

I LOVE the bench. Last year, Luther Head was our 6th man. This year he is our 9th man. So when you add Scola, Wells, and James to one of the best starting fives in the league, along with one of the best coaches in the league, you're going to have a good team.

I just wanna see everyone playing to their strengths. I don't want to see Yao dribble...EVER. I don't want Hayes shooting anything other than dunks and layups. I've got no problem with what Battier does, just shoot that open three. McGrady needs to drive to the hole more. I honestly have no problem with Rafer shooting threes. 36% isn't great, but good enough. Just NO MORE TEAR DROPS. Don't know enough about Scola yet. No problem with what Bonzi is doing. I love James, and if he is dribbling to set up the offense, I have no problem, but if he is dribbling to get his own shot too much, it could hurt the team. I don't like Luther putting the ball on the floor either, too many turnovers. Just make those hard cuts, and hit the open threes.

6. mag

mag Contributing Member

Tonight is a real good test and we will see what we can do against some of the elite teams.

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

My question is: how much can we rely on Scola for. I figured he would implement a powerful mid range shooting touch that everyone raves about, which should really help spread defenses on Yao. I understand the lights are brighter in LA, and that he may need some time to become comfortable, but he is supposed to be the nba-ready four that we need. Am I naive for expecting 15 points on a non career night??

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Our bench is awesome. We have James and Bonzi Wells, two hell of a scoring options. They'd be starting for 20 other nba teams. Scola didn't play well vs the Lakers. He had some silly turnovers, but that's expected since he's making the biggest adjustment.

Having a good bench is so crucial. Dallas moved Devin Harris to the starting spot so now Jason Terry (rockets killer) and Jerry Stackhouse come off the bench.

We're kind of like Dallas now.

Mike James = Terry
    Bonzi = Stackhouse

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Scola didnt even attempt a shot, which can be considered a good thing in a way. Instead of coming in chucking and firing away upsetting the flow, come up in the system gradually and the shots will come.

Its weird how Bonzi feels like a new addition to the team, like he came in after we got Francis or something. Even stranger seeing him blend in so good cuz this is the same guy that GAVE UP on the team last year, and there doesnt seem to be an issue with him there now.

10. Barkley

Barkley Member

I evem think Bonzi can be better. Of course Stackhouse is more a shooter but Bonzi can score the ball in a lot of different ways.

He's really strong, he can post up, back down his defenser. He's quicker now so he can go to the basket and he can shoot it from the outside.

Bonzi is really good. Forget about last season. It was about injuries but I think a big part of it was JVG also. Now it's Adelman and his health. He's gonna help us a lot this year.

11. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Dallas has the size over the rockets. In a seven game series I don't think the rockets can beat them. Luther head would get torched against Dallas. This is the one team that I think Wells will have trouble against.

12. Barkley

Barkley Member

I'm sure Luther will have trouble. He even had it last season.

13. dragonz

dragonz Member

I do not blame on slow start, but wut i see is player's unwillingness to run cuts, it was not "kings" offense, it was still the way we played last year
    Tmac was the one penetrating, with other players standing around. I want see more cuts and and more running games, but our starts was just simply lame on those.
    hopefully, it will getting better

14. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

The Rockets need more size. I would trade head & snyder for more size.

15. FFz

FFz Member

i still don't see how mutombo is going to play backup center in this system. He wasn't effective last game and that forced heavy minutes on yao.

16. Barkley

Barkley Member

Agree. I also think we need more size, especially at PF spot.

Well I think Adelman wants Deke only to rebound and sometimes block the shoot. He even ain't a part of the new system I think.

17. FFz

FFz Member

i still don't see how mutombo is going to play backup center in this system. He wasn't effective last game and that forced heavy minutes on yao. It'll be interesting to see how minutes are going to be considering Utah doesn't have a real backup center to match up against Mutombo.

18. FFz

FFz Member

oops double post... teaches me to read bbs at work :p

Deke was kind of weak against bynum last game and he didn't really block as much. maybe hes still out of shape and not in good condition.

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Bonzi Wells has a size advantage over every 2 guard in the league. Dallas had no answer for James two years ago, and they dont have an answer now. I think James and Bonz will CARRY...CARRY this team to a lot of its wins.

20. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

exactly...

james, wells, and scola will mean a lot to this team. those are very good pieces if you ask me.

luther can shoot and he seems to be getting better at passing mostly and some handling skills.

deke does his job. i'm proud of the old fella. he provides what we need i think.

it sure is exciting.