1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our 2019 FA

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Which Astros FAs would you re-sign?

1. Dallas Keuchel

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Charlie Morton

91 vote(s)
    83.5%
  3. Brian McCann

7 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. Martin Maldonado

66 vote(s)
    60.6%
  5. Marwin Gonzalez

73 vote(s)
    67.0%
  6. Evan Gattis

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Buck Turgidson

Haven't thought about it much recently, but I see no reason why they wouldn't.

We don't have any knowledge of their future payroll plans, so who knows what's up Luhnow's sleeve.

2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

With Valdez and James lying in wait I’d be surprised if we offered Dallas. No need really.

I’d like to see Morton and Marwin stay but both are going to command a lot. I’d like to see Maldonado stay if at all possible

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

neither of those guys have proven anything to warrant being a DK replacement

4. Buck Turgidson

Let's slow down just a bit. Neither of those guys are anything more than bullpen arms right now. Valdez cannot throw enough strikes to even do that, and James just had his breakout year and has never thrown more than 115 innings. Will Whitley be ready next year? Who the hell knows?

I give Keuchel a QO and see if he bites. Win-win.

No Worries and Marteen like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

It is only a matter of time until the James’ and Whitley’s of the system are given a chance in the rotation. Long term the Astros can not afford to keep their staff in tact and it would be better to find out if we can fill some holes internally rather than a year or two down the line filling 3 holes in the rotation at once.

Having said that, I would be shocked if the Astros don’t make the QO to Dallas. At worst he comes back another year as a #3-4 starter. The reality is that Dallas wants a long term deal and will likely get it this off season from someone other than the Astros and we can certainly use the high draft pick.

I agree with you that it is a win-win scenario.

Also keep in mind that there is no bigger fan of Francis Martes than Oz Ocampo.... except Mike Elias. So I wouldn’t count Martes out either. Those are two huge fans in his corner.

Rock Block likes this.
  6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Frankie Tuesday...this year basically evaporated for him, but that dude has some nasty stuff. If even two out of him, James, Valdez, and Whitley emerge as rotation anchors, that would go a long way for this team.

I would love to find a way to extend Cole - I think he’s cut from the Verlander cloth of horse that can maintain his stuff through his early 30s.

Nook likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Oh no doubt, it's just myopic to me to expect rookies to fill 3 spots in the 6-man rotation next year.

I have no faith in LMJ as a long-term starter.

Martes is found money, if he can ever figure out his delivery, great.

8. Milos

Milos Member

DK
    Goner 100%
    Cole was preemptive replacement
    Make QO to get comp pick in return
    Let somebody else (Yanks) overpay him in his 30s

Charlie
    Back here 60%
    2yrs @ $30m w 2020 PO
    Retires 30%
    Anywhere else 10%

If somehow both of above leave, I could see Gio Gonzalez as a sleeper FA Target to replace innings
    Maybe 3yrs @ $54M

Gattis
    Gone 100%
    Finally the 1-tool wonder moves on
    White already took his job
    Good riddance to 1 of Luhnow's rare mistakes

Marwin
    Hate to say it, but a reup doesn't make much sense for either side
    50/50 for return at best
    Marwin's clutch versatility will earn him a solid offer & everyday job from someone
    Something like CHIC gave Zobrist
    3yrs @ $36M min
    Does it make sense for HOU to invest that much in an IF who doesn't even have a spot to play?
    With so many other core pieces still to lock up?
    Why would Marwin pass up $ to stay without a guaranteed everyday job?
    Sad to see him go
    Best of luck

9. Milos

Milos Member

I see DK's FA going exactly like his fellow fading 2015 CY winner Arrieta's last year

Boras came out early talking about $150M
    And so he waited ... and waited ...

In the end, he took about half that right before Spring once all other options dried up

Yanks make most sense
    CC, Happ, Lynn & Gray all could be gone
    They could be desperate for innings behind Severino & Tanaka

Brewers also could be in play as another contender with a terrible rotation
    Especially if they don't keep Gio
    Could see HOU targeting Gio as DK replacement if Morton also leaves

10. Progs

Progs Member

I think Cole can get even better once he becomes more of a pitcher. He's made strides this year but some of his pitches touch too much of the plate on several occasions. His stuff is so good he rarely gets punish for it. Can become Verlander 2.0 a guy who can become the total package as a pitcher.

11. Progs

Progs Member

Btw, I see Astros repeating. Team has no glaring weakness. They're a beast!

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Peacock is still on the team.

I think most people are in agreement that bringing Morton back is the most likely, and best scenario for the team. If we do bring him back we have Verlander and Cole, who are horses, with LMJ, Morton, Peacock and McHugh. That's 6 quality MLB starters, even without DK. If we are unable to bring Morton back for whatever reason, it does get a little more tenuous, but we would still have 5 MLB starters.

The pitching situation after next season is very scary looking as of right now. We need to develop somebody in house. My ideal rotation starting next season has Josh James in it, and Forrest Whitley hopefully forcing his way into innings. With Peacock waiting in the wings as a safety net. If we enter 2020 without James or Whitley having established themselves, the rotation is suddenly ugly. At which point we may have to push all our chips in to get proven starters, and prepare for another rebuild.

If you bring DK back you are obligated to give him starts unless he is absolute trash. This isn't really an indictment on Keuchel as much as it's a long term issue for the franchise.

#32 sealclubber1016, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Are you guys aware that, like, the playoffs are going on, and all?.......

King1 likes this.
  14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

If Dallas Keuchel goes to the Yankees, the Yankees are going to make him Shave his beard.
    Dallas has no Loyalty to Bret Strom or the Astros, who made his career. Dallas is really a Mike Hampton all over again. The Rockies ruined Mike Hampton at Coors Field, but Pitched dominant at Citi Field with the Mets.
    His Girlfriend is from New York, if he is still with her, I'm not sure, she works in Memorabilia.

#34 rockets1995, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  15. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Yea you could be right but Strom has done wonders. Look, I'm just considering DK gone. They may offer but it wont be enough and if it is enough I would be shocked. If nothing else they can go out on the market.....I just don't see how he stays and you still lock up any of the others. I could be wrong but I just don't see Crane doing that