1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our #2 draft pick "Jalen Green" seems to have a ceiling of . . .Gerald Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 2, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

Lol, right back at you. Who cares what you think…

I thought this was a discussion board?

And what’s the point of NCAA in the context of basketball?

Don’t have to join the NCAA either, it’s just the system that was built up.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only to the one point that is about what you think about Green, saying something has small sample size still does not make him Kobe or Jordan.

It is a popular cop out, normally it works but if you have a potential star, people are going to dissect his game and be extra harsh on him, he either sinks or floats.

As I said, the NCAA March Madness is still one of the best competitions out there, people enjoy it.

There is purpose to the NCAA.

D-rock, DaDakota and verysimplejason like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Raw talent like Green may take years to mature. What he looks like this year doesn't matter.

4. verysimplejason

NCAA makes a player more mature in terms of court awareness and team play. Short tournaments like the G-league won't suffice. Most of the time, it's not the talent but how wise the players play. The "rawness" is most of the time what we see from young players. It's like what separates the local militia to soldiers or a pressure cookered meat from a slow-boiled meat. ;)

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very good, but I wasn't actually against any competition, it was pretty clear that the poster above was against College ball for some reason.

I can imagine college coaches caring more about players' personality and well being.

Send more players overseas to learn Euro ball.

I think folks will learn to appreciate every one of them and also focus more on later picks.

Kobe, Kawhi, Giannis were all either late lottery or non lottery picks.

I would still lose this season and trying to win next season.

#265 daywalker02, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    verysimplejason likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Okay? Back to that old trope? I guess if that’s the best you can do.

The first 17 games isn’t a small sample?

Well sure, just seems there’s a bit of extra saltiness because someone’s guy didn’t get drafted and is doing very well or they want to downplay the G League.

March Madness is very entertaining, I agree.

7. i3artow i3aller

Scoot Henderson currently plays for the G-League. I believe one would be hard pressed to find many if any current NCAA players that are somehow more mature than him in terms of court awareness or team play.

8. dmoneybangbang

Ah yes…. The vaunted one and done system…. Teaching life skills and how you play the right way.

I think the NCAA is just an institution and often gets romanticized.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The G league is a joke......it does not prepare kids for the NBA at all.

When players like Hartenstink can average 20-10 in the G-league and can't sniff a rotation in the NBA - it is not competitve.

Better to go to a big D1 school with a quality coach that will DEMAND more than those in the Gleague giving those kids a reach around trying to hang onto days they were connected to the NBA.

If Van Gundy was there coaching it would be different, but he isn't and the program is a joke.

DD

verysimplejason likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Because the one and done programs do….?

Calling it a joke is a joke.

Hartenstein is averaging 15MPg for the Clippers….He’s a bench player for a playoff team.

What about Timme in Gonzaga? What’s his NBA future since he’s been killing it in the NCAA?

Frank Kaminksy going to go another contract after this season after his NCAA production?

I think you romanticize NCAA basketball a bit.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He had 16 games with Ignite and 17 games with the Rockets, in neither of which he really shot lights out other than the LA game n Celtics game.

Had ugly mechanics as a shooter.

You could drain the salt from the ocean by enjoying the NBA game.

You could be an Only Rocket but still enjoy watching players on other teams. (A lever to be flipped)

#271 daywalker02, Dec 8, 2021
  12. verysimplejason

Well, there are other ways to do it. It's not only NCAA. But, G-league tournament isn't enough. I'm sorry but that "romanticism" you're saying is what makes everything better. When there's more pressure to win, I'm sure you will learn more and strive more. Euro ball for me, in my opinion, is much better than your G-league.

D-rock and noppeper like this.
  13. verysimplejason

There are always exceptions but you can see how raw the defense and offense in the G-league. I have watched a lot of G-league games and I must admit, I like to watch NCAA more. I can't feel the prestige in winning G-league games. I think that's why players treat it mostly like a platform to showboat their individual skills. This is just my honest opinion. It's comparable for me to an all-star game minus the stars.

D-rock, clutchdabear and noppeper like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

His ability to score at all 3 levels is why he has consistently been a top 3 prospect. Scouts were impressed by how he handled going straight from high school to a pro level system with NBA rules.

He has disappointed, but so have the entire rockets during the 17 game stretch with poor spacing and a tough schedule. It’s a shame he got injured as the spacing improved (looked good in the very small sample size) and the schedule became on of the easiest.

xaos likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Well sure. I’m just arguing that the G League isn’t a joke and isn’t worthless as some are arguing. If anything I am arguing the G League is rising and becoming more of a NBA minor league.

The Euroleague is overall better than both the NCAA and G League but it doesn’t necessarily tailor to American youth.

16. xaos

xaos Member

Scoot will basically be the player that everyone uses as THE example of why G League works

Which, I am not saying one bit it does or doesn't. I just know how people shape their arguments. Because player x did this then it works!

Either way. Scoot seems like one of the best prospects in the last few years.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The problem with the Rockets always has been their streakiness.

That has never changed from the Stevie Cat, Yao Mac Artest, KevMart and Lowry, Harden era to now.

It is just more extreme now than ever. Win sum, lose sum.

Doubt it changes with Green and KPJ.

The league will adjust. At least Garrison Mathews will be lotsa fun.

*If you cannot create your own efficient shot but must rely on the system to create an efficient for you.
    - Definition of a role player than a star

#277 daywalker02, Dec 8, 2021
  18. i3artow i3aller

For sure. I guess for me an individual player's innate talent and drive far exceeds that of whatever coaching they'd be getting in their lone year of college ball, G-League or otherwise. Pops an all time coach, but it's not as if he's won anything since Duncan left. “The most concise way to put it is: no Duncan, no championships,” Popovich said. Great players have always ruled this league. I don't particularly care which "development" path they take.

D-rock, Xerobull and xaos like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think 18 and 19 year olds are still kids, and need a structured system where they can focus on their craft and work for a demanding coach - that will help them get an understanding of the game overall.

AAU is not it....ridiculous - college coaches have a TON more control than Gleague coaches do....

There is no romance to going to a tough coach who will TEACH the game of basketball and make kids better.

The G-league is not that, IMHO.

As Jalen was one of the first to go this route, what actually did he get better at doing? I mean Sengun played professionally in Turkey and he is way better at understanding the game. Lemelo played professionally in Australia and he is WAY better at understanding the game - so, if you don't go to the NCAA - go overseas.....learn the craft......

DD

fattz, clutchdabear, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

I guess I find that an odd argument since the G League is pro while NCAA is college. You literally have a pro style conditioning and weight program. You have an apartment and have to do grown up things instead of going to class and going to the meal hall.

What exactly are the best programs instilling when their best players are one and done?

Tough coaches? Bobby Knight era is long gone.

The G League is where future NBA coaches (head and assistant) are cutting their teeth.

Are you arguing that Jalen isn’t better than he was in high school and has gained little or nothing from the the G League.

I think elite players like Lamelo and Mobley are exceptions and just excel where ever.