1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our #2 draft pick "Jalen Green" seems to have a ceiling of . . .Gerald Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 2, 2021.

1. jogo

jogo Member

I'm realistic about Green. He doesn't look like a bust but I also don't think the idea that he will definitely be a star is true. Just because he's 19 does not mean he will automatically improve to superstar or allstar status. He's been lauded as a hard worker but as others have said he lacks in many areas of skill development. What has he been working on so diligently if he lacks skills we'd all like to see in a #2 pick. Jalen has likely gotten by on athleticism against lesser players. That won't work in the NBA.

The National Basketball Glorified League has shown that it probably doesn't prep players to be better than a year in college. That might not be true as the sample size is small. Still, the myth that Green was more NBA ready due to the gleague has been debunked.

He probably makes it to be a positive NBA starter down the line. To me it's a stretch right now to say that one knows he'll be much better or much worse than that. But I'm also a Rockets fan and it's possible I'm being too optimistic here. Without defense he will never be a superstar and probably not an allstar. Is that something he can fix? We'll see.

2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not following what you're trying to say. You keep saying "he would" or "he should" like we have to speculate about what Jalen looks like in the g league. We do not have to speculate, he played a full season in the g league as a starter. I'm not guessing what his stats would be, those are his actual stats, from when he played there.

D-rock likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You do not get it because the focal point is that the G League is crap. Everyone knows it.

You said you felt tricked, that is because it is a phony league with great potential for sponsors.

However it is useful for kids to get their feet wet, nothing more.

His goal is not to make it in the G League which he eventually would with mediocre efficiency.

I still feel the urge to say nice things about him because he is still a Rocket.

Squirtle likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

The G League isn’t phony or crap just because Jalen Green didn’t immediately translate over.

Is the NCAA crap because Suggs has similarly struggled? Is the NCAA the best league outside of the NBA because Mobley translated?

The G League has more top tier prospects this year than last.

Squirtle and xaos like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The concept is not but level of competition clearly is pretty rubbish.

I am not going to fight you over it, you can think what you want.

The NCAA thing is a combined academics and sports package, it is vital for maturity and mental development.

To add to it, I said Jordan because he has Jordanesque leaping abilities and good enough body control, not that he has the scoring or defending ability of Jordan.

6. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

G-League games can be pretty indicative of NBA talent imo. I went to a Houston vs Lakers G-League game in 2018-2019. You could tell the top few players had NBA potential and were clear cut better than everyone else (they had a mix of both athleticism and fundamentals). Hartenstein can ball and just needs the right system. It would help him tremendously if he learned to shoot the 3 ball. I also saw Danuel House and you could tell he had NBA potential but the best player I saw on the court would become the world champion Alex Caruso.

NewAge likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

The G League would beat the NCAA, it’s not even a question. You can think what you want about the level of competition between young amateurs verses pros.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are not amateurs though, they are athletes who go to a higher form of school and do get tutelage from professional personnel.

They just are not paid at all or just get scholarships.

9. dmoneybangbang

That’s some goal post moving…. G league isn’t an automatic NBA career. G League is a minor league with NBA rules , like the MLB. Plenty of MLB minor league players never take the leap.

Most of the players of the NCAA will never be pro anywhere.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

good post.
    However, one point that is lost here is this: while it is true that quite a few superstars did not look like it in their first 20 games, it is also true that many high pick busts did not look like busts until later on. Fultz, Kwame Brown, Shawn Bradley, they all lingered for awhile getting second and third chances. Morey traded for Hasheem, remember the excitement here? I personally up until late last year thought that Marvin Bagley has too much talent and will turn it around...

So I am not actually sure J.Green will not be a bust, we can't yet say that.
    Maybe after the 30pt game I thought the floor got raised, scoring 30 pts in an NBA game is a feat... But still, the bust probability is non-zero.

D-rock likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Had a format problem, my post is above. They are not real amateurs.

I do agree that the G League can produce more role players but still it is not the perfect breeding ground for star players.

We do not want more role players, there is enough of those around.

Where did I say College is better than GLeague, it is a valid option for kids to still go to school.

The better alternative is going to Europe for more than 1 year.

#251 daywalker02, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not what I'm confused about. My confusion is that you continue to speak as though you're unaware Jalen Green played in the g league. Are you aware that he played a season in the g league? If you know that he already played a full season there then there's no need for speculation.

13. dmoneybangbang

NCAA is this weird quasi amateur “league”. The G League is only attracting more high school prospects who want to go pro immediately and play under NBA rules.

fattz likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Neither the Gleague nor College is going to fundamentally change a player in the way that he sucks while he was good before.

In Green's case, he was overrated, that simple, maybe he can still become an Allstar and that can be saved.

15. dmoneybangbang

Thats just playing the results so far, but more high school prospects committed to the G League 2021 than 2020.

Clearly if more of the best high school prospects commit to the G League then the G League will produce more top players. Scoot Henderson, a top high school prospect who graduated in his junior year, signed a 2 year contract with the Ignite.

16. dmoneybangbang

Huh?

I think there is more benefit to playing pro style rules and essentially learning to live as a pro than not. But that’s not to say that’s for every case but in general.

I don’t agree with that based off the small results so far.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That remains to be seen, but I still do think Europe will net better results.

FWIW I think they are quarter professionals or a tad below half professionals in College.

18. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

The Brandon Jennings route, I wonder why it didn't grow more popular.

fattz and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who cares if you agree though, but okay, point taken.

Yeah, the rules are a good point.

Thing is you can always join the GLeague, after being drafted or being undrafted, you could get sent down
    there.

There is no such thing that you have to join the GLeague before the NBA.

Nowadays yes, I admit because they get so much coverage, you can easily join the NBA but it is still very dangerous because of the subpar level of competition.

Maybe if they only play GLeague Playoffs against the better teams, this will get solved.

20. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Best not to engage daywalker, they are an odd character on this board.