1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OU/TX game...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This game was over before it began it seems like. I cannot believe the pounding TX is taking. Oh well....at least TX fans got to do some more partying somewhere other than sixth street [​IMG].

Current Score: 63-14

Quentin Griffin has...what....six touchdowns.....a record not to be broken any time soon.

Surf

------------------

2. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Me being a UT student, today was not one of my better days [​IMG] I haven't seen Texas play that poorly in quite awhile, although the Sooners played exceptional football and deserve a lot of credit.

Looks like the Longhorns can pretty much kiss their national championship aspirations goodbye.

------------------

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

Being an OU fan since practically birth... I have no remorse for you pathetic excuse for a football team... your season was over when you lost to stanford... Bow to the greatness of the Sooners...... The 2000 National Champs

--Rocketman

------------------

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sure. Until you lose next week at K-State. With all the top 10 teams losing, our season was NOT over with the loss at Stanford. And it still isn't now, as I still believe we'll be in the Big 12 title game in Kansas City. To do that, we'd have to win out (not too difficult with our schedule) and have Oklahoma lose twice. (they play BOTH Nebraska and K-State) Not all that difficult. Texas just point blank was not ready to play today. Add to that their problem over the years of defending these teams with "wide open" type offenses (remember UCLA Route 66), and that our offensive coordinator Greg Davis sucks- don't get your hopes up too much. OU isn't as great as they looked. I dream of Davis being gone someday soon. The play calling today was downright pathetic. We have a better QB than OU, a better RB, and better receivers. So why did we get our butts kicked? The system. Running up the middle on a strong defensive front and throwing short little 5 yard passes does not get it done. A system like Oklahoma's where you spread the field with your wideouts and throw down the field continually is what I dream of UT getting. We'd be close to unstoppable if we called those types of plays. Texas is showing perhaps the greatest misuse of talent that I have ever seen. We need to alter the system to fit the skills of our players, and so far Greg Davis has not shown me the ability to do that. I know it's early on, but it's gone on for 5 games now. If things don't turn around in a hurry, I want him gone.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com
    http://www.noarena.net

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If Davis isn't fired, then Mack Brown needs to take his recruiting championships elsewhere cause the Horns don't need his BS.

I am beginning to believe that Mack Brown is just hype. He excels in Feb but his teams choke during the season. He has never won the big game. His teams always finish second to the conference elite (Florida St., Nebraska, Kansas St.) The loss to OU was pretty tough to swallow cause the final score was 63-14. He can't coach worth ****. The team was unprepared for Stanford and OU. He won't make a decision at QB. Forget Kansas City, we will be lucky to be playing in the Holiday Bowl. CU will not be easy. Neither will be the Aggy's.

Furthermore this guy has no conference championships. Thanks for letting me vent. I can't wait till the Mizzou game. The boobirds will be out in full effect at DKR. I can't wait till we chant "Mack Sucks" from the student section. Mark it down Oct 21 if Texas loses to CU.

------------------

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Mack has defintely been awful in the "big games" and the team consistently under-performs given the talent there (same as with Mackovich). Because he has brought in some very good recuits, I might give him another year or two, but my patience is thin. After this year we need a new offensive coordinator and special team coach, without a doubt. If that doesn't nip the lack of consistency and uninspired play next year, its bye-bye Mack and hopefull hello Frank Beamer, Snyder (the KSU one, is it "Bruce"?) or maybe Terry Bowden.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I have no remorse for your pathetic excuse for a state.

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

ut's season is in no way over, UT kicks ass. like cat said, we just have to win our games which arent too hard, but sooners are playing kansas and nebraska

9. Desert Scar

UT's season IS over in my book. 9-2 or whatever (best they could do), with one complete obliteration and one completely effortless game, is a poor achievement relative to the talent on that team and considering we had one of the best possible schedules to help a national championship run. Fred Akers was canned because he didn't win a national championship. It's like ever since Fred Akers left we are happy just beating the Aggies or going to (even if we lose) a major bowl. Given the University's resources, stature, and football history, there is no reason we don't stay near the top 5 every year in football (competitive with FSU, FU, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee--who only very rarely are not top 10 teams) with a championship at least every 10-15 years or so. Mack better turn it around next year and at least stay in the championship picture through late November.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited October 09, 2000).]

10. The Cat

Mack Brown said at the beginning of the year that while this year's team will be very good, next year's team will be great. I wish some of you would have patience and listen to this. We finally are getting the talent. But we have so much youth and inexperience at so many positions that it won't happen immediately. We also have a poor offensive coordinator. We have many guys at key positions who aren't experienced in big time football games. Next year, after we have a year of experience under our belt with this team and hopefully an improved offensive coordinator, then I think you can judge Mack and our team. But not now. Despite our schedule, it was not too realistic to expect this team, as inexperienced as it is, to be a national title team this season. Our season is not over, and if we finish out 9-2 it'll be a success in my eyes. Hopefully by then we'll have grown enough to be national title contenders for the next couple of years at least.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited October 09, 2000).]

11. Smokey

I didn't think there was anything worse than a loss. I don't want to sound like I am blaming the players. They went out there and played their hardest. It hurt them that they were unprepared and uncoached. We have all the resources needed in the making of national champion. I don't buy Mack's youth spin at all. Talent kicks youth's ass unless you are unprepared by your million dollar coach.

OU is where we were last year. KSU will blow OU off the field, but there is a chance that the Sooners will beat Nebraska at home. No one gave us a chance at home vs. Nebraska, and we beat them. Forget it. I don't think we will be playing in KC. Only way I see it is if the Aggies knock off the Sooners in College Station and we beat the Aggies in Austin. Don't expect much from Nebraska. They have looked weak in many of their games.

------------------

12. Desert Scar

True Smokey,

FSU and Florida lose a bunch of would be maturing and peaking players every year (thus have to go with youth), yet rarely miss a beat. You take talent with good coaching, you can still be awefully tough despite youthful mistakes associated with working in new players.

I am OK with losing close games to outstanding teams, that is acceptable. The NC State game (what like 3 blocked punts??), the Stanford game (a team who has lost to San Jose State 3 strait times, we also allowed another blocked punt), this OK game (not because we lost, but how we lost), last years Aggie game (they only won because they played 3 times as hard as we did), those are "unacceptable" games.

I believe until the LSU game last week Florida hadn't lost to a team out of the top 25 in like 70 games. I'll bet over the last 10 years FSU has ended in the top 5 every year but maybe once or twice, Nebraska maybe 2 or 3 times. Our benchmarks for success should thus be clear.

I'll say again, if Mack doesn't have the team at least in the running for a championship going into the Big 12 finale next year, I think we have had enough. Too many loses to teams with far inferior talent, too much inconsistency in all phases of the game, too many flat efforts, too many slow starts, not enough killer instict, not enough intimidation, and too much offensive predictability (ever notice how many times our opponents' linebackers know our plays better than we do??) without a consistent verticle mid range passing game that our players would seem to be able to excell in (Danny Werful did not have a cannon of an arm).

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited October 09, 2000).]

13. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

Rocketman95:
    I think someone is a little bitter about that embarrassing loss?
    To go back to your premise, who said i'm from Oklahoma? I just like Oklahoma Football...... I'm actually a Texan so please.... don't label me an Okie, I don't like it here at all..... I bleed Texan but I have OU allegiance due to my family's association with the university and being raised in Oklahoma.

--Rocketman

------------------

14. mduke

mduke Member

Yep.:rolleyes: :p

I just had to bring this back up as we're getting closer to October 12th....;)

#14 mduke, Sep 15, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2002
  15. The Cat

Yeah, there's a lot of relevance between the game in 2000 with Josh Heupel, Roy Williams, Torrance Marshall, Major Applewhite, and others compared to the game today. :rolleyes:

Also, if you're going to quote me for missing that prediction for OU, you should also quote me for the times I predicted that OU team to beat Nebraska and FSU... I was one of the only people on this BBS to do so, as I recall.

16. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Nebraska? Is that kicked by Joe-Pa's team Nebraska?

17. Smokey

Stop pulling up old threads :mad: