1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Othella's Value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Feb 25, 2000.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

From the Vancouver Province:

A report on ESPN said the Grizzlies were involved in a three-way deal that would have sent Grizzlies forward Othella Harrington to the Clippers, who in turn would have sent forward Maurice Taylor to the Knicks, with New York forward John Wallace coming to Vancouver.

ESPN said the deal fell apart when David Falk, the powerful agent who has Harrington and Taylor among his clients, rejected the Knick's offer for an extension for Taylor

Vancouver was going to deal Harrington for John Wallace? You've got to be kidding! I guess Othella's remarks about Vancouver will get him out of there after all.

It also looks like Faulk and Taylor are serious about trying to get the maximum allowable deal for Taylor. Good luck!

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

How does Taylor expect to be in control of his situation this summer?

He is a very soft rebounder, wants lots of cash and has his heart set on playing for a contender. Contenders want/need Power Forwards that play both ends of the court. The NY deal might have been the best he is going to get.

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited February 25, 2000).]

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I missed it. What did Othella say about Vancouver exactly?

------------------
    "Society always honors its live conformists and its dead non-conformistis."

4. Houston Rocks

Houston Rocks Member

Many times, and to the public, Othello has said that he does not like the city of Vancouver because it rains too much and for other reasons ( it's not USA )

5. aelliott

Fron the Vancouver Sun:

"Taylor was so upset that the deal fell through that he initially refused to get off the team bus when the Clippers arrived at the Target Center in Minneapolis for their game against the Timberwolves."

That's hillarious! It would have been great if they had left him sitting on the bus by himself.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

John Wallace is pretty damn good for a player who never gets any court action. He's been lost in New York's crowded front court for years and when he was in Toronto he took advantage of his opportunities, but got few. I'd take him on the Rockets in a heartbeat. He's a true scorer, who doesn't pass much, but he's a great post up player. You saw Coleman the other night. I think he's a slightly smaller version of Derrick. He's fun to watch.

Other trades that never went down

LJ-Howard http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/wizards/daily/feb00/25/jordan25.htm

Fortson-Wallace
    http://newyorkpost.com/sports/25232.htm

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited February 25, 2000).]

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Was he upset at Falk for not taking the best offer that NY made or upset that the Knicks didn't offer more?

Mango

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Here Jeff read this.

Gary Kingston Vancouver Sun
    He's been called an idiot, David Duchovny in short pants and a taller Steve Francis.

Vancouver Grizzlies forward Othella Harrington couldn't care less. He doesn't like rainy, dreary Vancouver, isn't the least bit shy about saying so and doesn't think that should be held against him as long he does his job on the court.

"Do I really care what people call me?" Harrington said Friday. "I just want them to appreciate what I do on the court."

The soft-spoken, first-year Grizzlie set off a firestorm of criticism when he suggested after Thursday night's game that confirmation the NBA team would not be moved to St. Louis made for "a sad day in Vancouver."

Radio stations ran the clip repeatedly, often with acidic commentary. Grizzlies' fans flooded the team's switchboard with angry calls.

Harrington, 25 and a native of Jackson, Miss., said he meant no disrespect to fans, "but I was hoping for a move."

Nearly from the moment he arrived in Vancouver after being acquired in an off-season trade from Houston for, among others, reluctant draft pick Francis, Harrington has made it clear he's not enamoured with the weather, the culture and the high Canadian taxes.

"How many people have been here and said the same things I'm saying?" Harrington said Friday after a practice at GM Place. "It's not a prerequisite that I like it here."

Harrington said he has been treated well by fans and conceded he's found some good restaurants and had the odd good time - New Year's in Whistler, for instance - but just hasn't been able to fully adjust to life in the Great White North.

"It's a beautiful city - when you can see it," said Harrington with a laugh. "Maybe I'm spoiled. I broke in in Houston ... sunny weather all the time, got comfortable, then I had to move to a place where it rains all the time. It's so dreary, you don't want to go outside, whereas in Houston, everyday right now I'd wear shorts, flip-flops, cut-off T-shirt, have my top down."

Harrington's teammates needled him mercilessly at practice Friday. And GM Stu Jackson got in his own barb: "I told him they called me this morning and told me he'd been relieved of his duties at the Vancouver Chamber of Commerce. It's a sad day."

Jackson said that while he wished Harrington wasn't so vocal in his dislike of the city, he wasn't about to muzzle him.

"He's got every right to offer his opinion," said Jackson. "He did not choose to live here. It wasn't his choice and we have to respect that and be somewhat tolerant of that. Is that the view of the Grizzlies? Absolutely not ... but the fact he said it, there's not a darn thing you can do about it."

Harrington, who shares a Kitsilano area condominium with his wife, Shannon, and two dogs, declined to answer directly when asked if he wants to be traded.

Jackson said there is no way he'll trade the four-year veteran. The 6'9" 235-pound power forward has been a solid contributor, averaging 13.9 points and 7.6 rebounds per game.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Gotta love Houston Weather

Rocket River

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

there were also supposedly draft choices involved....othella is certainly a good value...his contract is relatively low for the effort and ability he brings to the court every night...unless othella has become a major malcontent, i cannot see where vancouver would want to dump him straight up for wallace...while his contractual value is low, it is long term (one of those 7 year deals he signed prior to last season)...

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let me just say one thing. I'm thrilled to see Aelliot expand his interests past stiff capology discussions and pull out 3 exclamation points!!! That's the first time I've seen the Curator of Quotes express himself.

I like it. Just watch your proclamations everyone, aelliot will come out of the darkness and shoot down exaggerations with cutting quotes. He certainly keeps me in line.

12. aelliott

That's the first time I've seen the Curator of Quotes express himself

Please, I prefer the title Czar of Quotation.

PS. Just for the sake of accuracy, there's 2
    "T"s in aelliott!

13. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

You'd gotta think,

that'd we'd like to have this guy back.. I mean.. he has no harsh feelings towards the rockets..and he can play. Some of the other threads read that we can't utilize our guards by having KT. Well, how about othella? =) I'm not saying i'm unhappy with KT. Remember how good a "sport" Othella was? Bringing in a strong effort game after game? Well, he can score on those "dump-off" points..because he's a black-hole on offense. Whatever,.. I just think having this guy back in the future would be a good thing. That maybe you trade away a some nice marbles for a diamond, but maybe you'll pay a little cash to get one of your marbles back in the future. i dunno, it'd still be a story in the NBA. Look at those who are kinda still edgy with the rockets. Anyone catch that article in SLAM on sam i am.. titled.. "being sam cassell" First game of the season he scored 35 pts. and dished who knows how-many assists...and when asked by Scoop Jackson, you got beef? "yes."

I know i don't make a whole lot of sense..but.. anyone have any thoughts?

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I would love to have Othella back. He would provide a much needed big body....and a capable one at that. But I don't want to sacrifice KT to get him either.