1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OSX 10.8 - Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by xcrunner51, Jul 25, 2012.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Came out today. It's $20 to download.

The one feature I was stoked about (Airplay Mirroring) isn't supported on my laptop (13in mid-2009 MBP). I probably won't upgrade at all; my laptop is sluggish on Lion already.

Anyone else upgrading?

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Got things where I want them for now, at least on the machines that would handle it. Staying where I am for the time being.

I am curious to hear from people that use it as to what's worthy.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm still running 10.5. I guess I have a lot of catching up to do.

4. Omer

Omer Member

Waiting for Apple to send me the damn code for free upgrade with my Air.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yup same here. I got a MacBook Pro Retina on order which should be here in a couple weeks and then I will install it on that. Won't install it on my current MacBook because I will be selling it.

1 person likes this.
  6. xcrunner51

Surely it would come with mountain lion installed right?

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Upgraded, I like some of these new features. Notifications is pretty cool. Wanted to try Airplay, but don't have Apple TV.

8. xcrunner51

If you don't mind me asking, what model/year do you have? I'm wondering if there's a slowdown or if all the rumors of a "faster more streamlined experience" are true.

9. Stack24

I guess you might be right since it's will be coming much later. I know the first batch and anyone getting them now will have to use an upgrade code.

I guess I'll find out soon enough. I have an Aug 6-10 delivery date at the moment.

10. Stack24

Shot you an email.

11. Saado

Saado Member

Installed Mountain Lion. I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro. Never made the jump to Lion because of all the performance issues and stuff, but Mountain Lion feels as good as Snow Leopard to me. Some nice new features as well.

My biggest gripe was how they got rid of Spaces and Expose from Snow Leopard, but now there's an app that brings that functionality back, so I'm ready to move forward. Check it out below if interested.

http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/

Recommend the upgrade.

12. xcrunner51

Interesting. I bet you're seeing the benefits of the Lion-features too.

They didn't get rid of the spaces/expose features, they merged it into Mission Control. Not quite the same, but similar.

Thanks for the review.

13. ItsMyFault

The mid 2009 13" macbook pro. It's the one with the core 2 duo processor. OSX is still running pretty smooth. There's definitely no slowdown with mine. Recommended.

14. Saado

Saado Member

I know they didn't get rid of it... but they made it much less robust. I actually did upgrade to Lion previously, but went back to Snow Leopard. With TotalSpaces though, I feel no need to stick around at Snow Leopard and I finally get to take advantage of iCloud and the other new features.

Another app I'd recommend is BetterTouchTool. Allows you assign gestures to any action basically.

http://blog.boastr.net/

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

i'll upgrade because they fixed expose again from Lion. I didn't upgrade to Lion solely because they ruined Expose.

16. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Any idea How long it will take Apple to send out the upgrade codes? I'm getting anxious.

17. ItsMyFault

Chrome is acting a bit weird for me now. I hope Google comes out with another update for it. It's definitely not working correctly on some sites I go to.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

My main problem with it was Flash.

19. ItsMyFault

Yeah, Flash is a little jittery. Some images don't load on on some sites, and sometimes the pages don't load up correctly so it shows up in html format with no frames. I'm running version 20.0.1132.57 of Chrome.

20. trustme

trustme Member

Seems like Chrome is on a downward slope. Been hearing a lot of complaints about it.

Safari 6 really is pretty fast. Got some good systemwide integration in it as well. I'm still on Lion and this thing is blazing fast. I might make the switch over from Opera in ML, but the option+tab feature to cycle through tabs is what's going to make it tough.