1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt not a happy camper right now

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rcoleman15, Jul 31, 2006.

1. rcoleman15

rcoleman15 Contributing Member

Well as much anger as you are venting they pretty much look like your opinions

I am not going to check out anything. I asked you to provide his quotes from the past and implied he's been doing it for multiple seasons. So again where is your proof of these comments that you claim he's been making for several seasons.

You now I find it absolutely hilarious that you would use a quote from an anonamous major league official partly due to the fact that you told me this ("vast majority of info put out by "mlb sources" this time of year is complete b.s.") when it came to these sources and these rumors.

So I got to ask what makes this info not BS as well?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

ESPN just said the Red Sox were close to a 3 team swap in which Red Sox get Andruw Jones and trade him to us for Oswalt! Hell no :eek: I feel sorry for him

3. compucomp

compucomp Member

If he's really this sensitive and he really wants to test free agency after 2007.... he's going to be miserable next season, because trade rumors will be swirling around him pretty much starting this offseason, just like it surrounded Soriano.

4. Major

Major Member

Why on earth should he waste his time just because you don't want to believe what everyone else knows? It seems like it's just your loss - why would he care?

5. rcoleman15

So we tried to trade not once but twice. Oh this just keeps getting better and better. I just noticed BBTN was on is this were that was said?

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Yeah.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Pupura and McLane were on Fox26 tonight saying that at NO time did they offer Oswalt to anyone. They said teams asked, but that he and Berkman were completely off the table at all times. Damage control or the truth?

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my guess is it's in-betwen. my guess is they provided baltimore with information regarding every player that didn't have a no-trade clause. oswalt's name is on that list. the orioles inquired. a source blew it up.

9. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This all makes me sick ... I hope Roy believes he wasn't on the block, but part of me believes he was almost traded. If I think that, I can only imagine that Roy probably believes the same thing.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea
    but that price just got higher

Rocket River

11. rcoleman15

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1586555&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Oswalt upset by trade talk
    Astros ace sounds off despite not being dealt at deadline
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Roy Oswalt has been eyeing free agency for a while, so if he does decide to go that route after the 2007 season, it won't be entirely due to his reaction to how he perceived the events that took place leading up to Monday's non-waiver trade deadline.

But hearing his name in trade talks involving the Orioles, among other teams, didn't help. Oswalt is upset that he was mentioned in a potential package, along with Adam Everett and perhaps Morgan Ensberg, for superstar shortstop Miguel Tejada. He feels the Astros have not been honest with him regarding their desire to keep him as an Astro, and in that respect, he'll have no qualms about testing the free-agent market next year.

Oswalt is not opposed to signing a long-term deal with Houston, but that deal, he said, needs to be reached before the current season is over. And he's looking for a five-year contract.

"We'll see how it turns out," Oswalt said. "I could play the whole year out and then not get an offer at the end of the year. Why not play another year and listen to other teams?

"They say I'm a franchise player, just like Lance [Berkman]. If I'm just like Lance, treat me like Lance."

Oswalt, according to a Major League executive, was never offered by the Astros. Any mention of Oswalt's name came from the Orioles, who ended up not dealing Tejada to any team by the 3 p.m. CT deadline.

After the Orioles asked for Oswalt, the two sides continued discussions, but the Major League source estimated the odds of any deal being made involving the ace right-hander were less than 20 percent.

While the Astros did not make a deal, they were able to gauge the level of interest from other clubs for several players. The interest for Oswalt, 28, was undoubtedly high -- which comes as no surprise, considering he's coming off back-to-back 20-win seasons.

Oswalt said the Astros should have told him first that they were going to see what he attracts on the market. He's not completely sure that he believes the Astros never intended to trade him.

"If you want to throw my name out there to see what the value is, what I'm worth to other teams, run it by me first," he said. "If you're not going to trade me and you want to see what I'm worth, don't throw my name out there.

"Tell me up front. Since no deal went through, it's easy to say, 'We weren't going to trade you.'

"One thing about me. I'm never going to lie to you. I don't want to be lied to. Don't talk outside one side of your mouth and say something else."

Oswalt heard that he was offered to Baltimore, who would have traded him to the Rangers. Oswalt also heard that once word got out that he was on the market, the Mets and Red Sox also asked about him.

"We have good sources outside of Houston who know a lot that went on," Oswalt said. "People don't think that I know."

Pressed for further explanation, Oswalt declined to elaborate.

General manager Tim Purpura declined to give specific details about players who were potentially trade bait, but he did acknowledge that any player who was not protected by a no-trade clause was subject to discussion. Oswalt, working on a two-year deal, has no such clause in his contract.

The fact that Oswalt is under club control for only one more year before he's eligible for free agency also factors into the saga.

"You have to assess the value of your players," Purpura said. "You have listen to what people have to say about your players. You have to listen to your own people, how they assess the player. You have to think about control -- how long do you control the player? We control him for another year, after that, he becomes a free agent. That factors into it. That factors into every equation.

"Some of the trades we talked about with other clubs were not consummated because the other clubs felt, 'What I'm getting is not commesurate to how long we control them.'"

It is unclear whether the Astros and Oswalt can reach a long-term deal by the end of the season, but Purpura has hopes that Oswalt will remain in Houston for the extended future.

"That would certainly be a goal, to talk to Roy long-term," Purpura said. "But that being said, it's like making a trade, you have to have two sides that want to do that. I would hope Roy has had a positive experience here. He's been a key part of our tradition. I would hope he would be amenable to staying on board and helping us the next several years."

Said Oswalt: "There are two sides of baseball. The business side and sometimes you get involved to where it's family-oriented. You get reminded that mostly, it's a business."

12. rcoleman15

Wow just heard the Red Sox thing myself on BBTN as well. It was reported by Buster Olny. Olny said the plan was for the RedSox to acquire Andrew Jones from the Braves and then ship him to us for Oswalt.

This was apparently the Sox second attempt to acquire Oswalt becuase they also contacted the O's incase they acquired him to try to get Roy. Once that failed they apparently contacted Houston directly.

Man if they wanted him that bad you know they are surely going to be waiting on him when free-agency rolls around for Roy.

#32 rcoleman15, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Well maybe we can get some sweet prospects for Oswalt in the off-season. Hopefully a stud hitter and another stud pitcher.

14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Oswalt's spinning this. He already was going to test free agency after 2007. They better put the full court press to sign him as soon as possible, or trade him in the off-season.

15. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Give him a road grader of something to go along with the rest of his heavy farm equipment. He'll forgive (though probably not forget).

He's still going to want a massive payday after '07 though. And he'll get it.

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Oswalt's not above the team... It's very dissapointing that his name was thrown out there in the first place as he should be a mainstay on this team for years to come. But if the team wanted to throw his name around, there are entirely in their right to do so...they don't have to seek his permission first. It's a business, nothing personal. I can't believe they even did this in the first place. Instead of floating his name around they should've been hamerring away at a contract extension.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

oswalt doesn't need to b**** about having his name floated about. the astros can talk trade with and about whoever they want. that said, since pujols wasn't being offered, oswalt's name has no f#$king buisiness being discussed in trades. i guess we will never find out how close roy was to actually being traded but timmy's spin isn't very re-assuring.

what's the problem with giving oswalt 14million over the next 5 or 6 years? he's 28 and one of the very best pitchers in baseball. he deserves that contract and i'll be extremely pissed if our offer isn't good enough to keep him.

#37 BigM, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Shouldn't it go both ways though? We want players to be upfront and say "I'm going to test the FA market" or to tells us whether they are really going to consider signing with us and not use us to drive up the bidding from the teams they really want to sign with (Beltran).

Anyways, before this season is over, they better offer him 75 to 80 million over 5 years. That's the kind of money Barry Zito is going to be getting (hopefully from Houston as well).

19. Major

Major Member

Giving any pitcher a 5 or 6 year deal is a huge risk. You're one arm injury or one mechnical issue (Lidge) away from crippling your team for 5 years - look how much the Bagwell injury has caused this team problems, and that's a 1-yr thing. Hitters usually can recover and injuries last a season at most. Pitchers can have injuries that take 18 months to heal, and they may never be the same again.

20. toby

toby Member

"That would certainly be a goal, to talk to Roy long-term," Purpura said. "But that being said, it's like making a trade, you have to have two sides that want to do that. I would hope Roy has had a positive experience here. He's been a key part of our tradition. I would hope he would be amenable to staying on board and helping us the next several years."

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement of our #1 starter. This thing is making me ill. What the hell are they thinking. This is potentially going to be worse than Nolan.