1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Oswalt Asks For Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by LongTimeFan, May 21, 2010.

1. Major

Major Member

In theory, a player should be worth more now than July. If you're trading for Oswalt to help you win this season, he has a lot more value to you if he pitches 20 starts for you instead of 10, so you should be willing to give up more for him.

That said, it never seems to work that way in MLB, from what I can tell.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Interesting take from Ken Rosenthal on how Cliff Lee affects trading Oswalt

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Here's hoping the Mariners start playing better. They are in a very winnable division, and they have the talent to start winning. They just need Bradley to keep his head on straight, Kotchman/Figgins to start playing towards their career averages, and Bedard to come back healthy.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

there's going to be more than one team looking to acquire a pitcher. lee's trade would set the market i suppose, but he doesn't really affect roy's trade-ability.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

I think he was trying to imply that they stay in the race and want to keep lee for the playoffs. Then Roy would really set the market. Especially if he keeps pitching like he did today.

8. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

I think even if Lee is on the market that most of the teams that won't have legitimate shot at Roy Oswalt (Nationals, Reds, and I guess Mets) will be gunning for Cliff Lee and will leave Roy Oswalt open to the teams that can't/won't match the prospects those listed teams will be willing to part ways with for Lee. That leaves both LA teams, the Rangers, Tigers, Red Sox, Yankees, and possibly Twins to fight it out for Roy.

Lee is definitely a more attractive option than Oswalt. Cheaper, younger and better recent success. In the end it shouldn't affect Oswalts trade value or number of potential suitors come trade deadline, but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Did anyone here about that jackass Steve Phillips say he would trade Strasburg for Oswalt? I think he was induced in a sex coma or something kinky like that when he made those idiotic remarks. Oh yeah, he drafted Gayvid Wright, but he also made stupid trades like Kazmir for Victor Zambrano and signing Mo 'fat on roids' Vaughn.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

See, I can't hope for that. I have a standing bet with good friend who doubles as a Mariners fan. We bet beer on who between the Astros and Mariners has a better record at the end of the season. Even as bad as the Astros are, I still have a chance at this point of free beer.

That said, I hope Cliff Lee starts to do poorly so that he's a little less attractive. Needs more games like his last one where he gave up 7 er (and still got the win).

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think the issue is that teams, GM's, and owners are still figuring out what they have to a degree. Some teams (Nationals type) think "well MAYbe we can keep this up. Promote a Strasburg, and maybe we're in the playoffs on our own". Some teams think they're out of it and get back in it (Astros from crappy to acquiring Randy Wolf or whatever in the past).

Then you probably have some teams that would like to make a move now. But with the only interest coming from those teams and not from the above 2 types, the team willing to trade a player would be better served waiting for the other players in the market to show themselves in order to drive the price higher

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

SI_JonHeyman bad news for #'stros. #yankees unlikely to become heavily involved in oswalt. "we like our starters,'' one official said.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think thats obvious.

Hughes has been amazing
    Sabathia is a star
    Pettitte can still pitch
    Burnett is very good
    Vazquez has a lot invested in him, and is a quality pitcher.

Yankees only get involved if there is an injury. I don't see them making a deal for Oswalt even if the wheels fall back off of Vazquez.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think anyone really regarded the Yanks as a player in this. They're pretty well set and, even though they're the Yankees, don't want that much extra salary. They've been much more responsible over the last couple of years...though Vasquez is trying to prove otherwise.

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Sports media will always bring up the Yanks/Sox for every rumored trade out there.

Kind of sucks some of the teams we're looking at have issues with ownership (Dodgers, Rangers).

15. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7026088.html

16. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Ed Wade has got to be playing coy here...he cannot possibly be stupid enough to think this team has a shot at anything this year.

But he certainly has annoyed with his comments regarding this whole Oswalt issue.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tim Kurkjan and Buster Olney dont think he'll be traded, citing Astros will want too much for Oswalt, Oswalt wants/prefers to stay in the National League w/ 2 teams in mind: St Louis and Atlanta. Boston writer Nick Cafardo echos this:

and a short story on Mills/Astros

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/linc...pic_continues_to_get_batted_around/?page=full

18. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

From ESPN Insider this morning:

I would love to see us get Smoak

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not Oswalt related but something I saw passed along on twitter: Angels not a spot for Berkman unless Astros take Kazmir.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Yea, I didn't really know where to post so I put it in the game thread. I'd have to sleep on Kazmir for Puma, not sure how I'd feel about that move.