1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt Asks For Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by LongTimeFan, May 21, 2010.

1. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

man they need to hire Morey for the negotiations.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess you don't remember John McMullen.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I heard this as well on 790am and Drayton did sound more delusional then normal. He actually said that when the year started he thought they put together a team that would compete and could be a champion. He's officially lost it.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rays, Yanks, Phillies, Cards, and Giants. If Roy really wants to win one this year he should put those teams on his list. Imagine Roy with the Giants to go with Lincecum and Zito :eek:

5. AB423

AB423 Member

Lincecum
    Oswalt
    Cain
    Zito
    Sanchez

that is one sick rotation :eek:

6. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I hate this. Roy has been my favorite Astro for a long time. I'm not so bothered that he wants to be traded, its more that we're at the point where we have no hope. I feel like our organization should be competitive most years. Drayton needs to sell this team to someone who is going to keep us as a player.

We better get some serious prospects for this. As long as its not in division or the yankees. :(

7. Poloshirtbandit

He was also able to trade Chris Burke for Valverde. If he would have gotten a bag of Doritos for Burke I would have been amazed.

8. Raven

Raven Member

It's strange. We have one of the best NBA owners but one of the worst MLB owners.

9. Raven

Raven Member

He's just your typical Texas businessman Bull #####er. He's wealthier than most of them, but he's cut from the same cloth.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

why would this surprise you?? i can't imagine an owner getting on the radio and saying, "yeah..you're right. we suck. we're the worst. it's going to be YEARS before we field a competitive team. you guys should stop buying tickets to watch this crap."

what people say on the radio....and what they are actually doing in running an organization....are very different things. recent action shows they released matsui. it's a start. but we're no where near the trade deadline, and none of us has any idea how much work the astros have put into finding packages in return for guys like Oswalt.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

releasing a player hitting .141 is not rebuilding. It is not a start to anything except that having him as one of the 25 guys trying to win a game is a bad baseball decision.

12. MadMax

bringing up a minor leaguer to take his position is better than not. it's a shift, because we've all criticized the astros for handing out contracts they shouldn't have to guys like matsui instead of letting guys from the farm get a shot.

since there wasn't a draft on the day they released matsui, or any other day since they last drafted, i'd say the news regarding releasing matsui is good news and evidence of a bit of a shift in philosophy.

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

As someone whose team lost their best pitcher a while back (Halladay), I think the Astros trading Roy O is the best thing to do. The guy deserves a chance to win.

14. Poloshirtbandit

Worst? I wouldn't go that far. You could be a Pirates fan. Whenever they get an All-Star type player they end up trading him away.

15. MadMax

and they haven't had a playoff appearance since 1992

16. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

What do you expect him to say? We will start out 15-28, our star players will ask for a trade and I've lost complete bargaining power. Drayton is a smart business man even if he's not a good one.

17. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

The rebuilding process hasn't started until we begin the fire sale. A shift in philosophy and rebuilding aren't quite the same thing. I wouldn't call releasing Kaz specifically a sign that there is a change in philosophy coming. I believe Kaz was just taking up space when we had other guys capable of supplanting him all while giving new blood a shot and giving the much deserving Keppinger his starting gig.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yea that is one hell of a rotation. They need to make a move for a couple of bats too. Will be hard for a lineup with Huff batting 3rd to make a serious World Series run. Him joining the Yanks would be lethal too

C.C.
    Burnett
    Roy O
    Andy P
    Hughes

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Guys, have neither of you played poker before?

I am not saying that we will necessarily trade Roy. I can tell you that if the owner and GM rushed to panic and started publicly saying that Roy would be traded, it would greatly reduce what clubs would be willing to give up.

You cannot have a public sense of urgency. Create a seller's market, not a buyer's market.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Quoted for truth, wisdom and common sense.