1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oswalt Asks For Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by LongTimeFan, May 21, 2010.

1. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Oswalt is doing the right thing , dude is 2-6 with a ERA 2.66 . He has given a lot to the Astros ,plus Astros are a one of the worst teams in MLB this year. The farm system is a joke ,has been for a while also.

Oswalt go to a contender and try to win a WS after giving so much for a team for a long time !

2. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

The wheels are beginning to spin.

Lets make this happen...sad that we have fallen so much since our run at the WS...

But this is necessary and the right thing to do

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

After the May 15 loss to Lincecum, it seemed really obvious to me in listening to his post game comments that he was really, really frustrated at what is laughably known as the offense. I got the impression that he believed he was going to lose unless he did something miraculous like pitch a no-hitter.

It would have been nice, however, if it didn't get out in the media and potentially hurt the Astros' leverage in making a trade.

4. Major

Major Member

Besides Berkman, who on this team on offense will fetch anything?

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Pence and Bourn are untouchable imo, but if they get plethora of prospects, I'd pull the trigger. Quintero might have some value. I'd outright release Lee.

Felix could be traded for a bag of Doritos in case Wade is hungry...

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Well, we have the second worst record in all of baseball, so that really reduces the number of teams we can try and trade with.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Phillies could have had Cliff Lee too but they decided that they needed more prospects so they traded him. What makes you think they will go after Oswalt if it means trading those same prospects?

8. Major

Major Member

I think you could say the same thing last year. From day 1, I think we knew that the team would need a miracle to do anything. I don't think last year's team really underperformed, but I do think Drayton & the front office had unrealistic expectations.

Yeah - sorry about that. I don't think Oswalt did it for selfless reasons - I'm just glad he did it. I just think Drayton is overly optimistic and needed a kick like this to press the issue.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bourn I would consider untouchable, but Pence? Guy hasn't improved at all since his rookie season. I'd shop him around too.

10. Major

Major Member

I wouldn't release Lee - you still have to pay his salary for the rest of his contract, and his bat should come back to life. His fatness is a problem though. If Berkman gets traded, I would just put Lee at 1B.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Something that hasnt really been brought up yet:

Would you agree or disagree with this sentiment?

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's also super tough luck that he keeps finding himself matched up with a Cy Young candidate every time he takes the mound :)

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm sure McLane will make sure that happens. I could see several "Roy Oswalt nights" happening in fact.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The question is, where does Oswalt fit? The contract will make it difficult.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

to be fair, the Astros have made a bunch of pitchers look like Cy Young candidates this season.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most teams have contracts they wouldn't mind getting get rid of. For instance, if you trade him to the Mets, you can take back Oliver Perez and I bet you could get them to throw a bunch of cash in the deal (in addition to several top prospects).

And since the team isn't going to be winning anything any time soon and doesn't have a logjam of young starting pitchers ready to step in, you could plug him in as #5 in the rotation for roughly a year and let him eat however many innings he can. I mean, he sucks, but so does most of the rest of the team.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I really appreciate Roy's time here, he's been one of the best pitchers the Astros have ever seen. I've been wanting to rebuild for the last couple of years, it's just time the Astros stop fooling themselves. I just hope Wade doesn't botch a trade, we need a quality return

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Thank you Roy-O. We all understand and are with you.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/oswalts-preferred-destinations-arent-good-fits.html

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The problem is that the Mets, who are a perfect fit for the team, may not be acceptable to Roy. In July, we will know a lot more.