1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando wants webber in sign and trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by losttexan, May 15, 2001.

Tags:
  1. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

This was reported that in the NY Daily News that Orlando is after Webber and is willing to trade Grant Hill and 2 #1 picks to get him.

I don't know if this is true but if Webber is willing to go to Orlando I can't see many teams coming up with a better package. But Orlando probably isn't the kind of town Webber is interested in.

------------------

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

why would Sac town do this?
    I think they have been great in the draft
    but Hill plays the 3 . . . .will he
    supplant Peja? or will J-Dub be on the
    bench with Hill at the 2 and christie at the 1?

Not to mention that Hill's ankle is still
    a question for most

Rocket River

------------------

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

If I were Sacramento, I'd do this in a heartbeat. You're not gonna get anything better from anyone else. Grant Hill still has trade value -- you'll be able to get something good for him, despite his bad ankle. And 2 more no. 1 picks is excellent as well.

------------------
    "Up and down, inside out, outside in, some you lose some you win"
    -- DMB -> "Sweet Up and Down"

4. ricky812

ricky812 Member

Orlando is nuts. Why would you trade a superstar like Grant Hill WHO THEY JUST GOT LAST YEAR, and hasn't even played yet. Talk about loyalty. I really think a healthy Grant Hill is better than a healthy Chris Webber. Plus add on 2 first round picks. If I were Sac, I would take it in a heartbeat.
    But, I still think it is outrageous. Anyway if this is true and if the trade works out it work suck a$$ for us. Not only do we not get Chris we would also lose a first round pick this year.

------------------

5. haven

haven Member

But does Webber want to play in Orlando? He complained about Sacramento's night life. Orlando's best restraunt is Denny's. He'd be going from Disneyland to Disney World - not exactly what he wants to do.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

[This message has been edited by haven (edited May 15, 2001).]

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

But Grant Hill isn't healthy and may not get healthy. And how pissed would he be to be traded, while injured, a year away from signing a big deal with Orlando? Sacramento is losing a player who didn't want to be there - why would they want to get another unhappy guy in return?

------------------
    We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess they gonna punish Hill for not producing Duncan :)

Rocket River

------------------

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think someone is making up that trade.

Did anyone here ever play a game in school? The teacher reads a brief article to the first person in a row and that story gets whispered to each kid down the row and by the time the last kid says aloud to the whole class what he thinks the story is, it barely resembles the original? And everyone gets a good laugh?

This is something that Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune made up and some Orlando-happy sports writers are repeating. It's too much of a betrayal by the Magic. I think it would be more likely to trade Mike Miller for a power forward or center.

------------------

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Grant Hill and Mike Miller? Damn how could you turn that down. Hill is an all star and Miller is a future stud. Hope its not true because the Rockets can't offer a better deal.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady and 3 first rounders for Chris Webber? How do you turn that down if you're Sacramento?

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

shaq, penny and nick anderson for webber?

cmon, it's a steal!

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

LilFrancis,

It doesn't matter if the Rockets could top it; it's Webber's choice, not the Kings. And I'll be willing to bet that this package is complete BS. Orlando would not damage its reputation for free agents in the future by doing this, and Hill and 2 first rounders for Webber is probably giving too much anyway. This is nothing but another New York writer thinking of a trade in his head that would work and then passing it off as an actual possibility.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

13. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

I think this trade would be very stupid on Orlando's part considering that Hill is almost as good, if not a better all-around player than Chris Webber (not to mention the two first round draft picks). I definitely don't think Orlando would want to trade Mike Miller either. I hear that they plan to play Hill at the point or two guard position next season. Orlando showed that they were a pretty good team in the playoffs without Hill playing. They kept every game with the Bucks pretty close down the stretch. I think it would be a good thing for Orlando if WE landed C-Webb. That would give them a great shot at landing Mo Taylor, who has always liked Orlando.

------------------

14. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Wouldn't Grant Hill have some kind of trade clause in his contract?

------------------

15. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Hey I played that game in Spanish class. We called it "operator".

------------------
    Note: It was my cowhead. I started the cowhead craze, and my cowhead inspired Mooch to step up and bring us a victory. Thank you for your time. :D

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If I were Sactown I would take Jordan, Charles and Hakeem for C-Webb any day!

------------------

17. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Give the city of Orlando more credit. When compared to Sacramento, Orlando begins to look like Las Vegas.

------------------
    ``We need to FOCASS".... Akeem Olajuwon

18. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I don't care if you compare it to the Ponderosa, Orlando will never look like Las Vegas.

------------------
    Charles Barkely on the Raptors defeating the Knicks in Round 1 :"I think it was the Lord. The Lord was with the Raptors. You know the Knicks like to talk so much about religion, but I think the Lord was a Raptor fan."

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's an interesting story, or should I say speculation?

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/kings/articles/2001/may/20010515kings2.html

And a comical plea to Webber.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-spt-whitley16 051601.column?coll=orl%2Dmagic

Another article speculating that Miller might be traded, but this one speculates Antonio Davis.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-spt-schmitz050501.column?coll=orl%2Dmagic

It's starting to look like Orlando could be the Rockets greatest obstacle to acquiring Webber. I believe they could have the best package to offer in a sign & trade with Sacramento. I worked up a couple of trades through RealGM with last years numbers, but they should be close for this year.

Trade #1:

Orlando sends DeClerq/Miller/Outlaw/Armstrong to Sacramento.

Sacramento sends Webber to Orlando.

Orlando could release Sacramento from the #1 pick that they owe them & throw in one or two more #1 picks. Orlando has, in addition to the pick owed to us & the Sacramento obligation, two picks this year & two coming in the future from the Clippers & Phoenix, according to RealGM. Orlando also owes two future #1 picks to other teams, so that would have to be considered.

Trade #2:

Orlando sends DeClercq/Miller/Outlaw/Amaechi/Armstrong to Sacramento.

Sacramento sends Webber/Williams to Orlando.

The included draft picks would be about the same as the first trade. This trade is speculated because of the story on the first link. The second trade would give Orlando a starting lineup of:

C: Doleac
    PF: Webber
    SF: Hill
    SG: McGrady
    PG: Williams

Sacramento would have a lineup of:

C: Divac
    PF: Pollard
    SF: Peja
    SG: Miller
    PG: Armstrong

These trades are assuming that Webber would go to Orlando(with that lineup, why wouldn't he?), Amaechi/DeClercq don't opt out(or at least can be resigned at a reasonable price), & that Hill is healthy.

Obviously, this would mean that we wouldn't get Webber, but at this point, who knows. I don't know, would Orlando or Sacramento go for this deal? What do ya'll think?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hottoddie (edited May 16, 2001).]

20. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I started a similar thread a couple days ago but it does make sense to trade Hill. THe Magic have 3 players who play the 2-3 positions (McGrady who is untouchable, Miller the ROY, and Hill who was a great player but who was injured). Makes perfect sense to trade either Hill or Miller.
    I think giving up 2 #1s is a bit much, but Orlando has some of the same benefits as Houston. Warm weather and no state taxes. He would also be able to play with a young superstar (McGrady) and he would have a better chance of winning in the East htna having to go thru Shaq & Duncan in the West. He would have o go thru one for the championship, but in the west more than likely he has to go thru both of them.
    Also remember Hill does play the point forward like Scottie did in Chicago, and is probably quick enough to play the SG full time and let Stoy play the SF.
    I think it makes perfect sense for both sides.