1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando Sentinel: Rockets' chances to join elite in West will flow through Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidS, Jan 25, 2004.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Rockets' chances to join elite in West will flow through Yao

As others can attest, having a franchise center is invaluable in today's NBA.

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted January 25, 2004

This might be one of those seasons when being really bad brings really good returns in the NBA. Nothing changes the fortunes of a franchise like a franchise center. Like Patrick Ewing, Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan did for their teams before him -- all centers taken with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft -- Yao Ming is on the verge of transforming the Houston Rockets into a Western Conference power. The Rockets (25-17) will play the Magic (12-32) at 6 tonight at TD Waterhouse Centre, expecting to win their third consecutive game and sixth in the past seven. At 7 feet 6 and 310 pounds -- and with good skills to match -- Yao is being used as the centerpiece/foundation to a new era in Houston, something that only a dominating center can provide.

The next one available -- likely in the 2004 draft -- should be 7-foot-4, 270-pound Russian Pavel Podkolzine, an almost-certain No. 1 overall pick, which is something the Magic could land if they continue to struggle with the worst record in the league. Although players such as guard LeBron James and forwards Kenyon Martin and Elton Brand -- all recent No. 1 picks -- bring plenty of promise and pizazz, only the great centers can bring certainty to an otherwise uncertain franchise. The only championships won since the end of the Chicago Bulls era in 1998 have been with O'Neal or Duncan providing the stability at center that no one else in the NBA can match -- until Yao arrived.

"A center like Yao Ming anchors you both defensively and offensively," Magic Coach Johnny Davis said. "He makes all his teammates better. He makes it easier for everyone. "It makes your life as a coach a whole lot easier. All you've got to do is reference back to when Shaq was here [Orlando]."

O'Neal, taken No. 1 by the Magic in 1992, helped Orlando rocket into the NBA Finals in his third season, carrying a fragile, young team along for the ride. When he left a year later for Los Angeles, where he has won three championships with the Lakers, he started a downward spiral that still hasn't stopped.

"Man, I think about that all the time, what it would be like playing with a center like that," Magic all-star Tracy McGrady said. "Everybody's game would just go to another level. That's why Kobe [Bryant] is so effective. He can gamble defensively with a guy like Shaq behind him. And Shaq attracts so much attention offensively, everyone else is free."

Although Yao is in only his second NBA season, the Rockets already are riding him. He clogs the middle defensively. He opens the floor for his teammates on offense. His presence alone comes with big positives. Houston guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley find themselves amazingly open at times. Journeyman Jimmy Jackson, almost out of the league this past summer, has rediscovered his worth playing with Yao.

Veteran Maurice Taylor sees great opportunities on offense. "He makes us a totally different team when he's effective," Jackson said. "He opens up the driving lane, the passing lane, the cross-court passes, everything. And he's just learning the game. He's just playing the game, playing on instinct.

"Putting the plays together will come when he realizes who he is and what he can do in this league."

Yao is averaging 16 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.86 blocks. He's the biggest reason the Rockets have become pit bulls defensively. They have forced opponents into a .389 shooting percentage, allowing 83.2 points. Both are league lows. It's easy to gamble when Yao is waiting to cover any mistakes.

"People have to alter their shots against him [Yao]," said Magic guard Tyronn Lue, who played with O'Neal on two championship teams in Los Angeles. "Defense is totally different with a big shot-blocker behind you."

Offensively, the Rockets like to start every possession with a pass into Yao, much like the Lakers used to do with O'Neal. Depending upon how defenses play against him, they react. In his past five games, Yao has averaged 20.4 points, 11.6 rebounds and two blocks while shooting 64.1 percent. His improved play has coincided with the Rockets' best play of the season.

"Even when he's not hitting, we want him to keep shooting," Francis said. "He'll learn that as we continue to feed him the ball, if they play him one-on-one, he has to dominate."

Francis has benefited as much as anyone from Yao. He already was a rising star before Yao arrived, but the Chinese center has allowed him to become a more complete player. O'Neal's presence in Orlando allowed Penny Hardaway to become an all-star. He has done the same for Bryant in Los Angeles. Francis, who is averaging 17 points, 5.8 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game, is expected to play in his third consecutive all-star game. Last season, he was one of two players in the NBA to average at least 20 points, six rebounds and six assists. Mobley has shot 38.6 percent from 3-point range. Like Francis, he has improved his all-around game playing with Yao. Compared to the double- and triple-team defenses that McGrady sees, Mobley runs the court without seeing more than one defender.

"They have a pretty good thing going, but it starts at center," Davis said. "He's a dominating presence who just makes everyone even better. It's quite a combination."

#1 DavidS, Jan 25, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

great read but
    do you guys notice how they usually leave hakeem out when they talk about centers/big men
    they always mention shaq and TD, sometimes Ewing and Robinson but with Hakeem, its like he never existed

3. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

orlando doesn't want to be reminded that he schooled shaq and the magic in the finals, so its easier not to talk about him then to bring up bad memories!

4. MONON

MONON Member

It's always interesting to hear what writers in other NBA cities think about Yao & the Rockets.

I would like to see what he says after the game. :D

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Did you notice that Hakeem was not taken with the first overall selection?

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Stevie for T-Mac?

7. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I doubt anyone but you would have noticed that, my friend.

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

9. NUMBER1HR

NUMBER1HR Member

I hope your kidding? Are you for real.......go bak to the 84 draft and see who was elected first overall. Then come back and fix your quote. I can't beleive this guy. Every Rocket's fan should know when Hakeem was drafted

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Could you tell me who was that year????

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

suppose he was being sarcastic. maybe not.

12. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Hakeem was drafted first in 1984.

Period. Damnit. lol

13. KMC1499

KMC1499 Member

I think he realized that Hakeem was taken first in the draft but he was pointing out that althought they mentioned the others Hakeem was not mentioned. Read between the lines a little.

14. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I don't think so.

15. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

One of the bests NBA draft ever...1984:

1984 DRAFT
    *Choice awarded to Cleveland to replace draft choices traded by
    previous ownership

First Round
    1 Hous Akeem Olajuwon Houston
    2 Port Sam Bowie Kentucky
    3 Chi Michael Jordan North Carolina
    4 Dall Sam Perkins North Carolina
    5 Phil Charles Barkley Auburn
    6 Wash Mel Turpin Kentucky
    7 SA Alvin Robertson Arkansas
    8 LAC Lancaster Gordon Louisville
    9 KC Otis Thorpe Providence
    10 Phil Leon Wood Cal State-Fullerton
    11 Atl Kevin Willis Michigan State
    12*Clev Tim McCormick Michigan
    13 Phoe Jay Humphries Colorado
    14 LAC Michael Cage San Diego State
    15 Dall Terence Stansbury Temple
    16 Utah John Stockton Gonzaga
    17 NJ Jeff Turner Vanderbilt
    18 Ind Vern Fleming Georgia
    19 Port Bernard Thompson Fresno State
    20 Det Tony Campbell Ohio State
    21 Mil Kenny Fields UCLA
    22 Phil Tom Sewell Lamar
    23 LAL Earl Jones District of Columbia
    24 Bos Michael Young Houston

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Contrary to your belief, I was being facetious.

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

It certainly doesn't read that way...there was no need to discern between ignoring Hakeem as a player in entirety, and additionlly as a 1st overall pick. If you meant to be facetious, you came off in an odd way. But, hey, that happens to us all.

18. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I don't think these "sports writers" know enough about basketball to know how truly great Hakeem was (or maybe even who he was).

19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I've always wondered why Hakeem goes so underappreciated. Personally, I think a lot has to do with him not putting up big numbers until he was under Rudy T. I think Fitch never used him to his true potential and Hakeem wasn't happy either. Hakeem was a different player then "Akeem".

I also think his accent cost him a bit. I mean, Hakeem wasn't exactly the most marketable player.

But it doesn't matter when you think about it, Hakeem was great and anyone who followed his career knowns how great he was. Not just for those numbers he put up, and his style, but to do it while not drinking any water during the day during Ramadan, geez, how many people really know that?

20. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I will have to leave one of these creative smily faces for you next time MacBeth.