1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Orlando Magic want Courtney Lee back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by G-Money, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Htown's2kFinest

it wouldn't even be a full year. it'll be less than half a season if it happens at the deadline and Denver would want A LOT back in return, even for that short rental. I'd expect they'd be asking for something like Martin, Scola, and some young players like Budinger WITH the NY picks. screw that... the guy probably has his mind made up already and is going to New York anyway.

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

lol, he went there :grin:

Touchy subject, but I don't think Dwight will be going anywhere.

Orlando has a raw dominant center tradition with Shaq and now Dwight. Fans like it and are used to it so it helps a franchise sell tickets to carry on a tradition.

Like how we have a tradition with dominant centers (and now centers with touch ala Hakeem now Yao).Chicago has very athletic competitive guards MJ D.Rose, LA has a tradition, Pistons have tough defenive teams with tough defensive rebounding Fowards (Rodman, Wallace) paired with strong guards (Isaiah Thomas/Dumars, Billups/Rip).

Parents and children can talk about the great players of their time and go to games together. Fans like tradition

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This article cracks me up. We may try to put together a package to acquire Caremelo Anthony - or Morey could decide he's tired of being smart and trade an expiring contract and two promising young players on cheap rookie contracts for Vince Carter's expiring contract OR we could trade for the most over-paid player in the league. Because Morey loves to albatross contracts.

WTF? Quite possibly the dumbest article I've ever read.

4. Danbury

Danbury Member

Rashard Lewis = slow jump shooter with a nasty contract. No way Morey does that. Also, even with injuries, outside of getting under the luxury tax, I don't see any reason why the rockets would be dumping salary. The free agent market won't be like anything like it was this year in terms of talent. There is no incentive to open up a ton of cap space. Morey will hold onto his assets until a deal comes up that will actually help the Rockets. The author of this article doesn't have a clue.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Absolutely. It's all about the glamor, and Miami and NYC have more of it than Cleveland and Denver.

Hopefully the next CBA will have a franchise tag, so this sort of nonsense is put to rest.

6. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

If you take a look at the Magic's roster there are only a couple of players the Rockets could use...

Howard-Not going to happen. It would be something to see him playing the 4 next to Yao, but forget it.

Gortat-Would be ideal but we are not trading our compiled assets for a backup center. We are looking for much more. Don't be short sighted see the big picture.

Nelson-Nice player but we are set at pg.

Lewis-overpaid. Oh and overpaid. Did I mention he is overpaid?

Let them want Lee all they want. Unless there is a 3 team blockbuster trade they are not getting him. PERIOD!

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

This article is an example of a good writer but with zero basketball knowledge. He was able to present his ideas clearly and coherently, unfortunately his ideas are crap:

1. If the Rox need to dump salary, why will they trade Jeffries (whose deal is already expiring) and other assets for yet another expiring contract? :confused:

2. Rashard Lewis? Are you kidding me? He's the main reason Orlando sucks, they're paying him 20M a year and he scores like 8 pts a game and rebounds around 5. Add to that crappy D and the ability to consistently wilt under pressure and its a Hell No! That's guy's an even worse version of Juwon Howard, simply because Howard at least put up ridiculous numbers when he got his contract.

3. No to Melo. Geez that guy must be the 2nd most overrated player in the league (next to Amare). What is it about thugs that make people think they're so great? Is it the AI effect? For all of Melo's "smoothness" his stats are decidedly ordinary. His efficiency doesn't pop out like Bosh does, and unlike Bosh Melo's an average rebounder and definitely a sub-par defender. Color me surprised if DM goes after him, unless its for something dirt-cheap (like C-bud, Jeffries and Hill).

8. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

My email to Bill Ingram entitled, "Really?":

His reply:

It's been "discussed" by who? Billy Jim-Bob radio caller?? Yeah, I'll take this for what it's worth alright.

1 person likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Pietrus is nice but doesn't he make around mid-level money? If we give up more than just lee for him doesn't that mean you basically traded Ariza+filler for Pietrus?

Also Pietrus is already 28 years old. Far from an old geezer, but if you factor in age I'd much rather have Ariza if they're making the same salary.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Even if the Rockets want financial relief the scenario the author stated won't happen simply because both Jeffries is already an expiring contract. As other posters have already said, the only thing that would do is give Orlando good rookies for free. The only trade I can think of that gives us relief would be Martin for Carter, and I'll only do it if we can trade Yao to the Nets to play with Yi for Derrick Favors and start our rebuilding plans.

Denver
    incoming- Jeffries expiring contract, Pietrus,C-bud, Hill
    outgoing-Melo

Houston
    incoming-Melo
    outgoing-C-bud, Hill, Jeffries, Lee

Orlando
    incoming-Lee
    outgoing-Pietrus

We get Melo for just Ariza, C-bud and Hill. Orlando gets to shed some salary and get Lee. Denver gets cap relief in Jeffries, a stop-gap player in Pietrus and 2 nice project players in C-bud and Hill. Of course I didn't run it through the trade checker yet so we may have to add some filler to make it work (like Hayes or Battier).

Still, AB, Martin and Melo playing together? LOL goodluck at D. We can exchange Martin for Melo, however Martin is more efficient and makes half of what Melo does. On second thought, pass. Melo sucks.

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Bill Ingram is an idiot. Does he truly want Orlando to rape us that bad? None of his proposed deals make any sense for us. He is like a fan coming up with trades that absolutely favor one team over another.

Now, if Taylor is developing like Adleman says he is I wouldn't mind trading Lee/Jeffries to get them out of Gortat/Pietrus. They get rid of a bad contract while acquiring Lee and we get another big that's actually not that bad.

Vince Carter's old and useless expiring for our own expiring and best young prospects? Rashard Lewis humongous T-Mac like contract ineffective jump-shooting 3 so we are in cap hell and unable to acquire any serious players for years to come?

Come on Bill, don't let Orlando rape us like that. Thank God you are not our GM.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Houston gets: Danny Granger

Orlando gets: Courtney Lee

Pacers get : Marcin Gortat and Jared Jeffries
    NYK Pick, Trevor Ariza TE, Orlando 1st Rounder.

13. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

This article is just taking pieces to a puzzle and trying to fit them in.

There's two things for certain;

1) Rashard lewis will not come to Houston under such circumstances. He doesn't fit Morey's previous, current,and hopefully future work.

2) Any superstar or star available, we'll be after heavily.

We were moments away from having Amar'e, tried for Bosh, and I feel we'd try for Carmelo, too. I just wouldn't invest in Carmelo, looking at it out from the outside, he's going to New York.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Yeah, no.....

Indiana isn't trading granger anymore, you can kiss that one goodbye. The addition of Collison makes them another "star" piece away from being pretty damn good. A star piece and a touch of 2-3 role players, and they got a damn good team provided everyone develops on track.

Hibbert
    Star PF?
    Granger
    George
    Collison

Rush
    Role Playing Big
    Role Playing PG

Getting that star will be tough, awfully tough. Draft is their only option

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I'd do Lee for Pietrus.

or Battier for Pietrus..

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Have you watched Peitrus?

He plays like an idiot. Horrible shot selection and poor discipline, he's just a very, very good athlete. No way in hell I'd trade Battier for him, let alone Lee.

17. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

this article is about as ludicrous as some of the trade proposals posted in the random trade thread.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

True: Houston will be in the driver's seat come February.

False: We would want Vince Carter if our team sucked (trade expirings and prospects for another expiring?). We would want Rashard Lewis under any circumstances (did they buy him out and is he willing to sign here for the min?).

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

And actually, with the exception of Dwight Howard, EVERY single one of Orlando's players are overpaid. That's why their payroll is so goddam high. Morey has no incentive whatsoever to even consider including Orlando as the third team in a three-way trade, because they have no assets we would remotely want outside of Dwight unless Otis Smith is willing to go Walsh on us and offer up every other draft pick until the apocalypse.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I would CONSIDER Lee/JJ - Gortat + 2 #1s.