1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando Magic fired coach Jacque Vaughn

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Amel, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orlando Magic fired coach Jacque Vaughn, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/563389743371939841">February 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Assistant coach James Borrego is expected to be the Magic's interim coach, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/563390400560660481">February 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Magic also have fired assistants Wes Unseld Jr., Brett Gunning and Zack Guthrie.</p>&mdash; Brian K. Schmitz (@MagicInsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/MagicInsider/status/563394975312781313">February 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

#1 Amel, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Kind of embarrassing that we've known for a week or two that he was walking dead. Never should have been put in that situation.

3. Progs

Progs Member

The Magic Fans referred to him as 'Joke' Vaughn.

4. what

what Member

What were they expecting? Hell, to me, the magic were playing ABOVE their heads, not below it.

I don't get why teams always expecting instant results.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

maybe we'll be able to beat them now

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not been following the Magic but was his last win as Magic coach against the Rockets?

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Real chance Orlando makes move for a new head coach during extended All-Star break, and Scott Skiles is a prominent candidate.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/563396137173143552">February 5, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Maybe they think Thibs is gonna get fired in Chicago and will jump on that?

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

JB Bickerstaff will be next year's Magic head coach.

10. NotChandlerParsons

Scott Skiles would be an awful, awful choice for them so I hope they go through with it.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, my thoughts exactly!

12. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Clutch Fans, this is when you fire a coach. Not when he misses a call or doesn't let Harden play 48 minutes a night or takes a play or two to adjust to a new defensive scheme.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They will wait until the summer and have plenty of choices.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

"I'm not going to get into specifics about anything relative to a coaching situation other than the fact that JB is our coach."-- Hennigan

------------------------

Almost nailed it!

LOL

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Is MDA out of the question?

16. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

no they were not.. He's a terrible terrible coach.. He's been coach for what 3 years now? I don't know what you mean by instant results..Magic are a very raw but talented team.. Jason Kidd has done more with less in half a year

17. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Magic aren't going anywhere fast. They should take their time and find a good coach. Jumping the gun & hiring someone by the all star break is a bad move, IMO.

18. what

what Member

The biggest thing for me is: are their young players getting better? And to me they were. Only the front office and the coach can tell you if they are grasping his concepts.

As far as I know, Vaughn's only crime here was that they weren't winning enough.

The other thing I'll say is that there is really NOT much mystery about what are good, sound concepts in the nba. THIS IS WHAT VAUGHAN should be judged on. Meaning does he teach them. And are the players TRYING to learn them.

If Vaughn is teaching these things, and you as an organization, agree with them, then you should continue to let him do this and not fire him.

If However, Vaughn was making serious errors in judgment, then I can understand him being fired. But he should not be fired BECAUSE OF HIS RECORD.

The other thing is: if vaughn was NOT a professional and was NOT a good teacher, shouldn't the magic as an organization have learned this about him BEFORE now.

That is why this firing puzzles me. It seems to be entirely based on his record as a coach.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

So what do you guys think? Was this a good time to fire him?

Or would you consider this premature eJacqueulation?

20. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I've watched sixers play and I could tell you there coach is way better than vaughn and there record is worst. Vaughn didn't get fired solely based on his record I would say that was 20% of it. The dude is literally clueless on how to manage a team and I believe was stunting the growth of the players. And with such a young team to mold it was the right move. This was vaughn first head coaching gig so a lot of things you HOPE he is based on the vetting process you let play out but he's in his 3rd and there wasn't any promise he was worth keeping around.