1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando could be a destination spot for Arenas in the near future...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by StacyMcGrady3, Jan 16, 2010.

1. StacyMcGrady3

StacyMcGrady3 Rookie

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12350/arenas-next-team-keep-an-eye-on-orlando

It is appearing unlikely that Gilbert Arenas will ever play for the Wizards again, leading many to speculate on where he could possibly land.

Sources told ESPN.com that Magic general manager Otis Smith, who was part of Golden State’s brain trust when the Warriors drafted Arenas in 2001, continues to be one of Arenas’ closest confidantes in the league.

Sources say it’s a virtual certainty that Arenas will lobby Smith to be the GM who gives Arenas a second chance, largely based on the strength of that friendship.

Via ESPN

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

what do these general managers think when they give players such enormous contracts? do they not think one bit into the future?

arenas...r. lewis..makes me mad.

3. baller4life315

If he gets bought out this type of signing is a no-brainer. Absolutely and unequivocally a steal and worth the inherent risk involved. He may not be as good as he used to be, but he's light years better than Nelson or anybody else the Magic currently have.

4. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Arenas haters probably don't care about the game of basketball.. must be just fantasy bball geeks... oh wait he was top 5 a few years ago? oh snap... i guess they just have no lives.

5. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Yep, because the Magic need more inefficient streaky 3 point shooters.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think he's what the Magic need, especially this season. They need better team chemistry, not talent. Gilbert doesn't help them at all and would only be a giant distraction for a team that needs to do the opposite, focus.

The Magic should either remove a player from the equation (maybe VC) or add a PG that can get their offense working and toughen up their "now we see it, now we don't" defensive intensity.

I think most of you know I am anything but a Gilbert hater.

7. durvasa

durvasa Member

What do you think about Arenas being added to the Rockets if we cut enough salary in a trade to get under the LT and he's somehow allowed to play this year?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think he would also be a huge distraction here. I don't know how it will play out, but Gilbert might need to chill the rest of this season. Adding a freshly-minted felon may not be a good idea for any team. The smell needs to die down. I'm not sure any locker room would welcome the guy so quickly.

9. baller4life315

Well, we both know as far as this season goes he's done. If Washington is able to get his contract voided (best case) or reaches a buyout (unlikely) resulting in him becoming a FA, I see no reason why a team like Orlando wouldn't strongly consider a move like this after the dust settles.

I know you're a Gilbert fan so it goes without saying that: (1) Yeah, he did something really stupid -and- (2) Outside of this incomprehensible incident he has a clean record. Basically, he screwed up but he's far from your typical boneheaded professional athlete. Sure, he's a goofy character but he's always been fanatical about basketball, achieving on-court success and the like. Teams know this. His radioactivity will diminish drastically in the coming months, IMO.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed he will find a team next season. I suppose if the Magic got rid of VC, Gilbert might fit there. Don't know if he can co-exist with SVG.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Arenas strikes me as knucklehead. Maybe not your typical knucklehead, but a knucklehead all the same.

I've never bought his zero to hero schtick. While there is truth to it, most players that have made that kind of ascension form a sense of humility in the process.

They don't go around referring to themselves in the 3rd person.

I've never been a fan of Arenas and I don't think I ever will be. It's all about Gilbert all the time.

He'd be an obvious talent upgrade but I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Rockets.

12. meh

meh Member

So is it basically a done deal that the Wizards can get out of Arenas' albatross contract?

As for going somewhere, I have the same feeling on Arenas as any other has-been star with a lot of baggage. If the guy has enough game, you sign him. In the end, fans will forgive and forget everything when you produce. You just have to produce.

13. Obito

Obito Member

Why?

Last time I checked their point guard is pretty good.. cough*Jameer Nelson*cough

If he's going anywhere it'll be Dallas.

14. RocketMania1991

Uh Arenas>>>>>> Nelson by far...

Dallas why would he go there ?

Jason Kidd has and JJ Barea has been finefor them so far.

15. Obito

Obito Member

Arenas is better than Nelson? Thanks for the laugh.

Arenas hasn't been good since the 06-07 season. Nelson was a all-star last year.

Jason Kidd is 36, he can't play forever.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't like the phrase "giving Arenas a second chance". The guy didn't do anything that bad. Just stupid... quirky. If he didn't have that contract he wouldn't be in jeopardy of being bought out. I don't think a team in the league considers him a thug. He isn't Pacman Jones. If Orlando wants him they will have to fight off several other hungry teams, ones that can offer Arenas a larger role.

17. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

LOL at Orlando even considering this...Dwight would never see the ball between Arenas, Carter, Nelson, and their other trigger happy perimeter players.

18. RocketMania1991

Wow Nelson was an allstar...who cares.

He still hasn't proven he has fully recovered from his injury.

If they can get Arenas for cheap why not.....you get a legitimate all-star who is able to score when needed and be a decent passer.'

He is better in every category than Jameer.

If you can get Arenas for a low risk signing then why not.....
    He can help any team out there in one way or another.

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Stan Van + Agent 0 = Disaster