1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Opposing Commentators on Chase Budinger...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Naija Texan, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Anyone else tired of hearing opposing city's commentators always trying to get knocks on Chase by mentioning he played volleyball?

I mean, the kid was Co-MVP of the McDonald's High School All-American Game along with Kevin Durant and played college ball for 3 years, but they all seem to love calling him a volleyball player. It is just getting tiring hearing it in what seems like EVERY game.

1 person likes this.
  2. blackistan

blackistan Member

It comes with the territory I think especially the race factor

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Wasn't Wilt Chamberlain also a volleyball player? Nothing wrong with volleyball.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Don't worry, in 2 years those snide comments will be "Wow! Can you believe that guy almost played volleyball instead of bball in college? What a great career mistake that would have been!"

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Damn it's not like they are saying he moonlights as a fluffer for gay adult films, it's just one of those factoids commentators like to say about players inbetween action.

How many times in Hakeem's career did commentators reminded the viewers that he played soccer in Nigeria?

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

So I don't get it... your mad that they are saying he is good at two sports? :confused:

7. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I know!

They should talk about his hair instead...

/Sarcasm, commentators have to talk about something

8. Mr. Space City

eh calvin murphy was a baton twirler but still a hell of a basketball player

f them

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Albinos get a bad rap everywhere.

1 person likes this.
  10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That's not what he's trying to say.

What he's trying to say (I think) is the commentators are knocking/making fun of Chase for playing volleyball.

11. Hippieloser

Baton twirling happens to increase your dexterity:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uXK8n1tI69Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uXK8n1tI69Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

After all, he was the number one volleyball prospect in the country and the number three SF (according to Scout)

13. PeppermintCandy

It didn't sound like they meant it in the negative. IIRC they mentioned it in connection to his athleticism and leaping ability, so it doesn't bother me.

14. Scarface281

If that was the case, then what's the need for this thread? LOL.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Pretty much, I am just asking if anyone else wishes they would come up with some new material. A lot of local commentators speak like failed stand up comics, I get and tolerate that but when they steal the same material from other failed comics, it is just annoying.

16. Scarface281

What are you talking about? Clyde is a professional comedian.

:p

17. Hippieloser

Borderline all-star, if you ask me.

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I think commentators from each team meet beforehand and share little tidbits to mention and things to look out for. So you can blame our own commentators for disseminating this information.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If I had a buck for every time the soccer thing was brought up, I could buy something groovy. What drives me nuts about the Spurs broadcast team, besides their off the charts homerism, is just how god-awful Sean Elliot is at it. Man, I'd take Clyde over him any day. That's a pretty damning thing to say!

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

No I think he's making a mountain out of a molehill.