1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinions : Should we trade for Alvin Williams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rsl5181, Dec 5, 2002.

1. rsl5181

rsl5181 Member

opinions

since ridiculous trade possibilities that would never happen seem to be really popular on this bbs, i thought id propose one myself. i dont know if the salaries would work out since i didnt check them, but im thinking its pretty close. anyway, how about kenny thomas and moochie norris (assuming he keeps his play up for some time) for alvin williams. the raptors need some defense, rebounding, and interior scoring. we could start williams at the point and move francis to the 2. on defense, they could switch like they do in philly. im pretty sure williams is a solid defender right? that way, mobley could come off the bench, and we could get rid of kenny. im also for trying the ming, cato combo up front, but i dont think rudy is ever going to try it.

so guys, opinions?

ps: if trade threads annoy you, you can kiss my a$$. calm down and worry about more important things.

2. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

What do you mean the Raptors need rebounding they have plenty of capable forwards who grab boards, and vince can grab 7 a game.

Stop Posting.

3. rsl5181

rsl5181 Member

another favorite on the bbs: the guy who tells people to shutup when he thinks hes making a valid point. when vince isnt injured, hes averaging 7 rebounds every 2 games. in other words, our point guard is averaging almost twice as many rebounds per game as carter. i dont know if thats strong rebounding. i wouldnt exactly call michael bradley, jelani mccoy, and greg foster mosters on the boards. none of them really have any low post skills, either. though thomas doesnt really, either, teams around the league think he does. you stand corrected.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I hope you don't mind, but I changed the title of your thread from "opinions" to "Opinions : Should we trade for Alvin Williams?" That way people don't have to go into the thread if they don't want to. Descriptive titles are always a good thing. In this case it also helps people know that this is a trade thread that they can avoid and also avoid kissing your ass at the same time.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Why do you keep writing that? Nobody cares what you think. You havent been around this message board enough to have the authority to make comments like that.

6. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Member

Just to add a little beef of my own with that comment, nobody has the authority to tell people to stop posting on this board unless they own or operate it.

7. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

Steve Francis will never play the 2.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

He's played the 2 this year. Most recently, 4th quarter of the game against the Spurs.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Francis already plays the two for several minutes during games. We'll see what happens when Mobley gets back.

10. rsl5181

rsl5181 Member

i dont see why you think francis wouldnt play the 2. i think hed much rather play the 2. aside from that, though, what are your thoughts on the trade? gregonomics, any response?

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

For what it's worth....Alvin Williams is an incredibly underrated player, a complete team player, and would be the perfect complement to Francis should it ever come to pass that he undergoes the Iverson Switch...

However, 3 other points...

1) The Raptors love Williams, and recognize his value...Moreover, the proposed trade would nowhere near meet their ( or indeed my) idea of equal trade value.

2) I do not think that the answer to what ails this team is to switch Francis' role, just to change his style and complementary players a bit.

3) I think that pre-emptive invitations to kiss your ass is just about the worst way to get your point across, and unworthy of this site...I also think that telling someone else to stop posting is pretty much on the same ESPN message board level.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you believe what "they" say, Francis has wanted to play the point since he was drafted. It was one of the reasons he supposedly wanted to leave Vancouver. He wasn't going to be 2nd string to Bibby and wasn't going to be a SG.

13. Hiroshikun

Hiroshikun Member

Wasn't Al supposed to be Cat's mate?
    It wouldn't be bad idea on personal basis?

Nevertheless, I still hate the idea of rotating 3small guards.

14. xiki

xiki Member

Alvin is one of the 'most improved' in the Association. And the Raps give him up?

Mooch is finally making like a baller. And the Rox give him up?

What's up with that?

15. MManal

MManal Member

Getting Alvin Williams is going to require a whole lot more than KT and Mooch. Its really wierd b/c different people you talk to have very different opinions on the guy. Some feel he is a very solid PG that keeps improving his game while others feel he is worse than Moochie Norris or something to that affect. Most analysts on NBA TV and other such situations do speak positively about Williams contributions, though.

To look at this in statiscal terms.... Alvin Williams has been better than a 3 to 1 Assist to TO ratio EACH of his last three seasons in Toronto. This season, he is performing exceptionally well in that category with a 4 to 1 Assist to TO ratio. Also, Alvin's FG pct and 3 pt pct have gone up a HUGE amount this yr. Williams is probably one of the more improved players in the game. In addition, Williams has the height at 6-5 that teams love in their PGs and is a very solid defensive player that can defend 1s and 2s. Thus, I dont think the Raptors will give him away for a package of Mooch and Kenny.

16. percicles

percicles Member

Getting a big guard that can handle the point on offense isn't such a bad idea. Williams is nice, snow woould be nice, and LAC
    Marko Jaric is also a possibility. However, how much we give up to obtain these gaurds seems to be the main question.

MoT, KT, Moochie, are without a doubt tradeable.
    Cato.... As a Backup he is effective.

Now would anyone take our tradeable commodities.

17. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Member

Lol why in the hell would Vancover draft a backup pg? To feel there needs? That is a ridiculous reason and a huge assumption to why he was traded from Grizzlies.

18. Elvis Costello

Jack, Francis' unwillingness to play 2 guard *was* one of the reasons he didn't want to play in Vancouver. This is a consistent theme with Francis. He was adamant about not wanting Jay Williams brought in this year, as well.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's the point... he wasn't going to be a backup PG and he didn't want to play SG. That's allegedly why he forced the trade.

20. 3Rings

3Rings Member

Alvin Williams is not a true PG. He has problems feeding the post (YAO) and does not have good court awareness.

He's a SG in a PG body!