1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OPINION SURVEY] Best PF Upgrades & Expectations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 27, 2012.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Because most championship teams have had a really good post up player. The Heat of last year are probably the only recent exception. Mavs had Dirk, Lakers had Pau/Shaq, Spurs had Duncan, Pistons had Sheed, and the Bulls had Jordan. It always helps to have a lost post threat to slow things down when the game is getting away from you or your team isn't hitting shots.

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't understand this logic....if the defender is relatively the same height, why would it be harder to for the defender the close out on him. If the shooter is a good 6" taller then yeah I can understand the defender having to play closer up on his man, but even undersized PF's aren't at that much of a disadvantage.

If the PF's are within 6" of height, you'd still need to have the shooter out beyond 15' to really spread the floor for two driving guards like Harden/Lin.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Minnesota aren't going to trade him until keeping him becomes untenable, and even then they might just let him go FA.

As for him stepping on Scola's face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whUORuZwPQE

And yes, I can't help but laugh when i see that.

4. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Dirk doesn't have a traditional post game with that fade, but also has the long range capability. Sheed was not always a willing post player and he can shoot the 3s. Shaq and Duncan, well, they are two of the greatest big men ever to play the game with dominant post plays in the beginning of their respective career. I don't see any of the sought-after, young PFs in that category, with Cousins being the worst among the Love-LMA-Cousins trios in terms of PPP this season, and if I'm not mistaken, last season also. Guys like Monroe are more efficient doing cuts and P&R rolling to the basket than posting up inside.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not saying anybody we get has to be a great post up player but it is nice to have the option. All of the guys I listed could have the ball thrown to them in the block when the team was really struggling for a basket. I think we need somebody that can do that.

6. breakmon

breakmon Member

Steve Novak would be a great stretch 4 in my opinion. Great shooter, thrived under Linsanity. Great fit for this roster.

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Not sure if trolling or clueless Lin fan.

8. trowa2

trowa2 Member

novak a great player off the bench, but not a starter material

9. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

????????????:rolleyes:

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I agree with this. Don't dismiss Novak because he looks goofy and is paler than paper. He plays decent position D and boxes out, is team-oriented, and offensively is the best shooter in the NBA (to quote Charles Barkley). He is like a taller, far more accurate Delfino that doesn't try to play PG (which always makes me want to chuck a brick at the tv).

This would require out-of-the-box thinking, as this has never really been tried before on a contending team. I'd be curious to give it a shot. At worst, he'd be great coming off the bench.

11. trowa2

trowa2 Member

i disagree with the part where he plays decent D and boxes out. he is good at neither of them.

12. trowa2

trowa2 Member

i'm curious, is chandler parsons too small for pf?

13. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agree that he is overall bad on D. In other words, about a grade D. But his offense is an A (shooting and unselfishness btw is A++). And we've seen lots of players make lots of money play very little D.

Imagine a Greg Smith/Novak duo at the 4, depending on matchups, until Smith becomes a star (if he keeps working hard, improving, and stays healthy) or we acquire a star at the 4 (or someone like DMot becomes one). The Smith/Novak change of pace would be outstanding. It is sometimes worse to have someone who is capable of playing D but doesn't. At least with Novak, you would know that you need to help.

14. Glide#22

Glide#22 Member

Minnesota could chose 2 players between Patterson, Morris, Jones and Motiejunas.
    Or one more a draft pick.

15. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

2Pat had a great game today and morris has been playing great. Both are showing they are great at stretching the floor and can improve their rebounding. Unless we can get great value for 2pat or morris I wouldnt mind seeing us staying pat at pf this offseason and let our players develop instead of signing an above average but not elite player in millsap or smith.

16. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'd agree....unless we get good value there's no hurry to make a move. Let the youngins develop and see what we get. If an opportunity comes up, we might have chips we need with some of these guys

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because a 6'10" powerforward can't move fast enough to close out on a shooter like a guard can on a perimeter player.

Honestly it probably doesn't matter. More important is that they have a good shot.

But it seems that PP is doing a decent job filling the mid-range shooter spot.

18. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

then it's easy... LBJ :rolleyes:

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed on all fronts, leeb.

Anderson is a guy that definitely comes to mind when you think underrated PF's that put up a lot of points + rebounds and are on manageable contracts. Unfortunately, he doesn't draw fouls at all or defend well enough to REALLY help us.

I'm a proponent of continuing to shuffle the PF rotation around until something sticks. Clearly, it's our weakest position from a production standpoint. Lord knows, we have two high upside players to go along with Morris/Patterson. Unless a trade comes along to clear things up, I see no reason why Jones/Donuts shouldn't be given a chance to see what they can do.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'm still a huge supporter of Paul Millsap in free agency.