1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opinion Needed: Splitting Rent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mnkyman, May 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

So I just wanted to get some opinions on this.

Next Year I'll be a Junior at UT and have decided to live with 2 good friends (they are twins). For financial reasons, they want to split a bedroom, so we would rent a 2/2 and we would split the bill down the middle (I pay half and they together would pay half). Some places that we have looked at have 1 larger bedroom and a slightly smaller bedroom, I don't mind taking the smaller one (seeing as how the size difference isn't much), however, most places have a separate bathroom for the larger bedroom while the smaller bedroom has the bathroom that opens to the main apartment. I'm a little OCD, so having my own restroom would be great, but still not a deal breaker. Finally, the apartment comes with 2 parking spots and we each have a car...to purchase a third spot would cost $75/month and when we looked at the apartment, the realtor said "most people just split it 3 ways". (and just for the record, we already agreed we would split water/electric 3 ways)

Now this is my question, would I be in the wrong thinking that a parking spot comes with a bedroom? In other words, I shouldn't have to pay for that 3rd parking spot? I mean, I'm already taking the smaller bedroom with the "open" bathroom and paying the same price they are. That's what i'm thinking...and I'll probably bring it up next time I see them, but just wanted to see what other peoples opinion is on this...

Also, just wondering, has anyone else lived with 2+ people who are related (ie: they are twins/brothers)? Did you ever have any problems with splitting costs like food or parking lol?

Just a couple of the loose ends I need to get figured out before signing the lease...

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

Didn't read through the entire post, but when I split a 2/2 with 3 people, one person took the smaller room and the other two split the larger. The guy living by himself paid 40% of the rent while the other two paid 30% each.

3. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

the size difference is only 1-2 feet, so it's not that much of a difference to warrant a 10% rent difference, but I see were ya getting at

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Agreed. Its not fair for you to take half the responsibility, get the smaller room, not to mention the third person adds to the utilities.

5. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

Very strange, 2 of my friends from high school are identical twins. Back in college ('95), I shared a 2/2 with them off of Oltorf. Very similar arrangement, sans the parking spots.

There were definitely some issues with bills, food, etc., and I always felt like an outsider. I remember one time, they tried to charge me extra on the light bill for having a 75 watt bulb in the closet. They said it should be a 40 watt max lol.

I think I lasted about 6 months, and had to bail.

6. JaWindex

JaWindex Member

You should definitely get a parking spot - those guys are already getting a much better deal than you.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Next Year I'll be a Junior at UT and have decided to live with 2 good friends (they are twins).
    ______

This is your first mistake.

8. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

oh man that's not good to hear :( . Ya they are pretty good friends, not high school friends (living with high school friends never worked out for me either). I already know i'm pretty much going to lose every argument (just regarding discussions, not necessarily rent/apartment related) because they agree with each other on almost everything...so I'm outnumbered right off the bad 2 to 1. What type of issues did you have regarding the bills and food?

Bills we have already said we would split 3 ways...only thing I foresee being a problem is food. I'm bigger and have about 60 pounds on them, but they go through food like water...they are always hungry lol...splitting food might be an option, but it somewhat complicates things

9. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

lol, care to elaborate (besides the obvious that they agree with each other on everything)

10. Fatty FatBastard

My brother and I lived with a friend in college. That wasn't a problem at all. That said, just find a place with three bedrooms in yall's price range and split three ways.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a fallout

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I would assume the extra parking spot is split 3 ways, since you are all agreeing to live together and each of you has a rightful claim to a parking spot.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

i do believe you should be entitled to one of the spots

while you dont have to share your room or your bathroom you are paying twice as much as they are for rent

also while you dont share your bathroom if it opens out to the main area of the apt then I can guarantee you that your bathroom will be used more often by guests and all. that can be worse at times than sharing with just one person in a private room.

utilities split 3 ways sounds fine

but if you are paying all the extra then you should be entitled to a parking spot IMO.

if they are twins they should have no issues sharing a spot

14. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

They were nitpicky about bills (the bulb incident) - and you couldn't really argue, as they had numbers.

Food was a pain in the ass, because they would want us all to pitch in for groceries, and I always declined to participate, as I never really ate at home back then (I was waiting tables, thus got to eat 1/2 price). This kind of irked them, so they would always try to collect money for food I never ate.

Their redeeming quality was the fact that they had good connections and brought lots of chicks home...

15. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Don't ever, under any circumstances split groceries!

This may seem like an obvious statement, but sometimes it just feels easier to split the end bill 3 ways, and get food everyone likes. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT fall into this trap.

I did it with my UT roommates last year. You might save a little money, but in the end it is negated by feelings of, "Damn, he just ate those chicken fingers that I planned on eating for dinner. I can't really complain, though, as he owns them just as much as I do."

This year my roommate and I still go to the grocery store together, but take separate carts and each get what we want. It makes life so much easier.

16. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Rent: Split 40/30/30. Alternate way as follows...one of my friends was in the same situation and wanted to calculate the rent based on square footage. (.33*Common areas + own bedroom)/(Total apt sq ft.) = share of rent. Kind of picky if you ask me.

Food: Buy your own. Makes life easy.

Parking: Split it 3 ways. Although I feel you should be entitled to one of the two original spots as you are paying for own bedroom.

#16 thelasik, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
  17. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

I'll echo the food suggestions here, but I would switch off between everybody to buy the common stuff like Milk, OJ, bread, butter etc.

18. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

threes a crowd

19. JeeberD

JeeberD Member

DEFINITELY don't split the grocery bill. Buy your own food and keep it separate. Have your own shelf in the pantry/fridge/etc. It'll keep life simple and resentment down...

1 person likes this.
  20. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

thanks for all the input guys. Ya I talked with them and they are going to cover the third spot. Rent will still stay 50/50...I'm fine with that...looking at the floorplan the rooms+closet are the same size, its just that the smaller bedroom has a walk in closet and the bigger one has the closet going across the back wall, so that room is a foot longer (which they need to be able to fit two full beds in there). The private bath, although nice, isn't a deal breaker. According to the floor plan, "my" bathroom has a door that opens into the bedroom and one that opens into the main apartment (although I don't remember this from the tour lol) so I could just close the outer door and make it a pseudo private bathroom.

We also agreed that we would split general food items (milk,bread,etc...) 3 ways and that if anyone wanted to buy something else, they would just mark it as theirs.