1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Operation Empire State Rebellion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thadeus, Jun 11, 2011.

1. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XySGw-g2tyk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think this is brilliant. I don't know if many people will show up for the events, but Anonymous has proven to have some skills to carry out their ends.

I won't be anywhere near a place that's going to have activity, but I will be donating to the cause.

2. thadeus

Wow, this thread sank.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Shows how lazy us Americans are. Rebel? Nah, let the kids do it.

I think most believe another puppet will just be put in place, so what's the point?

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

never start a revolution thread on a Saturday night, dude.

2 people like this.
  5. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish these guys good luck, I already keep my money in a bank that isn't one of 6 largest, but I am not fully sure what there goal is. Will taking individual deposits out of the B of A and etc. really cause that much of a problem for them?

The solution to me is to fund and campaign for candidates that will push reform and accountability of banks and vote out office holders who don't.

7. thadeus

Their initial goal is to force Ben Bernake to resign, but you can see that their ultimate plans go well beyond that. As a side note, this movement seems to be increasingly gathering momentum as the days pass - but don't expect to see it covered on any major news networks.

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So the great solution by these lovers of freedom and fighters against the system....... is a bank run.

This is going to end well.:rolleyes:

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It will if you get your money out of the banks. Luckily I have mine in a credit union.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You really do know a lot about nothing.

1 person likes this.
  11. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Actually, pulling your money out of banks will necessitate the actual printing of money to shore up bank reserves which will bring about inflation. For now, the 'inflation' thats going on is just adding changing the numbers in an account on a computer.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

People with large enough accounts to make an impact probably have too many auto-payments set up to be able to do this.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I probably know even less than that. :grin:

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If I want to take this seriously... (and part of me does, as both parties have totally failed us, in my view, and politicians are owned)... how can I get past wondering if the monied few actually made this.

I have had to accept that by accident of birth and educational focus, I will never understand the complex world of global financiers. So maybe they hate Bernake now and are starting this much like the Kochs (or whomever) got the "tea party" going.

I think we're going to get suckered no matter what. The only solution I see is... well, I'm not going to go there.

15. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Exactly. The elephant in the room.

I'm just curious (hopeful?) if there is a society-threshold that no amount of manipulation from the top can prevent from happening after a certain point (i.e. pitting middle class Americans against one another on seemingly ideological divides when in fact it's old school class warfare in the 21st century).

I, for one, have lost much faith in the last few years about anything 'revolutionary' happening anymore. People in this country are either too ignorant, divided, tired, busy, afraid, or wanting to join those at the top that maintain the status quo to ever do anything groundbreaking like the French Revolution.

16. Major

Major Member

Exactly right. They blame the banks for the mess, which is reasonable though it ignores the fact that they willfully were buying those overpriced homes that they wouldn't be able to afford if the economy ever went south.

And their solution is just to try to force the banks under again, which would only repeat the process. The cause of the crisis was banks lending too much; now people complain that they are lending too little. I'm not sure what people think the solution should be.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

It's anon/the internet.

Bank runs never work nowadays.

Theoretically, however, due to the fractional reserve system, if you did get enough people to draw on the pithy small amounts of paper money that are printed up for the ridiculous amount of ever-expanding virtual money, then yes, you could trigger a failure in the banking system. We're talking millions if not billions of dollars though.

Far more likely to trigger a financial failing in the system is to teach people how to use credit cards responsibly, and to take on loans only when truly necessary, or a wave of purposeful defaults on student debt/house debt/credit debt.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Part of the solution is people getting their money out of the big banks. It builds competition and helps get rid of the too big to fail syndrome.

19. Major

Major Member

No one is forced to use big banks though - there is already free market competition with banks. People choose the big banks (or the banks got big in the first place) because those banks tend to provide services that more people want. You don't build competition by artificially asking people to pick the lesser service.

20. Major

Major Member

Agreed - it's unlikely, but certainly possible. What these people don't realize is that if they do that, it's main street (ie, the people doing it) that will be hurt.