1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Opera 11 rules your dingy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Landlord Landry, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I have 6 gb and I still notice a boost in speed. It's not just its memory efficiency, it's also in how it pulls up common files like images that makes it fast. Right now I'm on the U of A internet and there is a considerable difference between load times using Chrome, ie9 and Opera. It is lightening fast for some pages. Anything image/flash heavy like failblog loads considerably faster. I am shocked, I honestly thought the internet couldn't be faster, all the while my PC was throttling down the connection because it couldn't process data fast enough.

2. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I dunno. I can never really tell the difference between fast and faster nowadays. I'll give it a shot but I'm happy with Chrome right now.

3. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I couldn't see the difference between my latest Firefox and Opera11. Maybe I have a fast CPU and a pretty clean system so this might only affect people with a slower systems.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Ok, I switched to this after seeing this thread. THANK YOU, because it runs about 100x better on my computer than Firefox or Chrome.

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Google Chrome is fast.

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Dang this is fast. Thanks for the rec.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Interesting i've never tried it before, but it is working pretty well. Where are all the apps for it like adblock/ etc.?

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

good tip

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

At work there's some sloooow old low memory comps I've used as stand-ins when my main comp's been down. Opera by FAR operated the best on those for no frills web browsing

I just turned on another slow workstation comp and Opera auto-updated itself. I thought oh no here comes a resource heavy headache, but it ran quick. I'd use it as my main WORK browser, but the company uses web apps specific to IE where I can't.

At home its still Firefox even with its sluggishness. I've NEVER gotten Google Chrome to work at home, it just doesnt connect to the internet after its installed

10. trustme

trustme Member

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

i love opera, it's my main browser. chrome can go suck it, it's the biggest memory hog i've ever seen.

the only downside to opera is that there are a bunch of firefox extensions that i can't use, and greasemonkey doesn't work.

12. jaykay

jaykay Member

While I have been a Firefox user for the past 5 years and continue to be one with my laptop, I've been turning to Chrome and now Opera 11 for web browsing on my netbook (firefox runs ridiculously slow on the netbook).

I've been running Opera 11 for the past 2 days and have really tried to like it and wanted to adopt it as my new default browser on the netbook because it runs so incredibly quick, but a few problems have brought me back to Chrome as my default browser. A minor problem I have with Opera 11 is that it doesn't properly display the lay out of a few of the forums I frequent. I can make do with that to some extent because the speed of the browser would make it worthwhile for me. The major problem I have with Opera 11 is pages scroll abnormally fast on that browser. When I scroll down a webpage on Firefox or Chrome on my netbook, the speed of the scroll feels very normal and controlled. However, when I try to scroll the same way in Opera 11, the scroll speed is ridiculously fast and very difficult to control where I want to scroll to. I've tried lowering my scroll sensitivity through windows/my touchpad driver software and it slows down my scrolling capabilities in Office/Firefox/Chrome equally, but Opera remains extremely quick and almost uncontrolable.

I've googled the issue and it seems that there is a driver issue with the ELAN smart pad driver that my netbook uses and Opera. I personally don't feel I should fault Asus or Opera for this problem, because both run very well in any other case...just not with each other. All in all, I really Opera 11, but will have to stick to Chrome on my netbook. I really do recommend people give Opera 11 a try. It may or may not be your cup of tea, but it won't hurt to give it a shot. Had my netbook not had compatibility issues with Opera 11, I'd be running it as my default web browser. :cool:

1 person likes this.