1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Opening a bar

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pacman0590, Jan 27, 2014.

1. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Really cautiously looking into opening a pub with a buddy, cautiously because of the huge risk, and the insane amount of logistics that comes with running a bar.. Luckily my folks have successfully run some bars in west Houston since I can remember, so I have good experience and will have good counsel..

While improbable in our first business, a dream sketch of what our place would look like this:

A neighborhood bar that isn't too far from the craziness (midtown/washington)
    Rustic, Clean 90s grungey
    Small dog park (fenced area w/ picnic tables, dogs encouraged, Free treats)
    Foozball a must, but hopefully Arcade games, and billiards as well.
    No jukebox (people suck too much at picking music)
    Great music-from 90's one hit wonders to trendy adult alternative
    dark, but not dark enough to seem suspicious..
    emphasis on Texas booze and Craft beer..
    Most importantly a hall way of houston sports memorabilia

What would your perfect bar look like, what you'd do different and where you'd put it. I want to hear ideas i've never thought of.. Id prefer Realistic ones of course.

Thanks CF you're the best

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Get rid of the dog park idea, wasted space and people would only bring their dogs on say weekends and during the day only, not enough foot traffic with dogs and the dog idea could actually turn people off. + if you go with that idea don't give away free treats, your not a charity

1 person likes this.
  4. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Step 1: Get CSN
    Step 2: Profit

5. AkeemTheDreem86

Instead of no juke, try just putting in a normal, non-internet juke and hand picking the CDs yourself. You can even make mixes instead of full albums if you really want. That way you can control your idea of quality while still giving people some choice.

1 person likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

just don't let any underage ****s come in.

7. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Name it Puzzles.

8. AkeemTheDreem86

Unless they fine.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That space opposite Kung Fu on Washington is available to rent. It used to be V21. It failed, the owner turned it into The Chopping Block (Gourmet Burgers), then failed again. Figure the rent will be between $7,000 and $10,000....not really sure how big that place is. I've thought of opening a bar myself, but noticed that very few bars get volume outside of Thursday nights through Saturday nights.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

INB4 OP calls Jon Taffer.

2 people like this.
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I would be wary of a place that has failed multiple times.

Midtown is the best place right now. Washington seems to by dying down. Anyone been to The Gaslamp or Proof? I'm behind in the scene.

12. BonziWellsGOAT

It'll only work if you play ChardeeMcDennis on the regular

or....

[​IMG]

13. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

op may want to get some input also from stack24. dude ran a pretty badarse place called "live" downtown some years back.

14. SexyButIgnorant

Obviously, name it something very trendy, like "#bar" or "dat bar doe".

1 person likes this.
  15. dragician

dragician Member

make it officially clutchfans bar ;)

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've done the architecture for several bars and am currently working on a wine bar in suburban Indianapolis.

When you talk about "Rustic, Clean grungey 90's" what exactly do those terms mean? "Clean" and "Rustic" don't necessarily go together unless you are talking about Shaker furniture which wouldn't go with "Grungy" or "90's" I don't know if you are working with an architect yet or interior designer but make sure you work closely with them to make sure the look and imagery is what you want. A good way to work with a designer is through sensing images those are pics showing what you have in mind and help to provide a visual communication between you and your designer. For example if someone were asking me about clean rustic design I would show them something like this:
    [​IMG] and see if that was what they were thinking of.

Another thing that helps to communicate what you have in mind is by referring to other bars or restaurants that you like or have elements that you would like to see in your own place.

One big caution to keep in mind with things like a bar and a restaurant is know your market and be careful about just making it about just what you like. Keep in mind you are making a business and not a place for you and your buddies to hang out.

There's a whole lot of other technical issues to consider but I won't bore clutchfans by talking about ADA and NSF standards. Since your parents have run bars they probably know that stuff. That said I've seen successful business get tripped up by code and other technical issues.

Good luck and if you have any general questions I will try to give my feedback

1 person likes this.
  17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

dogs in a bar? Hell no. bad idea. other people's dogs are annoying as hell

18. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Puzzles is a place where people go...

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously. I live in Austin and, over the past few years, it's somehow become acceptable to bring your dog everywhere you go. I love dogs, but they have their place. That place is generally not bars, restaurants and grocery stores.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

two words:

naked bartenders