1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's done which is sad. He'll bounce around and get cut by 2 or 3 more teams before he gives up, but I think his career is effectively over. He'll be in the CFL before long.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That said, maybe he takes the Saskatchewan Rough Riders all the way to the Grey Cup, he's young enough to do well with lesser competition.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Schaub will put up better numbers than our sad sack group of QBs.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps, but I'd bet the Texans end up winning considerably more games than the Raiders. In a perfect world, our QB, whoever he is, will throw the ball considerably less than Schaub throws the ball.

That said, Schaub isn't going to have much talent in Oakland to work with.

5. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

ye ahe was perfect, but he rarely had a single baserunner in houston, he wa snot the same pitcher in philadelphia.. when he came in th egame was over, there was less opptimism during his tenure. thought he closed out every save, thats great. he wasnt the same guy..

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

His stats since Nov of 2012 have proven otherwise...

7. solid

solid Member

Depends how he is managed; with more freedom and better play calling, he might. I think our QB's will surprise you. There were many problems on the sidelines. I think they have more potential than it might appear. Keenum was handled badly. I look forward to see what he can do under better management.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Yeah, for the opposing team.

:grin:

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

The fact that it's even a debate is pathetic.

SMH

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Look for Foster to put up numbers in line with his best years. Look for our QB's to have low attempts, low yardage, low TD, and most importantly low INT totals.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Brokeback Foster?

Doubt it.

12. emjohn

emjohn Member

With nearly the same number of attempts last year, Fitzpatrick put up slightly better numbers than Schaub....without having the benefit of someone like Andre to toss to.

Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't much to get excited about, but he's going to probably play behind the best protection he's had in a long while, have a good receiving corps to work with, and isn't likely to be asked to play above himself.

I anticipate we'll see a slightly conservative, run dominated offense this year. I doubt O'Brien comes in trying to install a high octane aerial assault without someone he's fully confident in under center.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

May take him a few games to get use to being protected

Rocket River

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was actually thinking about this yesterday, The Texans should have REALLY good interior O line protection going forward. Brooks is quickly developing into a beast and Su'a-Filo should be as well.

15. No Worries

No Worries Member

The weak link is RT. Newton blows and Quessenberry is essentially an unproven rookie.

OBie will earn his paycheck finessing the RT position.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Newton is trash, but I'm going to give Quiz the benefit of the doubt until he shows that he's incompetent. Even then, after last season "only" having one weak link on the O line should be amazing. Not to mention with the addition of Fiedorowicz (Polish hat), we now have a legitimately good blocking TE to throw over there to help out the one weak link.

17. Remii

Remii Member

Tennessee's receiving core as a whole is just as good as the Texans (possibly better). Dre is just one guy, just one target. Tennessee has no one who is better than Dre individually but they do have a few guys who were/are better than Nuk, O.D., etc. creating more targets for the quarterback.

The numbers don't tell the entire story because there's not much separation in the numbers amongst the majority. There are times in a game that a quarterback has to step up and make a play regardless of if they throw the ball a little or a lot and both Schuab and Fitzpatrick don't do that on a consistent basis... Inconsistencies in crucial moments and moments when the quarterback has to step up and make a play is how quarterbacks should be judged as well and Fitzpatrick and Schuab are pretty much a lock at below average in that category... And the Texans replaced their problem against Tennessee's problem.

Russell doesn't throw a lot but when he needs to make a play _ he can make it. That's what separate guys like him from guys like Schuab and Fitzpatrick.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed

19. Fantasma Negro

I wouldn't mind cutting T. J Yates to see if O'Brien could possibly fix Freeman. I don't think he's done at all. With the improvements made to our offensive line I think he can recapture the swagger he once had. Unless he's on drugs I'd give him a shot

20. platypus

platypus Member

Freeman had issues learning the Viking playbook. I doubt o'Brien wants a low IQ QB with horrible accuracy as the signal caller. Freeman will never be a Texan.