1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

not so sure about this... alex has more mobility, but he's pretty much on par with Fitz on everything else.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Neither are a QB that you really want to have but sure, Alex Smith is a lot safer with the ball, you just can't really expect anything from him other than protecting the ball and handing it off.

3. Remii

Remii Member

Yeap... Throw him in the water and see if he floats. And if Dre is right about this team being in a rebuilding situation and if Jayson Braddock is right about the Texans drafting in the top 5 again next year _ it's best to see what they have in Savage this year.

Fitzpatrick has thrown 51 interceptions in the past 3 years and Alex has thrown 17 interceptions in the past 3 years (and has 9 touchdowns to 0 interceptions in 3 playoff games).

Fitzpatrick will lose games for a team like he did last year with Tennessee and Alex won't. You and Bobby must be smoking the same 5h!t. Some really cheap 5h!t.

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Here is that Freedom speech again but from T. J. Yates this time. LOL That damn Mr. Kubiak Control Freak. LOL

T.J. Yates, who guided the Texans to a playoff victory in January of 2012, is excited about the freedom given to the quarterback in the new system.

"If you like a certain thing here, you want to signal a route to a guy, or you kind of just want to take control, there's lots of options that you can have in this offense," Yates said. "Lots of places to go. It's a matchup offense. You like a match up with a guy here, you can go there. We got a lot of players on this team that we can take advantage of it then."

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Alex flourished in the right system like I was stating with Fitz. He was able to be apart of a Super Bowl run back in San Fran. Didn't win it but it wasn't his fault they loss. I would take my chances with a game manger like Smith any day of the week.

6. Sanity2disChaos

Marcu Mariota for QB 2015...Please place ballot*here

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say he's ever really "flourished" but his team did well last year. We'd have killed Schaub for the absolute lack of production that was Alex Smith's career year. Neither Fitz or Smith are the absolute worst QB's in the league, but there are a good 20 or so QB's better than either of them. However, the one thing you can say about Smith that you can't say about Fitz is that he's careful with the ball. You can't ever count on him to move the ball down the field with his arm, but he won't turn the ball over. Fitz is a lot better at moving the ball down the field with his arm, but he is prone to turnovers. It just depends on what you want.

The fact that Case Keenum has a legit shot at unseating Fitz says enough about his shortcomings IMO and Fitz would have a legit shot at unseating Smith if they were on the same team. The only way to manage with mediocre QB's like that is to treat them that way like Seattle and San Fran have done with their mediocre QB's by taking the ball out of their hands and leaning heavily on the run game and defense to win games. I expect the Texans to do the same. Gone are the days of the Texans QB passing 40+ times a game.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Very good take Bobby.

I'm thinking BOB will allow them to pass around 25-30 passing attempts a game and run the around that many attempts a game. Pretty much a balance attack unless we are dominating in one of those areas.

9. meh

meh Member

Seriously, Alex Smith? The guy who was specifically asked in both SF and KC to throw nothing but dump offs? Man, if you thought Schaub was handcuffed...

10. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Member

Yes, I agree. Suck for the duck. Wouldn't mind some crab legs if the duck doesn't work out. Either is fine with me please.

11. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

12. Remii

Remii Member

13. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

Vince Young why not give him a GO
    [​IMG]

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Question is why?

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Because he is done and still could read a simple defense to save his own life. VY might as well hang it up and seek employment somewhere else.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

17. Remii

Remii Member

The best thing VY can read is a Cheesecake Factory menu _ "BUT" _ I'll take him over your boy Fitzpatrick. That dude can't read defenses either and neither can Case but VY wins games.

Fans of a 2-14 team, with only two playoff appearances, and a long rich history of backup quarterbacks can't throw stones (glass house).

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Every team that signs him cuts him almost immediately. Bills signed in him in May 2012 and cut him in August. Packers signed him last year on August 6th and cut him on the 31st. The Browns just signed him on May 1 and cut him on the 12th. Seriously, the Browns cut him. You might say it has to do with drafting Manziel, but they kept Tyler Thigpen (who they signed at the same time as VY) and then added Connor Shaw as an UDFA.

19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

vince doesn't fit any of the criteria that BOB lists in his ideal qb

manziel would've been a better fit over vince

man, i really hope it comes down to keenum vs. savage...i really don't want fitz at the helm

20. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I think that sometime this upcoming season we will see Savage start. From what I've read, he has been impressive, and then some days not so much.

I was wondering, is there gonna be a thread specifically for OTAs?