1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You dislike Melo that much??

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's not a lot to like, he's a volume chucker who plays no defense and is a cancer in the locker room. Both picking up Melo and giving Alex Smith 18 mil a year are franchise destroying moves.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Exactly...it's very meh, but it's at least meh.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Sometimes you have to swing for the fence. Morey loves big names and you know that. Qbs feel now if they go to a few playoff games their market value is atleast 15m. Sad but true.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

They really need to stop smoking crack before going on the air.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Hmmmm... That's interesting because he said kind of the same thing about the quarterbacks in this draft and now he's saying the same thing about the quarterbacks on this team.

If the competition is pretty much even a coach may go with the younger and or his guy. Savage is O'Brien's guy... I've said already I think Savage will be under center by the 4th-6th game of the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts. Pre-season games could probably decide it if O'Brien's statement is truthful.

They have to see what they have in him before the next draft and they already have tape on Case, TJ, and Fitzpatrick.

7. sammy

sammy Member

Wrong part of the board but I'll play.

Melo was forced into that role. He plays better D than Parsons and is effective at the 4. 45 fg, 40 3 pt isnt bad. 3 pt % is great actually. He can adapt his game to fit in Houston. Rockets get 60 wins with Melo who once again plays more D than Parsons. We get out of the first with ease...something that's happened once since 97.

#87 sammy, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  8. Remii

Remii Member

People forget that San Francisco became a dominant team while Alex Smith was still the starter. For the past 2 1/2 years he's been winning games in the regular season and his receiving core has never been great especially last year in KC but he stepped his game up both times he's been in the playoffs and most importantly he hasn't been throwing many interceptions.

Depending on the year he has this year he can possibly earn himself a nice size contract. He's not Fitzpatrick.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

How is Melo a cancer in the locker room pimpn. Bwhahaha come on bro. Dude is one of the greatest scores in the game whether you like it or not.

The Texans will not be paying Alex Freaking Smith that type of moolah. It was just a smoke screen. I haven't read any trash like that on the Texans site. Lol

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

10 weeks 3 days, cant wait!

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Alex Smith would be a good addition, but not for no damn 18 mill a year. They must have some good smoke in KC.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If I were OB I would go with my guy. We can't afford to waste 5-6 games with this weak ass schedule. I don't see nothing wrong with a rookie getting tossed in the fire. That's imo can be the best way to groom him. Only in certain situations a rookie quarterback should get tossed to the wolves in his rookie season. One being we already have a polished veteran and the other one being the same situation Carr was tossed in.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see Alex Smith being a much better option than Fitz honestly. He's not a good QB and shouldn't be viewed as any more than a temporary stop-gap. He's not any team's "QB of the future"

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, I wouldn't imagine you would read it on any Texans site, it was just idiots on the radio. Not 100% of Houston sports radio is terrible, but it's pretty bad. You can be certain to hear the absolute worst possible takes on any situation if you listen for long enough.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

*wouldn't

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL trust me I've heard plenty of insane comments on these sports radio station.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Alex is much better than Fitz pimpn.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I don't think the schedule is as weak as you make it out to be Baller. The Texans aren't the only team that has made moves this year.

And we don't have a polished veteran... Fitzpatrick is more like tarnished than polished and right now O'Brien is subliminally telling you that when he says all these dudes are pretty much even.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I worded that wrong Remii, I wasn't using those two examples for that reasons. I wasn't saying Fitz is polished. But was stating I don't have a problem with a rookie QB starting in his rookie year. If Savage is his guy, swing for the fences and start him.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

sooooooooo true.

personally, i think 6 million per year is too much for Alex Smith.