1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

8 games in Buffalo...a game in NE...a game @ the Jets...He's not a Tom Brady where he can overcome all that, but if you think weather isnt a factor and that playing in Houston wont help, then I dont know what to tell you.

His receiving corp in Houston craps on anything he's ever had to deal with in his life.

And he was average last season in Tennessee...a season when he never got first team reps but was thrown into that situation, terrible receiving corp, etc...

2013 stats:

Player 1
    60.1% completion rate
    7.02 YPA
    16 TD
    12 INT
    82.2 Rating

Player 2
    62% completion rate
    7.01 YPA
    14 TD
    12 INT
    82 QB rating

Do you think RGIII is a below average QB too?

I think with proper coaching and some studs catching the balls, Fitz is definitely better than "below average".

#61 rezdawg, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lets hope he can be average. Also, if Andre is traded, that leaves us with a very unexperienced WR corp. If Dre stays, hes going to help out our QB tremendously this year.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I asking my buffalo friends what to expect from Fitz . . . .

someone needs to talk me off the ledge :D

LOL

Rocket River

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

There's no question he sucks. If he didn't, this wouldn't be an "open" competition.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well . . i don't think Keenum 'sucks'
    So better than Keenum is good.

The question is . . . is either of them 'Average or better'

Looking at our division
    Will we have the second, third or worse QB in the division?

Rocket River

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

His name isn't Matt Schaub, that's all I care about.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Actually the fact that #8 is no longer a QB number on this team makes me very happy...:)

The #8 has been cursed...

8. body slam

body slam Member

Fitz has been average at best the past few seasons. The same could be said for most of the talent he had to work with. This Texans team is most likely the most talent he's had to work with since he was a rookie with the Rams. I look for Fitz to do well with the Texans.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The majority were in Buffalo and pimp we have to factor in all the sacks he sustained. Buffalo oline was horrific and he had no big time receiver.
    I believe under the right coaching dude will be average at best.

Oh and wasn't Tennessee horrible to. Lol

Gents give the man a break.

10. Remii

Remii Member

You and Dawg are making excuses for Fitzpatrick sucking. You guys are blaming everything but the fact that Fitzpatrick sucks.

His receiving core in Buffalo and in Tennessee was not garbage.

And I'm not buying that weather stuff either. It's not always snowing up that way during the months of September, October, and November. And he sucked it up in the AFC South so that throws the weather argument out the window.

Ken Whisenhunt has the "quarterback guru" tag as well and he kicked Fitzpatrick out of Tennessee as soon as he took the job. One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

11. Remii

Remii Member

That's a "who's the prettiest girl in a ugly girl contest" question. But I say maybe 3rd behind Luck and Chad.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Since when do these numbers count as "sucking"?
    62% completion rate
    7.01 YPA
    14 TD
    12 INT
    82 QB rating

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Lol we are not making up any excuses Remii , just stating the other obvious. I tend to look the entire picture. But if you think he trash , it's not my job to convince you otherwise. Im challenging you to view the entire picture pimpn. Who knows he might thrive in BOB's system. We shall find out in 90+ days.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just heard the 2nd worst Houston sports take of the year just now on the radio. They were trying to make the case for paying Alex Smith 18 mil a year in Houston if they (wisely) refuse to pay him in KC. That's just behind the "Carmelo Anthony to Houston" crowd for the most derptastic take in Houston sports.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think "average" or "meh" is what comes to mind, not really "sucking".

17. Remii

Remii Member

I don't think Fitzpatrick is trash... I think he's garbage... Hot garbage and or dumpster juice if you will. Lol...

12 interceptions in 10 games as a starter and went 3-7... Tennessee would have had more wins if wasn't for Fitzpatrick because they lost some close games (sounds familiar...?). Yeap, I call that sucking it up...

18. Commodore

Commodore Member

knock on Keenum was his inability to pick up blitzes, that has to be a concern for BoB

19. solid

solid Member

Bet he has more ideas on how to fix that than Kubiak did. Keenum couldn't audible under Kubiak. Brady is often flanked by two running backs for protection. Kubiak never tried that once for Keenum. Also, draws and screens were rare. Kubiak has this notion that you impose your will or nothing. You don't adjust, you make the other team adjust. Sounds macho, doesn't work.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

BOB said that all the quarterbacks are pretty even. Hmmm who's going to separate themselves from the wolf pack as the alpha dawg?