1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open QB competition

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 27, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just the thing, he WAS asked to do quite a bit, the Texans were asking Schaub to throw the ball almost 40 times a game, that's the workload of an elite QB. When you give a QB like Schaub or Flacco that kind of workload you get more interceptions than TD's.

The hope is that going forward they won't treat middling talent as if it is elite. The Texans need to put a muzzle on their starter much like San Francisco and Seattle has done the past several years with Kap and Wilson in order to limit the damage they can do and set the team up to win with defense and the run game. You don't call plays as if you have a Drew Brees or Peyton Manning when you don't have a Drew Brees or Peyton Manning if you want good results.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

The thing with kubiak is he didnt help his young qb (Keenum) out by calling plays to get rid of the ball quickly. When you are getting blitzed every freakin down you help him out by calling a screen, a rollout, a quick slant. Anything but sitting in the pocket waiting for a play to develop. It was comical how he would not adjust to defenses.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Hmmm. In my mind, an "open" QB competition means that your team doesn't have a bonafide QB on the roster which is what Andre Johnson is so PO'd about. At any rate it could be worse. Least we all forget I saw this from ABC 13:

http://abc13.com/80998/

4. Raven

Raven Member

Throws a pick six in practice! I am trying not to laugh. I have nothing personal against the guy, but dumping him should have happened years ago.

5. Remii

Remii Member

I wouldn't be so positive that Case will be the #2 guy. Case is Kubiak's guy, not O'Brien's. Every new head coach wants their own quarterback if there's not a proven starter already there and Savage is O'Brien's guy.

Savage will hit the field at some point this season when Fitzpatrick starts F'n up and or it's clear the Texans aren't in the mix for the playoffs. They have to see what they have in Savage before the next draft...

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Fitz wins this competition with his eyes closed.

People dont give Fitz enough credit. At all. During his last 3 year in Buffalo, how many QBs threw for 71 TDs over that span? 10 or 11? He's put up some very good numbers considering the situation he was in.

For all those that wanted better numbers or whatever, let's not forget that he had to play half of his games in Buffalo...an outdoor stadium, with swirling winds, and uncomfortable weather conditions. You guys dont think that replacing those 8 games with the cozy conditions of Reliant will help?

If Fitz can throw for 28 TDs (not a far stretch based on his production in Buffalo) and keep his INTs at 12 (not a far stretch based on his production in Buffalo)...those are pretty impressive numbers. I think he can reach that goal with BOB coaching him up, surrounding him with higher quality talent, and giving him a good environment as far as weather is concerned.

7. Nero

Nero Member

This. It's as though people just automatically assume the guy is a zero. That may or may not be the case, but at least look at his history. There's a reason Buffalo gave him the $$. You could go so far as to say that his problems were more to do with environment and a terrible roster than any shortcomings in his game itself. Plus, playing against the Patriots twice per year automatically puts you behind the 8-ball.

Fitz will start, he will probably play well, Andre will come in, discover the guy can actually play, and have probably his best TD season. Meanwhile, Savage will become the backup and all the old vestiges of Kubiak's QB era will be gone.

Then, they can re-evaluate the QB situation in next year's draft, with a year of Savage in BOB's practices under his belt, and maybe they spend a #1 on Fitz' replacement, and Savage just ends up being a backup, or trade bait.

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Yates is a goner for sure in my opinion. Is going to be between Fitzpatrick and Keenum. Tom Savage is a project, in about 2 years he'll be ready to go.

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

And don't forget he has Andre Johnson to pass to. I think this team can compete for the playoffs, they do indeed HAVE talent. The problem is they don't have a quarterback, a franchise "Tom Brady" like quarterback.

10. smr6

smr6 Member

[​IMG]

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed with everything you just posted.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

Just coach speak. It's Fitz's job unless he just completely bombs. If, and it's a big if, he can keep his ints down he can be serviceable. He is just a streaky guy and I think that's something that fans will have to live with.

13. No Worries

No Worries Member

Savage is the only QB who is safe.

OBie will pick the best 2 of the other 3 QBs. OBie wants to win now, not hang on until Savage is ready, if ever.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

I believe that one reason that Rick Smith is still here while Kubiak isn't is that there were disagreements between the two that Kubes won out on but Smith was proven right on in the end. Such as Manning. We can't know for sure, but it's quite possible that Rick wanted to go after Manning, but with him being 36 and coming off a more serious injury than what Schaub had and maybe having to cut players to make room for his contract, Kubiak was more comfortable sticking with Schaub.

15. Remii

Remii Member

He also threw 54 interceptions and had 14 fumbles during that span as well... But one can hope.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Correct...and that's why I pointed out that he plays half of his games in Buffalo.

Im not saying this guy is all-world. Im saying he can be better than people give him credit for.

In Houston, he wont be asked to do nearly as much as he was in Buffalo. Fitz isnt the guy you want shouldering the load. But, as a guy that can manage the game and make some solid throws...yes, he can be that guy.

Again, take out the terrible conditions of playing in Ralph Wilson stadium...and convert those 8 games to 8 games at Reliant, and my guess is that you'll see a nice reduction in turnovers.

Nobody here is saying Fitz is a franchise QB...but he's not the dog **** that some people are making him out to be. He's an average NFL QB. And with an average NFL QB, I think this team can be a 9 win club.

17. ipaman

ipaman Member

Yea Fitz is the starter and a pretty good one at that. QB position was UPGRADED from last season. How much depends on Fitz and what he is capable of in BOB's system. But the dude can sling it as evidence from his Buffalo years. Let's hope he can bring that form but clean up the mistakes.

18. Remii

Remii Member

All of those turnovers weren't in Buffalo so can't blame all of that on the weather. Plus they never played pass December anyway. What was his excuse last year in Tennessee...???

And Buffalo didn't ask him to shoulder the load because I believe they leaned on the running game a lot.

I don't believe Fitzpatrick is average... I believe he's a below average quarterback and should be a backup at best. But maybe O'Brien has some magic he can apply to Fitzpatrick, but I'm not getting my hopes up. And I'm not making excuses for his past failures just because he's now a Texan.

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Most won't believe this until they see it and then later understand it's more about "TEAM" football then it is having a big name qb. This has been evident looking at the past three super bowl champions but what do we know as texans fans about that... also it's not yet known who will succeed out of all these qbs that were drafted.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Yes, by all means keep hope alive! This is a guy who's been on five different teams in five years. This ain't the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or even 6th reincarnation of Joe Montana we're talking here but a journeyman QB intended to be a stopgap fill-in until BoB can draft a franchise QB. I expect they'll run a pedestrian offense with Fitzpatrick - one designed to minimize his impact on the offense. Whether that works out this season remains to be seen. We'll all just have to wait and see.