1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Open letter to Jordan Hill on relying on talent alone to excel in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Assuming the word on the street is true that he thinks it's mainly talent that makes you a star in the NBA rather than hard work...

Based on the 10,000 hour rule** from best seller Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers: The Story of Success:

"The secret to success is very simple: practice. Although most people think that world class performance requires huge talent, research shows that 10 years (or 10,000 hours) of practice can make anyone a top performer in pretty much any field, from sports to music to business.

The talent myth is very easy to believe when you look at people at their peak. People forget that Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team, or that Abraham Lincoln lost numerous elections, or that Barbara Blackburn failed typing in high school (she went on to become the world’s fastest typist, with a peak of 212 wpm).

The good news is that practice makes perfect, so anyone has a chance. Just put in your 10,000 hours, and you’ll make it. But I’ve heard a lot of people citing this statistic lately, and they tend to miss one critical point: not all practice counts. Fortune Magazine reveals what it takes to be great:

“So greatness isn’t handed to anyone; it requires a lot of hard work. Yet that isn’t enough, since many people work hard for decades without approaching greatness or even getting significantly better. What’s missing?

The best people in any field are those who devote the most hours to what the researchers call ‘deliberate practice.’ It’s activity that’s explicitly intended to improve performance, that reaches for objectives just beyond one’s level of competence, provides feedback on results and involves high levels of repetition.

For example: Simply hitting a bucket of balls is not deliberate practice, which is why most golfers don’t get better. Hitting an eight-iron 300 times with a goal of leaving the ball within 20 feet of the pin 80 percent of the time, continually observing results and making appropriate adjustments, and doing that for hours every day – that’s deliberate practice.”

So before punching your time card and starting to count your 10,000 hours, make sure you’re doing the right kind of practice. Undeliberate practice doesn’t count, which is why it’s possible to work in the same office for 30 years without becoming good at anything.

http://hunternuttall.com/blog/2009/04/how-to-become-an-expert/

**From Outliers: “The idea that excellence at performing a complex task requires a critical minimum level of practice surfaces again and again in studies of expertise. In fact, researchers have settled on what they believe is the magic number for true expertise: ten thousand hours.”

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it's both.

lebron works really hard, but don't tell me his physical talents don't matter :grin:

3. Trackball

Trackball Member

Words to live by. I hope Hill really does read this. Hell, I could use this advice.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

sounds tiring. is there a quicker way to be great?

5. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Very inspirational. So that's what is wrong with my golf game ;)

6. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Ask GlenRice.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's simple. Look at Stromile Swift. Don't be that.

8. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Something about him reminds me of Brian Grant but maybe a better shot blocker? (No it's not the dreads) I don't think he is near as physical as Grant at this point but wouldn't that be nice! He did play center for a bit too! Maybe it's just me hoping he turns into that type of player.

Btw... Brian Grant was also drafted in the first round, eighth overall pick!

9. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Dear Jordan Hill.

Please do not go to Cheesecake Factory.

Before you know it, you may turn from beefcake into just that...

a Cheesecake.

Please.

-A Devout Fan

theSAGE

10. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Nothing wrong with going to the factory every now and then. Hell, Dwight Howard ate cheeseburgers before some of his olympic games. Not like literally before the game, but you get it.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

this is the 2nd post i have seen you write on this dumb subject. at first i thought you were joking, but now it seems like you are actually serious. :rolleyes:

you do know the cheesecake factory has more than just cheesecake? it also has not so delicious entrees. it's not like hill is fat. hell if anything the kid needs to be eating more and hitting the gym non-stop over the summer.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How about we just show him the following:

[​IMG]

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Reading the guy's Twitter, he does not exactly sound very smart. Somehow I don't have the feeling that he has the same positive attitude that we had from Carl Landry.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well it's not like anyone uses English on Twitter any ways.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

From what I've heard, Hill has a good work ethic. I can't believe how many people are ready to jump on his case when most of you guys have probably never seen him play in an NBA game, let alone in Rick Adelman's system for the Houston Rockets.

16. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

He does improve tremendously in the past few years, from not able to get on any college team, to a lottery pick. As long as he keeps working hard and learn the game, he should be fine.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Rubbish!!! Rubbish!! Rubbish!!
    If there is no talent to start off with, no matter how much training the result will only be mid level at a maximum. :p

18. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

In deed, there need to be a mixture of talent and hard work to become the absolute best. Hard work is more important though.

You can have little talent but be a hard worker and become a good role player in the NBA. Take Battier or Hayes for instance. But they could never become an allstar level player because they lack talent and physical gifts such as size and athleticism.

We've seen many busts who had grat talent too. Stromile and Gerald Greene come to mind. I won't put Milicic in that group because he isn't a great physical specimen. He just had great technique as a high-post player. He was also inhibited by Larry Brown in his first season which i think contributed to him busting. However, he didn't work hard after working with other coaches too.

19. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

You talking about practice?

20. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member