1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open letter to James: The first step to playing at a 'high level' is Denial

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Open letter to James: The first stage in 'playoff recovery' is 'overcoming denial'

This is what we need to Blazers to be saying about Harden: "He's doing it at a high level. He's making tough shots. He's getting to the foul line. He's doing the whole package. He's tough for us. We gotta figure something out... soon."

Instead, that's what Harden is saying about Aldridge.

Harden, the first step to any recovery is denial, and that means admitting that you've been hurting more than helping the team in the first two games, and not playing at a high level, making tough shots, getting to the foul line, bringing the whole package, and making it tough on the Blazers where they can't figure you out.

Aldridge scored 46 and 43. You've scored half that and shot 8-28 and 6-19 for a team with an offense designed around you. It's not a slam, it's a fact.

Every player has a bad game, but to blame your own teammates for 'not making stops', 'we gotta make stops', 'it's all about making stops', to that I have to say, you're the one guy who has to 'stop', as in stop denying that you're not playing at a high level, or that your current level of play is directly correlated to being 0-2. Two makes instead of two misses, and the Rockets would be 2-0. It's not just making stops.

Instead, own up to the fact that you're not playing at a high level and believe in yourself to play at a high level and PWN the Blazers, because that's what championship players do. If you honestly can't admit that you're not playing at a high level now, as in, "I'm ALWAYS playing at a high level, sometimes the shots go in, sometimes they don't", I'm sorry but no one will agree that that's playing at a high level, not 6-19, no.

The worst part is, if you already believe you're not playing at a low level, that it's your teammates' collective fault for not getting stops on Aldridge, then there's no mental capacity to take your game to a higher level, and that pretty much showed between Game 1 and 2.

I love you James, I just want to see you swallow some of that pride and out-beast Aldridge, and become the Blazers nightmare you were meant to be.

#1 Tuk88, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

how is that denial?

3. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think I have read more stupid post since the game than I have read all year long.

It's the coaching, open your eyes.

4. TheJet

TheJet Member

I've been steadily moving towards this pov myself. After the first two games I'm firmly on board. We need a better coach.

5. Tuk88

The title should read, 'The first step to 'playoff recovery' is 'denial'. Couldn't change it for some reason. As in, admitting you're in denial.

Shooting 8-28 and 6-19 isn't the coach's fault. Believing it's all the coach's fault is denial. You may as well give up now then, because McHale isn't going to become a better coach in two days. However, Harden can definitely play better in two days, but you can't play better if you already think you're at your best, which is what Harden seems to keep telling the media - I can't play any better than I am, sometimes the shots fall, sometimes the shots don't, it's the defense that has to 'make stops'. Something tells me Jordan, or even Aldridge, wouldn't settle for an answer like that.

Seriously, I couldn't believe he was saying this in the post-game interview.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

To be fair with Harden, he is still learning and relatively speaking young. I can imagine those are the words barked out by our beloved coach McHale in the locker room after the game and got stuck on his head. In Game 3, I want to see more PnR with Harden handling the ball, less post plays of Howard.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Harden is denying that he's playing poorly. "Some shots go in...some shots don't"

14-47 and thinking his offense is fine is denial.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Yea i am pretty disappointed that Harden is trying to cover up a UFO story. He knows what he see. He knows he's been hauled by an alien named Mathew and as a result, his mind is messed up. He knows he's not the same and that he had hurt the team more than helping them. And he needs to own it up and say I am sorry and I'am the reason why we SuCK. It's pretty obvious James. People that watch the games are the WITNESSES. Can't deny the truth...you can cover a story up like that.

10. steady

steady Member

I'm less interested in Harden going all confessional than in having him play to his potential in this next game in Portland. If he needs to put off the self examination stuff until after the playoffs, I am down with that. Right now I just want James Harden to play like he is capable of playing.

11. Tuk88

The point is, if he doesn't think he needs to up his game, then he can't.

I would LOVE to see a split screen to see what Aldridge does to prepare for the game mentally, and what Harden does.

It's not like the mind doesn't need as much training as the body does, and champions will probably tell you mentally it takes more.

Bo Porter just told his reliever (Josh Fields) that he wasn't coming into the game mentally prepared, that his bullpen sessions looked like he was playing toss versus pretending like he was actually pitching to batters. Fields changed his approach, and didn't allow a run in the next four outings, though who knows where his mind was at last night.

I'm telling you, Harden does not sound like a guy that's ready to be a leader and a champion. Hopefully that changes in 24 hours.

Ask any great leader, and they'll take the blame when things are bad, and share the praise when things are good, not the opposite, as Harden is communicating in the playoffs.

12. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

I am the leader I dont need to change.
    I've been playing basketball everyday, how long have u been play?

13. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

u guys understand? just wont work for this kid.

14. Tuk88

Exactly what this thread is about: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=253489

Nate Fitch, best known as Johnny Manziel’s close friend and business manager, is well connected and tweeted this after Game 2:

"Someone at the game tonight with a lot of credibility told me Harden was partying hard all weekend. Selfish."

Dangit that I can't change the thread title to "The first step to 'playoff recovery' is 'overcoming denial'"

15. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

I thought a couple of times James looked shook......