1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OOTP Baseball Sim League

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by Heath, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Heath

Heath Member

We're about to start the 2016 season with the FA and draft today so this could be a good time to holler out for/to new and former members.

We have these teams available:

Baltimore
    Oakland
    Chicago (N) (Oski where did you go?)
    Cincinnati
    Pittsburgh
    San Diego
    San Fransisco

Anyone interested check out our league at:

http://home.trollnet.no/havard/ootp/

2. Heath

Heath Member

We're currently in the playoffs for the 2016 season, so anyone interested to join would be entering for the 2017 season. To join all you have to do is post what team you'd like and you would most likely be given it.

How to find what teams are available?

http://home.trollnet.no/havard/ootp/league.htm

The league page shows all teams and when you click on their links it will display owner. If the team is listed with:

Manager: Computer Manager

then the team is most likely open for the taking.

I say most likely because if a former manager would want them back before we start next season I will return them to active status. To make it easier I will list open teams and their former manager if any:

Anaheim Angels (Castor27)
    Oakland Athletics
    Cleveland Walrus
    Baltimore Orioles
    San Francisco Giants
    San Diego Padres
    Chicago Cubs (Oski2005)
    Cincinnati Reds
    Pittsburgh Pirates
    Montreal Expos (Miguel)
    Atlanta Braves (Htownhero)

there are more former managers than that but they have been out for a while so I'm not holding their team anymore.

So just pick a team (and a backup team in case you select a team that may be returned to a former owner) and it is yours. What we ask is only some activity in posting lineup changes and stuff. Other than that it isn't very complicated.

If you wonder about anything feel free to ask and I'm sure plenty will be around to answer.

Heath - the evil commish :)

3. synergy

synergy Member

I'm interested, but I have no idea what is going on or how one goes about playing this game. Can someone please write a FAQ or something similar?

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'll see what I can come up with..I don't have time right now, but I will later on tonight.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Okay, let's see what I can come up with here...

You may already know some of this stuff, synergy, but this will be for anyone who has interest.

OOTP stands for Out Of The Park and is a simulation game. As Heath has mentioned in the initial post, you pick a team that you want to run. As the general manager/owner/manager, you are in charge of everything. This means signing free agents, re-signing your own free agents, drafting rookies, setting your line-ups along with depth charts and pitching staffs, trading with other teams, working on weaknesses of certain players in spring training, trying to raise fan interest, etc.

So it is different from a fantasy baseball league because you are calling all the shots - just like a real owner would do in MLB. Now it is very critical that you look over the reports that are on your team page. Here you will find a batting report that shows how your players are performing when it comes to hitting. There are also pitching reports and fielding reports plus financial information, listing of top prospects in your organization, minors report, etc.

However, the 2 most important, IMO, without a doubt have to be the ratings report and player development.

Here is a link to a ratings report:

It is broken up into 2 sections (really 4) in the hitters and pitchers. The first part shows numbers - these are the actual ratings for these players when it comes to hitting for average, hitting home runs, drawing walks, etc.

The scale goes like this (normally):
    0-2 equals poor talent
    2-4 equals fair talent
    4-6 equals average talent
    6-8 equals good talent
    8 - and higher equals brilliant talent

You will see the same thing for the pitchers, then below the hitters are repeated but there are no numbers - just their talents like "average", "good", etc. Now if you see a guy who is a "3" in homers but his talent is listed as "brilliant", then that means he has not developed into his talent yet but is in the progress.

Now here is an example of a team's player development report:

What this report tells you is if there are certain players who were able to go from a "good" to a "brilliant" or from "average" to "good" , etc in a certain area. Sometimes, you might get an increase in 4 areas like increases in hitting for average, home runs, obtaining walks, and avoiding strikeouts. However, you can also get talent decreases such as a "brilliant" going down to "good" and an "average" going down to a "fair" etc. This is a true wildcard about this game. I would not advise trying to build a team hoping to constantly get good talent increases. They will happen but you should not expect to see them happen all the time.

There are more reports than these, but I feel that these 2 are the most critical and ones that most look at first when a new sim is posted.

A couple of other quick things:

1) The sim moves at a very fast pace - usually a week, most times 2 weeks are simmed a day by the commissioner of the league (Heath).

2) The results are uploaded to the site:
    After checking on your team, you can post lineup changes on our special ezboard which is dedicated to the sim:
    We also use this ezboard (it is free to get an account) to talk about trades (discussing them as well as posting actual trades), spring training, and other various things related to the sim.

3) There is a room set up in the chat which is pretty much dedicated to the sim as well. Instead of the current channel for the Rockets, it is the #houstonrockets channel. I cannot stress enough how much can be learned by going to the chat. There you will always find veterans of the sim, who can answer any questions you have and most trades happen because they were discussed in the chat. Our FA and draft always take place in the chat (the majority of it).

4) Don't be afraid to ask for help! A lot of new guys will use an "advisor" who helps them evaluate players when it comes to possible trades as well as help on doing contract extensions and other things. The worst thing you can do is to come into the league with some uncertainty about stuff but act like you know what you are doing. Trust me - I have experience with this and you don't want to make the same mistake I made when I joined close to 3 years ago.

5) Try to stay active if you do decide to join the league. I know it can be very daunting when you first look at all the stuff, but there are people like myself, Heath, The Cat, Zac D, etc who will be more than glad to help any "newbie" along. We understand that things come up that cause people to drop out - they are always welcome to re-join when they have more time. Just try not to join and sit around and do nothing - be proactive! If you don't know how, ask one of us to help you along.

I know that I have only given a quick (well it was supposed to be in the beginning!) overview of the league. If guys like Heath and some of the other veterans want to add anything else that they feel would help new people along, feel free to do so.

6. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Just be sure to trade with me first ;)

7. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heath,

I would love to join if you are needing more people - granted I am not 100% sure, exactly how it works, but would give it a try and would remain very active.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

IRC - webnet server channel #houstonrockets a lot of us hang out in there, and usually there is always someone in there who can fill you in.

I was in there for 3 years before they finally got me into OOTP, I hated baseball but now i'm addicted to this dumb game. :(

9. Heath

Heath Member

2016 season over, and 2017 initialized.

Rocketball you should join (and check out the links in this thread).

others also welcomed to join - a new team have opened up btw - Arizona Diamondbacks (Las Vegas Lights in 2016)

10. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Does everyone in your league actually OOTP or does everyone just submit instructions on how their team should be run?

Just curious...I'm already in too many on-line leagues (OOTP, FOF, FBCB) as it is... :)

11. fatman510

fatman510 Member

we just post lineups, trades and such on our message board, not everyone has ootp.

12. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Heath, go ahead and sign me up.....

Hopefully I can catch on pretty quick...

13. Heath

Heath Member

Cool Rocketball, but you have to pick a team first. :)

http://home.trollnet.no/havard/ootp/

Just browse through the links at that site and then post your selection at the forum linked there. Btw we are currently doing the free agency and we will finish that and the draft on monday.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

PS - fatman will rape you.

15. Heath

Heath Member

2017 Season will start later today

16. Heath

Heath Member

And another season about to close. For those new this season, if you want to resign your guys with expiring contracts you have to do this before a new season is initialized which could be any day now depending on how many games the WS take.

2018 season will follow suit, and if anyone is interested in joining the info on how to should be in this thread.

17. Heath

Heath Member

Maybe I should add a list of open teams at the moment:

AL
    Baltimore
    Cleveland
    Anaheim
    Oakland

NL
    Montreal
    Atlanta
    Chicago