1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Only way the Rockets win the Championship next year is to...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FANfrom86toNow, May 26, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think the price for Butler was Gordon and pJ last season. Hindsight should probably tell us to make a similar deal this year. 3 solved and hopefully MLE could wrangle in Marcus Morris, green, mirotic, aminu or one of the free agent stretch forwards available this season.

Paul, Harden, Butler, Morris, Capela

Is a mighty starting 5. Only problem would be bench support. It’s gonna be veteran minimums and 2 ways.

Or sending CP home in a deal for Kemba?

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

if the trade happens after draft night, then the salary of the 3rd pick, Lance Thomas, DSJr, Frank, Knox, and Robinson is more than enough to match salary

3. BigBum

BigBum Member

2025 and 2027 first round picks?
    6ers need earlier picks bc they are winning.

4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think Philly has the leverage that Minny had last year. Butler can opt out and walk for nothing. So his opt-in trade price won't be as high as last season's trade was.

5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea If NO has nothing great on the table i could see how that package is mighty tempting. I know boston could rev up something better of coarse, other teams would see AD as there upcoming Franshise player and smoke the roster for him, who knows.

6. LUK3

LUK3 Member

That’s who we need, but not how we get them.

BigBum likes this.
  7. FANfrom86toNow

While that might be enough salary, a 6 for 1 deal is not going to happen due to player limit restrictions and other CBA elements that I'm sure would play into that type of deal. What's your scenario to make that happen if it even can and both teams would want it. Knicks would also (which it seems that they probably will), need to get either KD or Irving to pair up with AD. WIthout KD they still aint winning jack with just Irving and AD, so I don't see that happening, imho.

8. FANfrom86toNow

We have all our picks after this draft. No need to go so far out.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Regardless of how utterly implausible your idea is, it still sounds suspiciously like a Random Trade Idea.

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

11. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Trade Capela.
    Trade Nene.
    Trade Eric Gordon.
    Sign DJ.
    Sign Tyson Chandler.
    Sign Austin Rivers.
    Sign Jimmy Butler or Kris Middleton.

Go into next season w/ a lineup of
    Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Jimmy Butler
    PJ Tucker
    DeAndre Jordan

Or

Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Kris Middleton
    PJ Tucker
    DeAndre Jordan

12. FANfrom86toNow

Yes, I'm not saying that other teams can't give up more, I'm saying who will because of the rental potential and then still having enough to make it a championship squad to make AD want to stay beyond the rental. Toronto did well because they are in the finals. That doesnt' mean that any team that gives up a lot for AD will make it to the finals to entice him to want to sign long term. Houston can do that with my trade scenario if no other team is willing to beat it.

Once they put out their trade packages, if they are offering much more than Houston, they will look to AD for some indication that he is willing to sign long term because of what they are giving up. If he doesn't give that, who makes a trade offering much more than Houston? If a team trades too much for him, he can just walk the next season to a team that is in better position and has cap space to sign him.

13. FANfrom86toNow

LOL....I don't smoke though. Ain't even had a drink today either.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

It wouldn’t be a 6-1 trade, I just named some of the dudes they could use. The 3rd pick , DSJr, Frank, and LT’s expiring is already enough. U can substitute Frank with Knox, etc

it was already reported that they were willing to give up Zion for AD, so we know where the Knicks stand

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The deal the lakers offered was better. Boston can put a better package on the table. Lots of teams can do better if they’re willing.

Hell, the Rockets can do better.

We aren’t going to trade a bunch of also rans and get buckets and AD...that’s not happening.

16. FANfrom86toNow

I don't think without all 6 of them that it's enough salary, but I could be wrong.

17. FANfrom86toNow

They won't deal with the Lakers. I don't think Boston is going to do it, but we will see. Clint and PJ are starters on the best team the Warriors have faced in 5 years, imho.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

DSJr, Frank, LT, and the salary of the 3rd overall pick is enough

19. FANfrom86toNow

Okay, maybe that does work. And you think NO does or wants that trade? If the Knicks don't then get Irving and Durant, they won't be going anywhere either.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If you honestly think that package is even in the top 10 of what Pellies can get that I don’t wanna spend too much time going back and forth.
    But LA and NY and Boston and Clippers and a bunch of other teams aren’t worried about the rental aspect. And David Griffin will not for his first big move get Capela for AD. Think about this years draft. The top center prospect won’t even be a top 5 pick. If you’re trading AD and building around Zion would you rather get the top big man prospect in the draft on a rookie contract and then some or Capela at $18 million a year and nothing else?