1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

only steve o could do this

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Look, I openly called for trading Francis before we even knew McGrady was available. I agree that Francis has always been overrated. But now it's a much scaled-down question. The question is, "If you were Rick Adelman, would you rather add Steve Francis to your roster or have $2.4 million to spend on somebody else?" At that price, even I would add the guy. I say that even though I don't think he meshes well with our superstars. I would do it just for the 20 or more games in which I expect at least one of our superstars will be unable to play. It beats the hell out of asking Battier, Howard, and Alston to manufacture enough points to keep us alive in the standings.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly at that price you can not afford to pass him up, and he may actually thrive as a role player, moreso than he has as the guy driving the bus.

DD

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm glad we signed him (I guess...) but I really don't understand why people are so excited about it. Like Will said, I'd rather have him at that price than a lesser player, but there are people here who are acting like he is the 2nd coming of Michael Jordon or something.

In his 8 year NBA career, he has a grand total of ONE playoff win.

He'll be a good 3rd or 4th scoring option off the bench, but that's it. His signing is nothing to get your panties in a wad over IMO.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ima,

I can't speak for everyone else, but for myself I am ecstatic because of the entire off season, and the job Morey has been doing.

And the fact that signing Steve makes our roster more versatile and our PG position one of strength rather than weakness, makes me thrilled.

Surely we all know that Francis was a flawed player here in Houston, but having him come back as a role player in a system that is suited to his up and down/attack the basket style of play, is very interesting and exciting.

I think Cabbage pointed out in another thread that he still can't run a fast break, and man....is he ever right.....

But, maybe as a finisher........

DD

5. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I got my Stevie jersey on right now. He isn't the Franchise anymore (he isn't the Franchise player), but he is a welcome addition to this team. He will be great off the bench. On any team in the East, and even a few in the West, Stevie would be starting.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wouldn't read too much into the start time. Seems he is just having a little fun-- after a couple of very frustrating years, no less. Steve Francis is what he is. Guys in the Rockets organization likely have enough information on him to think he's worth the risk.

7. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

i would rather we waited for more frontcourt help

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't believe there's nearly enough excitement over the Francis signing... I can't believe how much this guy's stock has fallen.

People still think he's going to play like he's on an AND1 tour... The guy is GOING to be a major asset for us. He's an upgrade in literally every single way over Alston, and it WILL show.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I agreed with your take on bball IQ on this team, but I do think having guys like Yao and TMac running the show will minimize that.

And I totally agree about the frontcourt. I still think we are mediocre in our frontcourt. Battier is a tough defender, but he won't generate offense. Scola is a total wildcard at this point. As much as I like the move, I'm not sure it will pay dividends quickly. Behind them is a bunch of end of the bench type players or unproven talent.

I would still like to see us add one really competent frontcourt player. I could live with the three being a combo of Battier, Bonzi, McGrady, Novak, etc., especially given the chance of a small lineup, but I'd like some insurance behind Scola and Yao, particularly if Deke doesn't re-sign. I've seen the Haslem rumors on here. He would be ideal, but I'm not holding my breath.

Morey actually said after the Scola press conference that he hopes fans realize that they aren't likely to go 20-0 out of the gate - that traditionally with new coaches and roster turnover, it takes a couple months for the players to become acclimated. That's why depth, including solid veterans, is so important.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Players I would like the Rockets to go after to solidify the front court.

PJ Brown
    Foster
    Haslem
    Webber

Any one of those 4 would be a good addition, and with PJ & Webber you don't give up anything.

It will surely take a while to gel, espeically with a radically new offense, hopefully the defense will hold the fort and keep the Rockets above .500 until they gel (My guess is around January).

DD

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

OK, but the next question is, are you more likely to get the frontcourt help by "waiting," or by stockpiling new assets to free up old ones for trade?

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

[​IMG]

(For future reference, the word is jell.)

13. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

ah i wish this was an open press conference

14. Fuse

Fuse Member

We will probably get Foster before its said and done. Then when Alston gets traded for Posey, we'll have one of the most complete squads in the business.

15. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

damn rockets just bringing back all their old ball players haha posey mj sf who else?! cuttino?!

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I love the Scola move, but where will he rank among NBA 4s in April? I know no one knows. No one.

Haslim IMHO is certainly attainable - Rafer redux, Head (Kopono-esque) and Hayes (Haslim-lite) as Heat fills out their roster for the cost of a good but replacable asset.

Najera and McDyeiss should be readily available andx attainable, and both are on deals ending next summer.

17. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Perfect explanation, well said.

18. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

3:33pm ehh?.. I'm guessing he will be late for his own conference.... JK!! :D Welcome back Franchise

19. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The Rockets just added:

Francis
    Scoal
    Butler

For a grand total of V-Span, a future 2nd rounder, cash, and the mid level exception.

Hmmmmm!!!!! I'd say we are the toast of the league. About every team would have keeled over to be in the Rockets shoes. Francis averaged 25.5 points in the last 4 games of the season (April 13 to April 18); after coming back from his nagging injuries. He also average 4 assists and 5.5 rebounds in that span. Of couse his turnovers will alwasy be a part of his game 3.25 during that span.

But isn't a player capable of scoring 25.5 pts. 4 asst. 5.5 reb. and 3.25 TO worth every penny and more of the 2.4 million he's getting paid in TODAY'S NBA? The same league that was paying Cato 7 million a year?

I'm glad Steve is a Rocket!!!!

20. Fuse

Fuse Member

I was pretty pissed when we got rid of posey. I thought he was one of the bright spots of the season he was with us.

Actually, I am all for bringing in a scorer at the 2 position that has decent size. Mobley fits the requirement, but his price is a little steep.

I would rather bring in Foster and Posey, then trying to change our team for mobley to come back.