1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

only steve o could do this

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Jul 19, 2007.

1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

no clue how to play the game? He's a former rookie of the year/3 time allstar, wat kinda assanign/uninformed comment is that? He may not play exactly how you want him to play but give the man credit, he has skills.

2. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Give him #33 to wear, he'll be twice what he was when
    he started. After all, #33 is a very auspicious number,
    I don't think anyone will beat him off for taking #33,
    whoever had that number wouldn't think he was a jerk for choosing #33.
    Steve is the master in that decision and if he took off with a new number,
    there isn't any debate that he would set new ground.
    I remember when steve blew by defenders every game without effort.
    With the buyout, i think his wad of cash right now must be pretty nice so he has the motivation to play and win.
    There's no doubt that we'll be spanking our opponents next season.
    With a strong roster, we will get the monkey off our back to move on in the playoffs.

/read carefully

#42 nyquil82, Jul 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Bingo. Scheduling the press conference for 3:33 is hardly a sign of humility. I'm hoping, nigh praying, that Francis is just having fun with all this. He's excited to be a rocket again, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he shows up in shades, we've got an ego of Damon Jones' level on our hands.

4. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

hes got talent. hes got skills. he just never makes those around him lift their performance. he is child like. and people confuse emotion with heart. we dont need emotion, we need efficient play.

5. Panda

Panda Member

There's a reason he only made playoffs once.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So why did they decide to sign him? I agree with you, he has a lot of talent but just doesn't understand the game very well.

7. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

so we can make a 3 for 1 type trade...alston head wells and a pick for mike miller sounds good to me...we need a legit starter behind tmac and battier not a whole lot of average players. we need yao to get the ball and get shots and free throws...

8. Mr. Clutch

That sounds geat to me, if we could package all this stockpiled talent for a superior player.

What will be Steve's role? Surely not to get Yao the ball? Maybe more of a scoring punch off the bench (which I thought was Mike James' role).

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yea Mr intangibles was no major last year in the playoffs

Rocket River
    Stevie Franchis will shake you haters off

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

so the prima donna antics continue...

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

regardless of his number, i'm rocking this bad boy today

[​IMG]

NAVY BLUE ROCKETS 4 EVA!!!

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

denniscd,

I agree a lot of this, but I am not worried about Francis initiating the offense or having the ball in crucial situations. I think that will be Tmac and Yao for the most part, I look at it as having better players around them that can play off the ball and actually be a threat to where the defense has to honor that threat or they get wide open shots.....and they are all better shooter and players than we had around Yao and Tmac last year.

It just gives the team more flexibility IMO, and with Francis essentially being on a one year contract, if things don't work out.....away he goes.

You can ask anyone that has been on this board how I feel about Francis (I nicknamed him Steve Fancy)....I could not stand his style of play, but I also recognize that the ISO ball was what Rudy wanted him to play....I hated it.....

But this is a completely different role for him, and at such a low cost, I agree with the Rockets taking that chance, what have they got to lose, and they could win big.

As for the 3:33 thing, I wish people would not read too much into that, I can almost guarantee that is a marketing thing more than a SF thing.

DD

#52 DaDakota, Jul 20, 2007
  13. Mr. Clutch

Right, sure it is. If it was a marketing thing they would put it out there. It wouldnt be insider info by denniscd.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is not insider info, I heard it on 610's radio broadcast yesterday....and it is posted in the Steve Francis thread too.

Posted at 3:17pm yesterday by Gummi Clutch

DD

#54 DaDakota, Jul 20, 2007
  15. Mr. Clutch

Well ok, nevermind then!

Although, how much marketing value does this really have?

16. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

greatest of all time?

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

In my experience corp marketing guys though they are hired to be creative come up with the most idiotic and banal ideas.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

more moochie norris duck

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sounds great - maybe we get Conley jr, too?

BTW - how many 10s of 1,000s of people married on 07/07/07? That was positive, headline news (a yawner to my wife and me as we were more original 7/7/77 wed). 3:33 for Stevie? Great! Fun, and that's something even with 52Ws this squad has lacked: FUN.

Stevie is not Franchise, but a welcome home is merited. Stevie is not the answer, but a welcome addition to the puzzle.

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sounds good to me, too. I think your earlier suggestion about Steve being Stevie "Role Player" is really a key to our success. I'm hoping that this is closer to the new reality. As a role player his talents would be maximized and his flaws minimized.