1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Only 6.5 games back...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream_team, Dec 28, 2001.

1. dream_team

dream_team Member

from being a playoff team!

so the spurs, lakers, mavs, wolves, and kings are for-sures.

it also doesn't seem like the suns will slip out of the top 8, and as much as we hate the jazz... they should be able to slip in.

so that leaves the sonics, clippers, blazers, and us for that last spot.

clippers? they're just too good at losing to make me believe in them.
    blazers? do i really need to give reasons?
    sonics? payton can't do it all for them.

and with the rockets getting francis back, and hopefully rice back soon.. and the emergence of griffin... hey, i don't see why not?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wow, another long timer with few posts.

I think the key number to watch is how long the 8th seed stays at around .500. We can make .500, and it should become our goal. We simply are going to need a lot of help making the playoffs, though, especially with our April schedule. The help begins with the 8th seed being around .500.

Let's pray for a Utah injury (for once!!! in a decade, sheesh) and pray for the Clippers to come down from their very fortunate early schedule.

But first, beat the Warriors!

3. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

The Rockets have an awful uphill climb. Their worst enemy at this point is time. 53 games remaining sounds like a lot to make up <I>just</i> 6.5 games, BUT...

<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=3><TR BGCOLOR=#CCCCCC ALIGN=CENTER><TD COLSPAN=8><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Rockets Uphill Climb - 12/28/2001</B></FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#CCCCCC ALIGN=CENTER><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Standing</B></FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Team</B></FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Wins</B></FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Losses</B></FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Games<BR>Remaining</B></FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Winning<BR>Percentage</B></FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Projected<BR>Wins</B></FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1><B>Projected<BR>Losses</B></FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#99CC99><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>8.</FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>Rockets</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>8</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>21</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>53</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER BGCOLOR=#FF9999><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>63.5%</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>42</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>40</FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#CCEECC><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>9.</FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>Sonics</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>15</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>15</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>52</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>50.0%</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>41</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>41</FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#99CC99><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>&nbsp;</FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>Jazz</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>15</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>15</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>52</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>50.0%</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>41</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>41</FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#CCEECC><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>11.</FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>Blazers</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>13</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>15</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>54</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>46.4%</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>38</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>44</FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#99CC99><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>12.</FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>Warriors</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>12</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>17</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>53</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>41.4%</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>34</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>48</FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#CCEECC><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>13.</FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>Nuggets</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>9</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>18</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>55</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>33.3%</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>27</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>55</FONT></TD></TR><TR BGCOLOR=#99CC99><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>14.</FONT></TD><TD><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>Grizzlies</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>8</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>20</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>54</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>28.6%</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>23</FONT></TD><TD ALIGN=CENTER><FONT FACE=VERDANA SIZE=1>59</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>
    As of today, the Rockets need to win 63.5% of their games remaining and the rest of the teams ahead of them must not exceed their current winning percentage in order for the Rockets to guarantee themselves a playoff spot.

For comparison, a 63.5% winning percentage over an entire season gets you 52 wins. I don't know that anyone really believes the current lineup is capable of a 52-win season.

It's a daunting task, but it should be fun to watch.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tb-Cain,

We made our move last year with 35 games remaining.
    Our record was 23-12 = .657!

5. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Like I said, a daunting task that should be fun to watch. We also were able to get a good contribution from Dream down the stretch. Maybe Griffin provide us that same lift this year. Torres certainly seems to be able to give us as much, if not more, than Shandon did. Thomas seems to be the equal of Taylor's contribution, on paper at least.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

On the flip side, we currently have 157 ping pong balls, which in all likelihood will get you a top 5 draft pick this summer.

7. dream_team

dream_team Member

crispee:
    yeah... sorry for not posting much. i visit like everyday, but hardly post. I'm getting sick of all the Rudy T bashing and how terrible our offense is that the BBS just isn't as friendly as it used to be.

Tb-Cain:
    wow, nice graphic. looks like you put more thought into this than me.

Clutch:
    i don't think another lottery pick will help this team. I think we got the talent. if we do get another lottery pick, i would rather see them trade it for a solid veteran (like the clippers).

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

TB, nice chart. It is too early to think about the draft. To make the kind of move outlined in the chart, the team needs to play uptempo ball and pressure defense. Of course our poor shooting days must be behind us.

We need to go to the line more often
    We need to move the ball more
    We need Francis to be more aggressive offensively taking 23 shots a game.
    We need def fg% to be 43% maximium
    We need to create more turnovers per game
    We need to start the offense earlier