1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Only 5 Contenders This Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The Champions lost a few games to some not so good team too, LOL so what is your point.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We are already contenders and we are still working on our chemistry...Sccarryyy

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Oh one more thing hahahaah the Heat lost to them same damn 76ers....What do you have to say about that Sweet Lou

4. dje243

dje243 Member

Dumb Question: I know that LAC has beaten us twice, but shouldn't we be ahead of them in the standings if we have the better record anyway? I just noticed that they're still listed behind LAC in the playoff standings (not that it matters in the slightest at this point).

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Clippers are divisional leader and can't be lower than 4th seed.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

But the Rockets are showing progress. They look much much better than they did in the first 8 games of the season. Given that they currently have the sixth best record in the NBA at 13-5, it must be a frightening thing for the rest of the league. Once they get the defensive rotations tightened up (they were bound to be shoddy early in the season due to the 3 new players in the starting lineup) they are going to be visiting the NBA's best teams and taking home the W. Just like they did last night against the Spurs.

1 person likes this.
  7. archinkent

archinkent Member

I would like to see how we fare against the Pacers to know where we really stand. If our offence can beat their defence, we are in good shape.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Point is one or two games doesn't mean anything. But it's nice :)

Progress isn't measured in 10 games. We are playing well this past week. But we BARELY beat the Spurs. It's one game. We also chocked against Dallas.
    I'm just saying hey we still have 64 games to play! Why do we need to start saying we are this or that now. Just like people who were panicking when we were 5-4 - we shouldn't be going wild at 13-5.

We're a very young team. It's hard to predict what this team will struggle with 6 months from now. Right now the rest of the NBA doesn't quite have us figured out. We don't even know what's going on.

I'm surprised we are 13-5 to be honest - that's the best start we've had in 17 years. I didn't think Parsons, Lin, and Jones were going to be this good. On the other hand, I didn't think Howard was going to be that bad of a post up player. I didn't think he was going to be good, but didn't realize he was going to be a turnover machine.

Regular season games don't tell the full story. Overall record is more important than which team beat whom at the end of the day. We've seen teams go 0-4 against someone in the regular season and then whip that team come playoff time. Don't get caught up on these match-ups. One or two games means little. SOS and overall record is what matters.

What we need to pay attention to for this team is how it performs under pressure. SA was a good test. Did we pass? Sure...but we failed by giving up a 23 point lead too. We definitely failed against Dallas. And Harden almost blew the game with poor ft shooting again. That's a worrisome sign. We didn't handle pressure well against the 76'ers, the Lakers, and Toronto.

Just takes time man. A lot of time.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You are being a little bit too picky Sweet Lou. Every team has blown big leads in this game bro. How is winning a game to an elite team a failure. Pimp that doesn't make any sense.

Yes we have a long season ahead of us but as of right now they are playing good basketball and deserves to be praised for it. :grin:

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Maybe now you delusional fans will stop getting excited over one game. Losing to Utah shows a lot more about this team than beating the spurs. Come playoff time teams can't take any games off and have to bring it 48 minutes a game. Our stars don't do that.
    We are not contenders this year. OKC and spurs are in the conference finals.
    And unless we're lucky with the match ups we won't see the second round.

11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

what was that? hah hah

just checking in to see if clutchfans are having a meltdown yet

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

we aren't one

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watch this team, and tonight doesn't surprise me. It's just one game, but it's not all that different from games we won. We win but we don't look all that impressive.

We are winning and losing when we hit our shots - not because we are out hustling, or our rebounding, or playing better D. And that's a bit alarming.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i expect 2nd round and thats how far this team should go. def not contenders, esp whith howard playing below his level. has there been 2 straight games where he was beasting in the paint?

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Really? How so? Is it because when playoffs roll around we have to make sure we beat the likes of Utah to win a championship?

Or is that that a regular season loss in Utah without Parsons and Lin is indicative that we can't beat anyone in the playoffs at full strength? I wonder what you thought would happen to Miami last year when the lost to the pathetic Wizards?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

2nd round and if we get super lucky, no injury, super chemistry.
    We get to sniff the 3rd round and that are the WC finals.

Hope the ship sails there and beyond

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Seriously if the Blazers can continue their streak for more than 50 games then I will consider them a borderline contender/contender

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Only if it's three-peat and no lockout seasons. Otherwise it doesn't count, imo.

19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

No it's simple. The playoffs are series, we have to bring it for four games and we can't even bring it for four quarters. Adjustments need to be made and stars need to be on their game all the time. This team doesn't have it.

It's easy to say well Utah was just one game just like San Antonio was, but you'll see the point will be proven come playoff time. Unless things change dramatically, especially with attitude, it's gonna be similar to a Tmac playoff series.

There should be no reason we've dropped this many games so far this season. I understand if it's one game or two, but western contenders dont flop this much. Especially after being on a win streak and beating the spurs, a serious team should wipe the floor with Utah.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Lakers loss, Utah, Philly, dropping the 20 point lead against Dallas, going to overtime with the raps. Pathetic.
    I'll tell you besides knowing OKC and spurs and clippers would handle us in the playoffs, I would not wanna face a team with Kobe or dirk in the first round.