1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Online gamers crack AIDS enzyme puzzle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oomp, Sep 20, 2011.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-161920724.html

Online gamers have achieved a feat beyond the realm of Second Life or Dungeons and Dragons: they have deciphered the structure of an enzyme of an AIDS-like virus that had thwarted scientists for a decade.

The exploit is published on Sunday in the journal Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, where -- exceptionally in scientific publishing -- both gamers and researchers are honoured as co-authors.

Their target was a monomeric protease enzyme, a cutting agent in the complex molecular tailoring of retroviruses, a family that includes HIV.

Figuring out the structure of proteins is vital for understanding the causes of many diseases and developing drugs to block them.

But a microscope gives only a flat image of what to the outsider looks like a plate of one-dimensional scrunched-up spaghetti. Pharmacologists, though, need a 3-D picture that "unfolds" the molecule and rotates it in order to reveal potential targets for drugs.

This is where Foldit comes in.

Developed in 2008 by the University of Washington, it is a fun-for-purpose video game in which gamers, divided into competing groups, compete to unfold chains of amino acids -- the building blocks of proteins -- using a set of online tools.

To the astonishment of the scientists, the gamers produced an accurate model of the enzyme in just three weeks.

Cracking the enzyme "provides new insights for the design of antiretroviral drugs," says the study, referring to the lifeline medication against the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

It is believed to be the first time that gamers have resolved a long-standing scientific problem.

"We wanted to see if human intuition could succeed where automated methods had failed," Firas Khatib of the university's biochemistry lab said in a press release. "The ingenuity of game players is a formidable force that, if properly directed, can be used to solve a wide range of scientific problems."

One of Foldit's creators, Seth Cooper, explained why gamers had succeeded where computers had failed.

"People have spatial reasoning skills, something computers are not yet good at," he said.

"Games provide a framework for bringing together the strengths of computers and humans. The results in this week's paper show that gaming, science and computation can be combined to make advances that were not possible before."

1 person likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Black ops FTW

1 person likes this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Saw this a couple of days ago. Amazing.

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

as long as they arent allowed to tackle racism, they still can be a benefit to society.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I saw this on MSN a couple of days ago, it is really cool stuff.....community scientific study.

BRILLIANT !

DD

6. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i just signed up for foldit because of my biochem lab. Its is pretty fun if you like puzzles and 3-D. it feels like solving a complex rubics cube.

http://fold.it/portal/

7. Nero

Nero Member

1. Become a Gamer

2. Discover Structure of Elusive Enzyme

3. ??

4. Profit!

Seriously though, this is awesome, I can see it now, a movie in about 5 years starring Bruce Willis and some gamer with the secret to curing whatever disease is popular at the moment, Bruce is trying to save the gamer from Euro-Bio-Terrorists! Woohoo!! Profit!!

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ha scientists got Pwned.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Stuff like this is awesome. Along these lines, I run a Folding@Home client on my desktop, another on on my GPU, and also run a IBM World Community Grid/BOINC client on my desktop and laptop. If you've got spare cycles, you should donate them to research like this. Distributed computing can aid in some awesome causes and this story is proof.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

can't believe more people here don't have folding setups. for shame

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wasn't this part of the premise in StarGate Universe?
    The guy solves a problem in a game???

Rocket River

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I came in to say exactly that.

This sounds like the beginning of Stargate Universe.

13. aghast

aghast Member

[rquoter]Online gamers crack AIDS enzyme puzzle[/rquoter]Pffft.

I just shot my 200th pigeon on GTA to get to 100%. Little f---er was hiding on top of a bridge.

Clearly, I feel I've made the greater accomplishment.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Spents dozens upon dozens of hours on Mass Effect and all I learned was a crappy ending.

15. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Can we stop wearing condoms now?

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Only when you're not sticking it in the fart box.

17. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

What if I like women of color? I am in South Korea right now....is it safe to visit the pino bars?