1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Online dating - good or bad?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rm365, Mar 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

So I met this chick online in a chatroom. Pathetic, I know.
    Anyway, we started talking on the phone and stuff and she seems interested.
    I've never done this online thing before so I was wondering if it is a good idea to pursue the relationship further or not. My friends seem to think its a bad idea, and they say that she could be a psycho or something. They don't have any experience in online dating though. So if anyone out there has any experience with this sort of thing, please lemme know. Thanks.

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

She's a person, just like you. Give it a shot. I haven't done it myself, but I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

What kind of chatroom?

3. rm365

Cool, thanks... it was a "romance" chat room in yahoo chat.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

While not in a chatroom, I did meet my wife online. So it can and does work. :)

5. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

IT IS BAD. Meet girls in person instead, like at school, a gym, or church/religious institution. It's not impossible that there are no decent girls to talk to online, but generally a significant majority of girls you will come across there have some kind of strange issues (that you will likely find out about after you date them for a year). :confused:

Women in general are social creatures; it is better (for you and her) to talk almost always in person or on the phone exclusively if possible. If you are just talking to the woman online it is easier for her to be deceptive with you, or for you or her to misinterpret things that are said.

6. coma

coma Contributing Member

Just make sure she's not a German Sex Cannibal.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Stop talking about me in that way!!!! :mad:

8. rm365

Hmm... thats cool to know. Congrats.

9. rm365

LOL! I'll do that.

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

my roommate is dating a girl that he me online - though not from a chatroom...but online nonetheless. then they started talkin on the phone and then they got together and are now dating.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well, I myself have been talking to this girl from houston online for a few months now. Too bad she lives so far away, she's not that bad looking. The thing that scared the **** out of me was some guy calling my house wanting to know why there was a 3 hour phone call to california from his house where the only girls are 14 years old. :eek:

12. Chump

Chump Member

i met my wife online so it can work out

we got to know each other in person though, the online talk quickly lead to IRL meeting and that is where we feel in love, in person, not online

so with that said, I hope this internet gal of yours lives in the same town as you...if so meet in person asap

if its long distance..I would suggest that you dont persue it..

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

all women have issues and i met my gf online and she is hot and we have been together nearly 2 years now

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hey, man. They're ALL nuts, online or not.

One thing to consider is that unlike the "good ole days," everyone and their syphillitic mother is on the internet these days. That means mostly normal people and a smaller percentage of psychopaths use the net just like you and me and my psychopathic, syphillitic mother. I'd say go for it unless it's a long-distance thing; that just doesn't work.

15. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

Don't listen to Red Chocolate.

It's not like only weirdos/nerds/geeks/pedophiles are on the Internet. Normal people are online, too... and a good number of them happen to be single.

If you're looking, what are the odds a female version of you is as well?

And yes, watch out for the cannibals.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

bad - i met alot of these online posters in real life and it's gone horribly wrong :p