1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Onion Ring Shortage -- WTF

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Oct 4, 2021.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Its all over now. Why even go on?

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  2. Roscoe Arbuckle

Hash Browns > Tots.

boomboom likes this.
  3. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Had some great onion Rings with a cheese burger with my son yesterday at Top Notch on Burnet Rd. The memories from that place are Alright, Alright...

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I’ll take hash browns or potatoes o’ brien over anything

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How did the salmons touch the onions?

6. Buck Turgidson

Any potato product is better than tots.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wth is the difference between a tater tot and a hashbrown other than the hashbrown looks like a tater tot that's been stepped on?

Either one is better than any french fry... except maybe the waffle fry... or maaaaaaybe a proper crinkle-cut fry.

boomboom likes this.
  8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

None of them ain't got nuthin' on the pube of the potato world...the seasoned curly fry.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Amen. Especially Popeye's fries. They may as well batter and fry that crap. Disgusting.

but hey, can I have one of yours?

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love diner hashbrowns. Too bad McDonald's hashbrown is just a giant tater tot.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Smokey

Real hash browns shouldn’t resemble a smashed tater tot.

King1 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. Smokey

McDonalds fries are the best but I prefer seasoned fries that have that coating.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Since this is a thread about onion rings, I want to use it to bemoan the passing of an Austin diner that sat for decades at Shoal Creek and West 6th, Hut's Hamburgers, or just Hut's for most of us. They moved from South Congress, where they opened in 1939, to that location by the bridge over the creek in 1969 and come hell or high water (and there was high water from time to time) they served some of the best onion rings on the planet. Another part of Old Austin biting the dust, this one in October of 2019. Great burgers and lots of other classic fare, which I enjoyed parked in a booth by a window looking out at the world, when I wasn't asking for another bottle of ketchup for those huge rings.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Buck Turgidson

Exactly! Those aren't even hashbrowns.

And speaking of DoD being wrong, the tater tot is just about the lowest form of potato you can get, unless you're going to smother them in mayo and pickle relish or whatever and call it potato salad.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Diner hashbrowns are nothing more than tater tots they didn't take the time to form into a tater tot or a McDonald's hashbrown. Lazy bums.

"Hey, let's take less time to make these... chop up some potatoes into a pile, fry 'em and add a couple of bucks to the price... don't forget to call 'em 'homestyle'". :D

Tator tots above all.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Man, I'm not going to judge since I never ate there, but onion rings like that are a disappointment to me usually. It's like one ginormous piece of onion coated and fried. It's bigger than the dang hamburger. Damn-near need a knife and fork to cut through it. I prefer onion rings to onion hubcaps.

R.I.P. to your restaurant, tho', Deckard. :D

17. Buck Turgidson

First meal I had in Austin after I moved there in '93.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Lol @ "less time to make these". You've never had a tater tot in your life that didn't come straight out of a freezer bag into a deep fryer!

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's what I said! It takes less time to make a pile of shredded taters and fry 'em than to do the same with a tater tot and actually form the tot. Assuming the restaurant wants to call them "homemade", "homestyle" or "from scratch" or whatever moniker they want to put on them. If in the suburbs, add "gourmet" or "artisan" if you want. Now if you're saying if the restaurant is buying in a bag from the freezer, you're right on the time. But I'd still take the store-bought tater tot over them all. Crispy exterior and soft interior... goodness.

They're all just potatoes that are fried in some manner, unless you get fancy and add your personal flair to them. I mean, if you want to get hipster, we can do that, too : https://www.houstonchronicle.com/en...article/Houston-s-tater-tot-boom-13860786.php :D

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I ordinarily prefer the onions thinner and with a flaky coating, but these were delicious. Very sweet onions and they did something special with the batter. You would have been surprised. :cool:

TimDuncanDonaut and Dr of Dunk like this.