1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One worker dead at Vikings' Stadium other Seriously Injured

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 26, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been at a meeting very near the Vikings' stadium and noticed that what has been an incredibly busy construction site oddly quite with no work going on. I'm very sad to find out the reason why is two workers on the roof fell in an an accident with one dead and the other one seriously injured.

As someone who works on the other side of building buildings the most danger I face is getting paper cuts from drawings I respect those who actually build. Construction in the US is generally very safe but accidents still happen and it is very sad to have that happen to an iconic structure like this.

On another personal note I have been involved with the project and was meeting with a firm that is working on the parking for the stadium so this tragedy hits somewhat close to home.

My thoughts and sympathies are with the family, friends and coworkers of those who died.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13516460/worker-dies-accident-roof-minnesota-vikings-new-stadium

Roof incident leaves 1 dead, 1 injured at Minnesota Vikings' new stadium
    MINNEAPOLIS -- A construction worker at the Minnesota Vikings' new stadium died and a second worker was seriously injured when they fell Wednesday morning while doing roofing work.

The employees of Berwald Roofing were working on the north side of the project when they fell at about 7:45 a.m., said John Wood, a vice president for Mortenson Construction, the general contractor.

The workers received medical attention on site before being taken to a hospital, where one died and the other was in serious condition, Wood said.

"Today is an extremely sad day for the Minnesota Vikings organization and the entire stadium team," the Vikings said in a statement issued Wednesday afternoon. "Our sincere thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the individual who passed away, the worker who remains hospitalized, and the more than 1,000 dedicated construction workers who are on the site every day and are also affected by this accident."

Work on the project was stopped for the day. Mortenson released no other details of the accident pending a news conference later in the day.

U.S. Bank Stadium is expected to open in fall 2016. The stadium, which will cost more than $1 billion, is being built on the site of the team's former stadium, the Metrodome, on the eastern edge of downtown Minneapolis.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Prayers to the workers and families affected.

I worked for the company that does most of the shipping for the Otis elevators being installed at the stadium. So I guess I've been indirectly a part of the building as well.

Hope you stay safe out there.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The roofing sub has been cited before for lack of proper fall protection. I'm guessing when this is investigated they will find that proper procedure wasn't followed and this accident could've been prevented.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks but the only danger I face is from getting a paper cut or carpal tunnel. My work has been limited to being on bidding teams and developing construction details.