1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One-Way Mars Mission: Would You Boldly Go?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by oldgunrules, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good grief. :)

It was more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. The thrust was this: You're never too old. I speak from experience.

You're reading far, far too much into my comment.

The whole point of the one-way trip is to reduce the materials needed for the expedition- chief among them fuel to get back. Having stations would probably increase the need for fuel/supplies over and above a two-way trip.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Already been.
    Got kicked out for selling snow cones.

Errrrrr

Sorry that was Hell not mars.

3. Fatty FatBastard

Gayest reply ever.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5R0YpZXHW8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-5R0YpZXHW8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Don't you wan to see C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate before it's over?.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I don't think the Americas had little oxygen, little guarantee of survival, and is 34 million miles away. I doubt we now have the technology to just go to a foreign planet and suddenly build a colony there. Why can't we try with something a bit closer to home, with absolutely no atmosphere, like the moon?

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There better be 2 or 3 girls for each guy, and not the ugly engineering kind.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

At one point in my life it would have been a 'yes'.

Right now, I couldn't stand the thought of missing my 2 year old son growing up.

Though, let's be honest - you'd probably go bat**** insane up there after a while.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

If I could bring 3-4 Victoria Secret model type women and I was the only male. And every 3 years, if they can send 3-4 new women in similar appearance and attractiveness, to help me grow my food, clean my clothes, and have sex with me, I'd go.

9. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

I'd go.. 27 no kids not married.. i got skills that would help on something like this as well. Like if they asked for applications 100% I would apply. The female issue we would certainly have to discuss..

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

But I don't think LerBon is capable/smart enough to start his own civilization.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm taking my talents to Mars.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It would be a dick fest. Trust me.

13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I would do everything I can to convince my wife we should go, but in the end I would not leave without her.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I wouldn't do it simply because my emotions are heavily influenced by my surroundings/lifestyle. I'd probably off myself after a few weeks if not on the way there.

15. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I would definitely do it. It's a chance of a life time. But first they need a better toilet system and I need my computer with hard drives fill with lots of movies.

16. aghast

aghast Member

Why not?

It worked for Australia.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what happens on mars, stays on mars.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Just realized I've seen the most appropriate video for this thread:
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ej3Szj6WcCY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ej3Szj6WcCY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Either they've woke up in hell or did an unimaginable crime to be sentenced to death with you. :grin:

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

To be a part of the first human settlement on Mars -- yes I would go. You have to understand that this would be a massive investment -- they would make sure the astronauts would have plenty of activity both physical and mental so they wouldn't go crazy.

This wouldn't be like settlers heading west to build their own farm -- their work would be exploring and maintaining the habitat. Everything would be built and ready to go upon their arrival.

[​IMG]

Valles Marineris would be a prime location -- one might find a surprisingly earth like environment at the bottom of that canyon under all those thick clouds. The air pressure at the bottom wouldn't be earth-like, but it would be much stronger than at the surface.