1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One-time request (at least for this season)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GMNot, Mar 18, 2014.

1. GMNot

GMNot Member

Many of us fans who had the Rockets broadcasts "thrown in" with their DTV package, without LP or the regional sports package, have been disappointed that even games covered by NBA TV and LP (opposing team's broadcast) are blacked out in markets where the same game would have been available when the Rockets were with FSN Houston.

I used to keep up with the thread about the Comcast situation, but gave up on any resolution for this season's broadcasts last year. I haven't looked for info. to see it the first round games will be on ESPN, TNT, or will stay on Comcast. If they are only on Comcast, many of us will miss the 1st-round playoff games. Surely, this isn't what Mr. Alexander and the Rockets intended.

I'd like for someone -- preferably from the Rockets organization -- to sort through the conjecture on us fans part, of what is going on, and explain why the games on NBA TV are blacked out outside the typical 75-mile blackout radius. (I think the short answer is that since DTV never reached an agreement with CSHouston, they "won't," or "can't" show the broadcast. But LP is also blacked out, even when the opponent's broadcast should be available. I tried that during a LP "free trial" last year and it was blacked out. It's just a real raw deal for fans who have no skin in this game of greed between CSH and DTV, as an example "provider." And the fact that no deal was reached with either DTV or Dish says something -- what I'm not sure.)

I'd also like to know whether the organization has a goal favoring fans, such that broadcasts we used to receive, as mentioned in first paragraph, will be the norm again next season. I live in the College Station area and the likelihood of me every planning to buy tickets and attend a game in person are slim to none. If Rockets games were deemed outside the Blackout area last season, I would hope the goal/intention is to return to that.

Or, if no one from the organization will respond (and I remember reading that people there do read Clutchfans and reportedly, some have accounts to participate here) then maybe, someone who talks to someone in the organization can respond. I just want some "official" skinny about intentions and plans. It makes a difference in planning whether or not to revitalize the interest many of us have lost this season.

As it stands, I hardly remember to check games results, because I stopped looking at the schedule. And, truthfully, I've adjusted. If the Rockets never return to my DTV lineup, I will have gotten used to living with that this season. Having the games available like they used to be is a pleasant memory. I'd like to have that opportunity again. If not, I don't think I would pay for LP anymore, if that's the only way to watch.

2. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

League Pass blows. I signed up for ballstreams and never looked back (http://www.ballstreams.com/). It's cheaper and no blackouts.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

League Pass + Proxy = No more blackouts!

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

if I'm being honest...
    [​IMG]

5. bmd

bmd Member

I think they blackout the NBA TV feeds because all NBA TV does is show the local broadcast feed.

If you are in an area where CSN Houston would your regional sports network, you will be blacked out.

I'm pretty sure it's so the local station (CSN Houston) gets the viewers and not NBA TV. In other words, those who get CSN Houston are forced to watch CSN Houston instead of NBA TV, which just broadcasts the local feed anyway.

So NBA TV is blacked out even for those who DO get CSN Houston.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Although I'm sure people and players from the team read Clutchfans, they pretty much never mention the forum or acknowledge they read it. I'm not sure why that is, but it would mean you have little chance of getting someone to address something posted on here. I think you're better off writing to them directly or trying to contact someone from the organization via phone.

7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Barking to the wrong crowd buddy. Sorry.

8. GMNot

GMNot Member

Sorry for a delayed response.

Why the wrong crowd, I'm not quite sure. Even though many Rocket fans have found other avenues to watch games, as posted in response to the OP, the number of posts in the CSN/DTV/other providers thread, would imply more than a few fans were ticked off at how the TV distribution has shaken out.

RV6, I, realistically, didn't expect anyone from the organization to post a reply. It just seemed that I should go through the formality of asking for a forum post, as a matter of record. I, for one, would be pleasantly surprised by an "official" statement of support for fans regarding broadcast distribution.

I think other people have "unplugged", involuntarily, like me to a greater or lesser degree. When the broadcasts were available in the way mentioned in my first post, I'd guess I watched 90% of the games that weren't on CH 20, back then. Now? ESPN and TNT are it.

Maybe the number of households that have been affected by the blackouts are small enough that they don't really matter to the organization, financially. I'd just like to hear someone who "counts" weigh in. No news, in this case, can only be taken as ignoring people who want to feel like they matter as fans. Maybe there is some "on the record" comment that I just haven't seen.

Life goes on. It just is a reminder of the bitter taste it first left in fans mouth. Fans, like players, learn that the NBA teams are first and foremost a business. Fans translate first to $$$, and secondarily to the Red Rowdies. Red Rowdies are an investment to enhance the product.

9. mattthn

mattthn New Member

Manisteru, thanks for the link but as of now the site wont let you register (invite only).