1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One of these days we'll play D!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Dec 31, 2001.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't know when or what time, but you can talk about the offense all you want, but if you don't defend, you can't win! Its not a hard concept to grasp, but its very true to the T. How can you be last in to's forced and last in opponets fg% and expect to give yourself a chance to win? Tonight the lakers had 3 to's ! No Shaq, and we still gave 100, Kobe locked down Mobley, and we still don't get the concept of team. I know Francis didn't play nor Thomas, but this team gives up too many easy shots, they don't play the passing lanes, and basically let the offense do what they want at anytime of the possession. You would think with Shaq not here, the defensive intensity would have been up, but it was as if we were playing an all star or exhibition game.

Its one thing to just be out matched physically in the talent department, but its another to just not even compete at all. Teams just run the ball up the court, guys run their offense and cut thru the lane uncontested, and most shots are so wide open my mama could make them. The treat defensive like a cancer, like their afraid to put a hand on people. Before everyone use the "young " excuse, the Clippers are 2nd behind LA for opponets fg% at .415. Looking at our team, teams are above 47% against us. Thats totally unacceptable for any team. I guess someone, not mentioning names will say Taylor used to help our defensive presence also.

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Ummm...like in Rudy T, perhaps.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hey...welcome to the bandwagon Lee...

DD

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That was one of the worst defensive performances I have ever seen. The sad thing is, even when Francis gets healthy, nothing will change. He isn't exactly known as a defensive stopper, nor is Kenny Thomas. That "game" was the result of poor team defense, and it isn't likely to change any time soon.

Teams always seem to shoot well against Houston. It has been that way for years. The Rockets are always near the bottom of opponent's field goal percentage, and it is getting ridiculous. How I would love it if the Rockets could pull a Dallas, and hire a bunch of defensive coaches to assist Rudy, who obviously knows nothing about defense.

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Never mind.

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What makes this stranger, the Rockets started the year playing excellent D. Glen Rice was a bigger part of that than most people think, especially in transition, usually one of the first back. He could be exposed 1 on 1, but he played good team defense, like the Knicks do, and could tell other teammates where they needed to be. Francis has become a solid defender, while Norris is terrible. Replacing 2 defenders that aren't total liabilities (Rice/Francis), with 2 guys that are complete sieves (Williams/Norris).

In game 1, Atlanta shot 36% (W)
    In game 2, LAC shot 36% (W)
    In game 3, Minn. shot 44% (L) Note: 2-5 from 3 point land
    In game 4, Phoenix shot 51% (W) Note: 14% 3P% (1-7)
    In game 5, Denver shot 48% (W) Note: 17% 3P% (2-12)
    In game 6, Philadelphia shot 42% (W)

We started the season 5-1. When we held the opponent under 42% FG%, we won. Phoenix and Denver shot high percentages, but they were counterproductive from 3-point land. We held Minnesota under 45%, but lost by 2 points.

We've been losing, because we're being lit up from the 3 point line, and torched all the way around.

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

It is just sad that teams shoot worse against the Bulls and Cavaliers than they do against Houston.

I wish that Jeff Van Gundy could come and teach the Rockets a thing or two about defense. The Knicks do not have a lot of good individual defenders, but their team defense has always been top notch. The Rockets have a lot of quick players. They should be able to rotate to open shooters much faster than they do, but the defense always seems to be in disarray. They just don't know how to play team defense, and it is obvious that no one is making an effort to teach them.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

What I wanted to say is give the guys a chance. We're really hurting right now. Rudy may not be perfect, but he's not incompetent as many of you argue. When we have a little stability, get most of our starting lineup back and people have had time to play together as a cohesive whole, I think we'll see better chemistry and better results on team D.

9. leebigez

Nike, we didn't defend early in the yr and we're not defending now. Just because a team shoots horrible from 3pt land and still hits 48-50% thats not good. By them not taking 3's mean they're hip to the game and are getting better shots, thats all. I think it starts with Rudy and ends there too. Next time they play just look how much time teams have to set their offense and run. Look how many times guys just get passes through the lane unbumped or anything. Check and see how guys don't even try to get in the passing lanes once the dribble is picked up. Its terrible and people can point at the offense, which is an entire other chapter, but last in to's forced, and last in opponets fg% will not cut it. You can watch a team like the Knicks and they compete for position on the blocks, inbounds passes, everything. Maybe they don't win the games, but they compete something this team doesn't do on a consistent basis. With or Without Francis.

10. leebigez

Oh i forgot, 30+ asst and 3 F*****g turnovers. That makes no F******g sense! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I know that trading Shandon away hurt us a ton on D!!!!!!

12. chromeNXT

chromeNXT Member

D is key, maybe one day they'll learn. Oneday.:confused:

13. Dm324

Dm324 Member

even if we did play D Cato couldn't get the rebound so our guys feel like it is a wase of time, where is Joel Pryzbilla when you need him