1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One Month In: 112th congress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

"The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."

P. J. O'Rourke

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I was speaking more to the original post, the quoted article therein and those posts in line with that idea. You know, the people actually complaining about a do-nothing congress. Your complaints are more based on those people who equate the parties and on the Republicans who you credit for the deficit.

As an aside, both parties are responsible for the deficit, the Reps for reducing revenue and the Dems for increasing expenditures - SS and Medicare are two of the top 3 costs of government and both were Dem initiatives. You just happen to prefer the contributions to the deficit made by the Dems (more services). I prefer the contributions made by the Reps (less taxation). That is how the deficit exists, trying to serve both of our preferences.

1 person likes this.
  3. JeffB

JeffB Member

Check the growth of the deficit under Democratic versus Republican administrations, then come back and tell us how policies contribute to the deficit. Hint: they aren't even remotely equal.

And don't forget to notice that while Republicans talk a big game about reducing spending, that didn't ring true under Bush and the Republican congress. They didn't just reduce taxes, they increased spending, especially defense and war spending.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

The repubs are really enforcing the mandate that swept them into power.

5. Anticope

Anticope Member

The Republicans spent like drunken sailors while simultaneously cutting taxes, that is how a deficit comes about. At least when the Democrats are spending, they actually have plans in place to finance their actions (healthcare).

All the Republicans did was whine and whine about the deficit and the debt(as if they had no hand in it) as one of their strategies for getting back into power, while anyone with half a brain knows they really don't care at all about the deficit. This is especially obvious when looking at the tax cut situation. In what universe is it a good idea to cut revenue while trying to balance an out-of-control budget?

6. Steve_Francis_rules

Actually, Medicare Part D was passed by the Republicans.

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Completely unfunded as well.

But hey deficits don't matter!!!!! :cool:

9. Codman

Codman Member

Modern repubs will always be bitter. That's just their personality.

10. StupidMoniker

I believe the largest deficits in history have occurred under a Dem congress. Regardless, I never said that Dems grew the deficits the most under their admins, I said that they were the ones who worked on the spending side of the problem. It is a lot easier to raise taxes on the wealthy for a couple years than it is to get rid of entitlement programs, so it is no surprise that the deficits show up in Rep admins when taxes are cut.
    I don't think I mentioned reduced spending. I said Reps grow the deficit by cutting taxes and Dems grow the deficit by increasing spending (generally).
    It is very hard to reduce spending. Especially in huge entitlement programs like Social Security. No one wants to by the sucker that paid in and isn't going to get anything out of it. That is one reason I don't like the separate payroll taxes for social security, it should just be in the general fund. Generally though, Reps increase spending less than Dems, if at all.
    The cutting of taxes is an end in and of itself. This country managed fine with MUCH lower rates than exist now. If I had absolute control I would raise taxes in the short term to get rid of the debt, but that is not going to happen, so I would rather see a tax cut then the continued increase in government spending.

As for talking about the deficit, I would imagine it was like most things said during election campaigns, a means to get elected. Obama talked about ending the wars and closing Gitmo, but we still have troops in Iraq, are increasing the number of troops in Afghanistan, and Gitmo is still open. It turns out that what politicians talk about are not necessarily their priorities.
    And if I were talking only about Medicare part D, that would matter. With or without part D, Medicare is one of the big three items in the federal budget (along with the military and social security).

#30 StupidMoniker, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

When was this? Income tax rates today are lower than they have been since 1916.

12. StupidMoniker

How about 1789-1916? The United States went from being a colony of Great Britain to a military and economic powerhouse.

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

ROFL!!! The example you give is from a century ago? Our society has changed just a little since then.

14. Steve_Francis_rules

If you want to try to pretend that the world today is anything like it was from 1789-1916 and that the US government can operate the same way it did then, I don't think there's any way that anyone here can have a reasonable conversation with you.

15. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Member

And we are all dumber for responding to Stupid, his name says it all...

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Actually the only time in the remotely modern era that this occurred, at least with respect to federal income tax, was the era leading up to the Great Depression....so you've got that going for you.

EDIT: I didn't see the other posts - looks like you're going to go on some idiotic detour that the pre-industrial era with its various financial panics, bankrupt governments, and all kinds of ridiculousness that has little to no relevance today being a utopian model.

Do yourself a favor and take it to the Freeper forums.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Seriously... I know it's funny, but this constant posting of weslinder in his ceremonial republican headgear is excessive. Look, we know he has quite a collection through the years:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but if all we're going to focus on is weslinder's lone and flamboyant personal clothing choices, then shouldn't we blame the whole GOP-convention fashion system? And if the whole GOP fashion system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our political institutions in general? I put it to you, MoonDogg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

One Month In: 112th congress
    _____

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1ytCEuuW2_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. weslinder

weslinder Member

The Young Republican National Convention is in Puerto Rico this year, and RNC will be in Tampa next year. If I go to either, I will use it as an excuse to dress in Miami Vice style the whole time. You know, because when in Turin, do as the Romans do.

20. mc mark

mc mark Member

It's the social issues stupid!

House blocks fed aid for Planned Parenthood

The 240-185 vote on Friday is a victory for anti-abortion forces led by Indiana GOP Rep. Mike Pence. He says taxpayer money should not go to groups that provide or promote abortion.