1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once and for all which side is everyone on?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Nov 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Which of course they aren't, seeing as inflation has been closer to 2% over the past 4 years.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You continue to avoid a debate with me based on facts and evidence. Run away again, little boy. The adults are having a discussion.

3. bigtexxx

that looks like a white flag from your camp to me. Good idea on your part. Not a good idea to write a check that your azz can't cash

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Giving us a total return of nearly 4% over four years. You can get better than 1% a year in a passbook account, can't you?

PWNED

5. bigtexxx

Having trouble incorporating inflation again, bongmeister?

6. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

el miope

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Financial claculator says that compound rated of return is 2.86%.

add in 3% inflation well that would be a slightly negative rate of return.

add in bigtexxx's mythical 2% inflation then we have a slightly positive r-o-r.

pv = -$10,000
    fv = $11,196
    n =4 years
    i? = 2.8645%

boom there it is.

#87 No Worries, Nov 15, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/discm3.htm

Discontinuance of M3

On March 23, 2006, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System will cease publication of the M3 monetary aggregate.

The same M3 that has not just grown, but MULTIPLIED over the past few years. Inflation gone WILD.

M3 figures cut through and capture the essence of living on borrowed money - whether it be the Federal govt., State and municipal govts., consumers, or home buyers. Since Fall 2001, the economy has been flooded with liquidity and cheap money like at no time in man's history. And we have only marginally acceptable unemployment, a stock market that's gone nowhere for 5 years, and a whole lotta IOU's to show for it. At the same time our manufacturing base has been debased in favor of monumental trade deficits. This is the essence of living on borrowed time and borrowed monopoly money.

And Greenspan/Bernanke simply banishing hyperinflation-revealing M3 figures to Gitmo will not make all the problems go away. At the end of the day, a fool or government of fools who owes more than he can possibly come up with will still be deemed bankrupt.

9. bigtexxx

Uhhh, sorry to burst your bubble but neither of M1, M2 or M3 have been used to measure inflation for years.

10. bigtexxx

boom, you're having the same inflation assumption problems that pipemaster moon had

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

<1% r-o-r over four years. Feel better?

Damn, it don't take much for you to get excited about the stock market.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Thank you for helping to reinforce my point further, biggie. Yes, the Fed would rather pick and choose what to gauge inflation on by leaving out such convenient components as energy, food, and home prices in their preferred CPI/PPI measures. The M3 figures are all too encompassing and revealing.

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

This thread derailed into an economics classroom.

Glaiven.

15. bigtexxx

That would be a real rate of return, to be clear, which is not that bad of an outcome.

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That's the problem with a democracy though is that any course of action can only be maintained as long as it has political support. Supporters of the war blame the opponents of the war. Have you considered that maybe it is because the leadership is failing to lead and maintain the trust of the country behind it?

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They like to measure stuff. Makes them feel happy inside.

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

What does 'it' refer to? I just want to make sure I understand you.

:D

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Actually when you do measure some of the country's economic realities, the last thing it makes you feel is happy!

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I would just like to state, once and for all, that I am on the winning side.

Whatever side that may be - I'm on it. Issues aren't important, unless it's just proof that I'm on the winning side - and, inevitably, everything proves that I'm on the winning side.

That's why I like political debate. It assures me that I have some power in what's going on, and that I can exercise that power everytime the winning side does something winning. Seriously. I'm not just posting here, I'm on the team!